Author Topic: Nets: Franchise with a Bright Future?  (Read 6641 times)

Re: Nets: Franchise with a Bright Future?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 11:25:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So, the question is, if my numbers are correct, what can a 5 year-$75 million contract get the Nets for the opportunity to play alongside:

PG: Devin Harris
SG: Chris Douglas-Roberts/Courtney Lee
SF: LeBron James/Terrance Williams
PF:             /Yi Jianlian
C:  Brook Lopez

and a top 4 pick and a number 23 pick?

If the Nets get the #1 pick and draft John Walls would they entertain thoughts of a sign and trade moving Harris/Jianlian/Lee and their #23 pick for Joe Johnson and the Hawks 2012 first rounder and still have a near nax level contract to give Bosh?

They could, if handled right, end up with a starting lineup of

John Walls
Joe Johnson
Lebron James
Chris Bosh
Brook Lopez.

Would Nets fans be dreaming about such a thing? Sure. Is it very likely? Not really. Is it completely impossible? No. It isn't.

Not impossible but wow...that is quite the perfect storm.

I like the nets. If this happened I would not be angry. I wish however that they could win without Lebron but I like the Nets
Tell me about it. I think we in Boston can write quite a few books worth of stuff on why never to think that having a horrible record means getting a top three lottery pick.

But that doesn't mean that Nets fans won't be dreaming about such scenarios and talking them up like crazy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:55:29 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm convinced they land Lebron

I agree.  I think Nets are the most likely landing spot for LBJ.  Second is stay in Cleveland, and I think Knicks are a distant third.  Not only does LBJ get the NYC marketing boost, but also gets the Russia market via the new owner, and also LBJ gets to be the Nets savior. 

Nets have a very bright future, IMHO.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I was looking at Miami and NY too. Those two squads plus NJ figure to have the most cap space next off-season. They're in a similar situation as NJ:

* $18-22 million in cap space for Miami if Wade signs on.
* $20-23 million for New York.
* $20-25 million for NJ (my math was out a million earlier) depending on their draft pick + where the cap ends up.

So all three teams seem to be in the same ball park cap wise. Miami holding the best player in Wade and the Nets holding the best young talent. New York has no advantages.

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 02:54:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Clippers vs Nets

(1) PG -- Baron Davis vs Devin Harris
(2) Top Big -- Blake Griffin vs Brook Lopez
(3) Other -- Chris Kaman vs high lottery pick
(4) Top Wing -- Eric Gordon vs Terrence Williams/Courtney Lee

Which team offers the better situation for a marquee free agent?

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 03:26:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Clippers vs Nets

(1) PG -- Baron Davis vs Devin Harris
(2) Top Big -- Blake Griffin vs Brook Lopez
(3) Other -- Chris Kaman vs high lottery pick
(4) Top Wing -- Eric Gordon vs Terrence Williams/Courtney Lee

Which team offers the better situation for a marquee free agent?
(5) Sharing the spotlight with Kobe Bryant and the Lakers or with possibly nobody and the MY Knicks.
(6) Playing for the Clippers with limited marketing opportunities due to the over saturation of Lakers merchandise and marketing in the area or playing for the Nets in the brand new Brooklyn market with a brand new brand name with a de-saturated market due to the recent demise of both New York based franchises.

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 03:45:04 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'm laughing at everyone who thinks Lebron's going to the Nets.  :D

You can bookmark this page and laugh at me if it turns out I'm wrong, but Lebron's not going to leave for these hapless teams.

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You can bookmark this page and laugh at me if it turns out I'm wrong, but Lebron's not going to leave for these hapless teams.
I don't know Tai. Remove Lebron from the current Cavs team, and they might be as hapless as NJ, NY or the Clippers.

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Jusy to show how haplees Cleveland is without LeBron, per 82games.com Cleveland's offensive efficiency without LeBron on the floor is 90.5 and their defensive efficiency is 99.2%. The only team in the league right now that has current offensive and defensive efficiency numbers that are even close to those of the Cavs when don't have LeBron on the court is.....

You guessed it!!! Your current 0-15 New Jersey Nets with and offensive efficiency of 89.7% and defensive efficiency of 101.7%.

So if LeBron left Cleveland to play in Jersey/Brooklyn, would he really be leaving a team that is all that much different than the one he is on?

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Jusy to show how haplees Cleveland is without LeBron, per 82games.com Cleveland's offensive efficiency without LeBron on the floor is 90.5 and their defensive efficiency is 99.2%. The only team in the league right now that has current offensive and defensive efficiency numbers that are even close to those of the Cavs when don't have LeBron on the court is.....

You guessed it!!! Your current 0-15 New Jersey Nets with and offensive efficiency of 89.7% and defensive efficiency of 101.7%.

So if LeBron left Cleveland to play in Jersey/Brooklyn, would he really be leaving a team that is all that much different than the one he is on?

TP.  The Cavs are an awful team without LeBron.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

I don't know Tai. Remove Lebron from the current Cavs team, and they might be as hapless as NJ, NY or the Clippers.

Well, the Cavs did draft him, and he was born + raised in Ohio. Lebron's not going to a weaker team when Nike already gave him a great endorsement before he stepped foot in a NBA game.

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 05:21:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I gotta admit that I struggle seeing LeBron or Wade joining the Nets. I think they're on a second tier free agent wise.

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I gotta admit that I struggle seeing LeBron or Wade joining the Nets. I think they're on a second tier free agent wise.

Nevertheless, even if they acquired a couple guys who are in $10-15 million a year category (say they pick up Joe Johnson and somebody else), and they get a high lottery pick (in the top 4), they'd still have a very bright future, assuming their talents pans out.

Harris, Lee, CDR, Lopez, and T-Williams all have shown a lot of promise.  They're a high-level SF and PF away from being a really good young team, and they could definitely get both of those things next summer through free agency and the draft.

The Nets don't have to get LeBron, Wade, or Bosh to become a young team like the Thunder or the Blazers - lacking experience, but with a wealth of depth and potential.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 06:52:28 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think the Clippers have a very bright future, if not the brightest future (they just need a new coach). Also, if I were Lebron, and I wanted to win, the Clippers would be first on my list, yes, the Clippers!

The have an incredibly talented young core to go along with two solid "vets" (Davis and Kaman). I'll take lineup of Davis, Gordon, James, and Kaman, with Thornton as a sixth man to win it all every day of the week.

Even though we haven't seen Blake much, I'd be shocked if he doesn't become anything short of a double, double guy.

The only problem I think Lebron would have with the Clippers would be playing second fiddle to Kobe. But, hey, it would be cool if Lebron could be the one to rescue that franchise.

Oh yeah, we can't forget to throw in another solid lottery pick, the usual for the Clips, which, if drafted right, will be another weapon off the bench. 

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 08:08:53 PM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161
The problem with the Clippers is that they're dependent on a front office that seems addicted to failure.

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If they want to be good, sign Lebron, then sign and trade for Bosh using the 1st, cap space and a few players to make up the difference.  (or do it the other way so Lebron is the highest payed player)