Author Topic: COD Modern Warfare 2 (merged)  (Read 31768 times)

Re: My short COD MF2 review
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
This is the first game in a while that I really really want.
I  have absolutely no money though.
I might get a job just for this game :/

If I could even get a job xD
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »

Offline wjb3000

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16

Alright, me being the loser I am have just spent the last nine hours beating COD on veteran. I only played one multiplayer game on that map that's like a mine or something.. Went 35-1 = ) Let my brother play like 2-3 games and he wrecked my K/D spread, but it's all good. He's got a flight to catch out to Philly in about an hour, so I'll forgive him.

I don't want to spoil the single player for anyone at all, so I'll try not to, if anyone wants to know anything about it though.. feel free to send a PM.

Alright, on with the show now. Like I said, just beat it.. It really, really lives up to the hype. I won't comment too much on multiplayer, yet but the single player I honestly enjoyed more than the first one. There's some missions that almost mirrors from MF1, but they were still fun to play, no doubt.

I was playing this was 5.1 headphones, but even without those it's the same old CoD (And I don't mean that as a bad thing) The single player (From both one and two, really) are the most intense gaming moments I've had. Except for maybe when me and my brother break out some old school Mortal Kombat. It's a freaking blast.

Even the soundtrack is amazing, it really sets the tone for everything. It's not quite as good as Halo's, I don't think but as far as game soundtracks go, I don't think Halo can be touched so it's not really a diss to MF2. It really sets a great atmosphere for the entire campaign. It adds like a whole new depth to the game. Seriously, one of the very few games I didn't use custom soundtracks with. So yea, great ambiance music. I'd give that a 9.9/10.

The game's sound engine is really nice, too. Not the music this time, but the bangs and pops and stuff. When you've got those headphones on and you're doing you're thing it just adds to the intensity. Being able to hear people talk and whisper one second and then get into a huge fire fight the next is amazing. All the guns sound nice and crisp, grenades will still take your face off and all that good stuff. This gets another high mark, too. 9/10

Then the graphics are just pretty as all hell, don't need to go into too much detail here, I don't think. MF2 looks significantly better then the first one. After I realized I was stupid and forgot to change the brightness/contrast on my TV it just looked a thousand times better, too. Real clean and crisp. I've been playing COD4 on an HD TV the last few months, and I sadly can't  do that right now.. but it still looks great on my old junker TV. Plus, everything doesn't look all plasticy like in Gears of War or something. 10/10.. Maybe I'm just in a good mood haha.

There's a host of new guns, too. At least in the single player. New attatchments, too. IMO, nothing beats an M16 with a red dot scope, which oddly enough I didn't come across in campaign but there's stil some goodies to be discovered. There's the AA12 shot gun (i think) that's just an absolute beast. Thing could kill like 100 elephants in a line.

You can duel wield in campaign now, also.. I didn't take advantage of that too often, but it's fun running around crapping on the AI with two uzi's or machine pistols. Best new weapon was probably the double barreled shotgun called the Ranger or something.. It just looked dope. Old classic style, I liked it.

As for multiplayer, there's some new perks I see.. I got to level 6-7 I think and my brother got me up to like 9-10 so I don't have much yet, but I see they got rid of Bandolier. They added extra clips as an attachment, kind of takes the fun out of using Bling for me.. I'll still being using an M16 (When I get to lvl 40 = / ) Bling (Red dot, extra clips) stopping power and whatever for a third perk. Pretty much the same thing I rocked in MF1.

I guess my only real problem with the game, wasn't really with the game at all. It was with how sensitive some people are these days. At the beginning of the game it asks you if you'll be offended by a certain mission in the campaign, I obviously said I wouldn't be. The game asked me if I was sure once or twice then that was that. I thought it was stupid, personally..

Then going through the obstacle course, shooting range thing. I beat it in 31 seconds or less 15 times (Yea, I had that much fun with it) and so the game reccomended I play on veteran. Asked me probably 4-5 times if I was sure when I chose to play on veteran. Saying how hard it was and stuff. I think the direct quote was "Veteran is extremly hard, are you sure you wan't to play it?" Couldn't help but roll my eyes considering they just reccomended that I play on that setting 15 times. = /

So if that's the only real thing I can complain about, you know it's a good game. Seriously, anyone on the hedge and can't decide, just get it. The campaign is worth it, and it's Call of Duty so you know the multiplayer is going to be there. Plus, there's a whole bunch of new little elements that make it fresh.

This wasn't as short as I wanted, but it's all good. If anyone has any questions about the campaign, PM.

Oops, I just accidently deleted my mini review before I posted.  I'm at work now so I don't have time to rewrite, but I'll be back with an update later.

BTW if anyone wants to grab a game sometime, my PSN ID is wjb3000, feel free to add me.

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2009, 02:46:51 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Played it till level 32 last night, all in multiplayer, thanks red bull and 5 hour energy shots :D

anyway, Lon's review is really good, so i thought i'd just add my thoughts on MP's perks/kill streaks and some of the guns i tried.

GUNS:

MP5K- essentially a MP5 upgrade, hits a little less powerfully, but fires at a better clip. About as accurate as the old MP5 as well, mid range shots are makeable, but difficult at times.

UMP- I really like this gun. Slower than the MP5K, but hits harder. Found it much more stable in the mid range game. Can and will make longer shots.

SCAR assualt rifle- Great gun. Like a M4 with more stopping power. Good at all ranges, as is to be expected from a rifle. Can kick alittle to much for my taste.

M4- One of my favroite from MW1, seems to have lost some of it's stopping power, which is saying something since it didn't have much before. Still deadly accurate, but takes half a clip to put anyone down.

P90- I hated this gun in MW1. Was all over the place, and took far to many rounds to kill someone. Now, its the exact oppiste. My best rounds of the night came with this gun and a holographic scope. Deadly powerful now, also very stable. Made midrange shots with ease, and mow'd people down up close.

This was easily the best Sub for me as a rusher.

NEW PERKS/ PERKS WHO'S PRO ADDON IS WORTH NOTING:

Scavenger- interesting perk, especially with no ability to pick up rounds without it. Also can pick up grenades.

Slight of hand - the pro version of this is incredible for rushers, your gun snaps into aiming mode so fast it will make your head spin. a joy to use.

Cold blooded - Awesome for avoiding the kill streaks, as it makes you for all intents and purposes invisable to thier aiming mechinsims.

If you want to be the most popular player on your team, equip a stinger and this, and gun down every enemy KS vehicle that appears.

Hard line: This is going to be a spot of contention with some players who have a problem with people who may not be as skilled with the guns running up kills.

You can use it to set off insanely easy long kill streaks if you rush and are half way decent. by that i mean the following:

2 kills: UAV
4 kills: Pred
6 Kills: harrier

I was running the above for awhile, and it ment i pretty much had a UAV up for our team at all times during the match. alot of times i got 2-3 harriers a match, simply because i had a constant UAV and was rushing, and as such it really took no skill for me to get 2 people for the uav, use that to get the drop on two more, hide, and drop a predator on a group of people.

I don't particularity care, but i can see hard line as a rallying call for the "too easy in multilplayer" crowd.

allright, killstreaks then i have to get back to work:

Care package:
I dunno about this one. for one thing, it takes awhile to drop, and unscrupulous teammates (like me) are going to take a shot at stealing your KS/ammo. On the other hand, I can see it being very useful for traps.

I sat across from a guy who tossed one of these and we picked off enemy after enemy as they came to steal it.

A fun perk, but i question how many people will suck it up for the team and equpi it. Here's hoping the other team does though, nothing like killing an enemy player and taking his AC-130 crate :D

Counter UAV: Love this one. Jams the enemy radar screen for 30 seconds. when i first heard about this reward i thought it would only CANCLE a current UAV, but it blanks them for 30 seconds. Awesome when someone gets one of the strike KS's and can drop it on people who have no idea it's incoming.

Predator missile: by far my favorite perk, insanely fun to drop on people. I love when you catch a group of 2-3 people out in the open and you can see them panic and start to run as you kick the thrusters in.

And remember to ask them if they got that thing you sent them as it crashes into them :D:D

Sidenote: you can also take out enemy KS vehicles like the choppers and harrier with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIhw_1cGcgc&feature=player_embedded

Harrier: This one is crazy. It summons a two pass air strike and sets a harrier up where you point. Can be used to devestating effect in objective based games. Mine were rountinly gunning down 3-6 people before they left the map.

oh, it can also shoot down enemy copters.

last one i unlocked and use:

PAV-LOW: devastation copter. Needs three stingers to be shot down. absolutely murders people. no other way to describe it. It's an amazing chopper.

Also, it can be up WHILE a harrier is up. I was running:

predator
harrier
PAV-LOW

at the end of the night, and twice i get them both up. it was silly.

endnote: why on earth does no one shoot KS's  down??

I ALWAYS equip the stinger as my launcher. The ks rewards are just too awesome to leave up on maps. they can change a game. but there's a simple counter....

A stinger takes a harrier out in one shot. it takes 5 seconds. yet i think i only had ONE shot down all night. I shot down 10 or so on my own.

things a stinger shoots down in ONE SHOT.

Harrier
Enemy UAV
every copter but the PAV low
the AC-130.

Things that take a whole 3 stingers to shoot down (or mabey two...it went down after two for me, but i thought someone was lighting it up with their gun)

PAve-Low.

SHOOT DOWN VEHICLES PEOPLE.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:09:00 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Arggh I just don't know if I should get this for Xbox or not, I'm absolutley awful with FPS on consoles (could only beat Halo 3 on easy, and even that got hard lol).

Do you guys think I should get it regardless? I don't know how much enjoyment I would get if I couldn't keep up with speed of the game. Or should I just wait for them to port it to Mac so I can play it with a keyboard/mouse?

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Arggh I just don't know if I should get this for Xbox or not, I'm absolutley awful with FPS on consoles (could only beat Halo 3 on easy, and even that got hard lol).

Do you guys think I should get it regardless? I don't know how much enjoyment I would get if I couldn't keep up with speed of the game. Or should I just wait for them to port it to Mac so I can play it with a keyboard/mouse?

Dunno, i'm the exact opposite, no good with a mouse and keyboard but good with a controller.

I'd say get it if you can, you can always contribute to activisions world domination fund again when they get around to porting it :/
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2009, 03:15:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

My little brother felt the same way. Felt. Now he's a master of the FPS.

I also am not the best. I prefer to be crafty than I dunno....good. I like surprising other players and working for the kill than running around and just being really good at shooting stuff..because I am not really good. I'm old and slow and some of those 12 yr olds have got reaction times like cats.

And they swear like sailors. Want a humbling moment? Play COD4 on a saturday night and scream at 12 yr olds for half an hour while they kill you repeatedly and mock you. Then, remember how cool you were in college.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: COD Modern Warfare 2 (merged)
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2009, 03:32:02 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591

My little brother felt the same way. Felt. Now he's a master of the FPS.

I also am not the best. I prefer to be crafty than I dunno....good. I like surprising other players and working for the kill than running around and just being really good at shooting stuff..because I am not really good. I'm old and slow and some of those 12 yr olds have got reaction times like cats.

And they swear like sailors. Want a humbling moment? Play COD4 on a saturday night and scream at 12 yr olds for half an hour while they kill you repeatedly and mock you. Then, remember how cool you were in college.

I feel better now that Im not alone.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »

Offline Harris34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4

Don't bet on a mac port coming out ever. They really botched the PC version this time around, basically giving us a console port. Just lazy, lazy stuff.

They took out our dedicated servers, which means we cant have a sense of community around one server anymore. We now have P2P like the Xbox360, which has already caused a ton of lag problems and host migration issues (you guys ever heard of a lag switch?). We can no longer produce mods and maps to extend the life of the game (they want to force us into buying DLC, which in the past was sponsored and free for PC users. The competitive scene is now impossible. They took out the lean function, because there arent any buttons for it on a console controller.

For months they were saying, "nothing has changed the way online works on PC". Then two weeks before release they drop the above knowledge on us, essentially trying to con as many people as they can into unknowingly buying a product for MORE money, with LESS features.

They tell us, "Try it before you judge it". We can't TRY anything, PC games cannot be rented or returned once opened!

With all of that said, I have seen some people play, and I have played some on xbox360 (I am so god awful with a controller. I am VERY good with a M+KB), and it still looks very good. I'll probably pick it up if the developers throw the PC crowd a bone soon. I just hate they way they have treated the community that made IW what they are today with all the support for CoD1.

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
You guys are certainly on a whole different level in video game then I am.  I like the Call of Duty game, but I haven't played this one yet.  What do you guys think of the whole thing about playing as a terrorist?  I know it's video game, but that seems a bit much for me.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2009, 05:22:19 PM »

Offline Harris34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Oh, and hackers are already busting IW Net and VAC anti cheat. Now we dont have administrators to ban people that get through hack protection, because we no longer have dedicated servers to administrate. So much for IWNET and VAC preventing cheaters.

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2009, 11:27:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
You guys are certainly on a whole different level in video game then I am.  I like the Call of Duty game, but I haven't played this one yet.  What do you guys think of the whole thing about playing as a terrorist?  I know it's video game, but that seems a bit much for me.

well, despite the media's claims you don't "Play a terrorist"

you play a CIA deep cover operative who is trying to get close to the head of the terrorist cell by infiltrating it, and you end up on a mission gone horribly wrong that sparks the entire war that the story mode focuses on, and dying during the mission (the cia operative, that is).

The entire level lasts 10 minutes, tops, and you can skip it if you don't want to play it. the game asks you, three times by my count, if you would like to skip content that may be offensive. once when you boot up the console, once when you start a campaign and once right before the level.

It gives you every avenue to "close your eyes" at that part of the movie and get a summary later on.

It's no different from a movie where the bad guys make a stunningly evil move in the beginning and the rest of the movie leads up to a confrontation between good and evil.

Just like in the first game, the intital sequence is used to get you involved with the story so that when you stomp the bad guys at the end, it's so much the sweeter.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:45:54 PM by crownsy »

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:44 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Well I guess maybe MW2 is probably the best game to get used to using a controller. First things first though, gotta get my 360 fixed  :P I've been putting it off till my uni exams are over (this wednesday). So maybe it's time to put the machine into the workshop.

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 12:27:15 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

well, despite the media's claims you don't "Play a terrorist"

you play a CIA deep cover operative who is trying to get close to the head of the terrorist cell by infiltrating it, and you end up on a mission gone horribly wrong that sparks the entire war that the story mode focuses on, and dying during the mission (the cia operative, that is).

The entire level lasts 10 minutes, tops, and you can skip it if you don't want to play it. the game asks you, three times by my count, if you would like to skip content that may be offensive. once when you boot up the console, once when you start a campaign and once right before the level.

It gives you every avenue to "close your eyes" at that part of the movie and get a summary later on.

It's no different from a movie where the bad guys make a stunningly evil move in the beginning and the rest of the movie leads up to a confrontation between good and evil.

Just like in the first game, the intital sequence is used to get you involved with the story so that when you stomp the bad guys at the end, it's so much the sweeter.

Wow, I've gotta say that paints a whole different picture.  From what I had heard, it was just a level and you straight up shoot civilians during a terrorist ambush.  That wouldn't sit well in my stomach, but knowing the context def changes my perspective.  Having the option of either completing the mission or moving on really does make a difference.  Thanks for clearing that up.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2009, 12:46:45 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
To be fair to the media, you do have the option to shoot civilians, if you chose too, since you are trying to portray yourself as a "bad guy". I chose not to, and simply followed the terrorists as they attacked. Disturbing, to be sure, but no more so then a action movie.

rant incoming

My problem with the media that they, in typical shock media fashion, did no research. They simply say "It's a mission where you play as a terrorist and murder everyone. evil."

IT's quite typical, and reflects the media's lazyness when finding a scapegoat. it used to be Hollywood that was pure evil, now it's video games. Any time a video game comes out and addresses a contentious point or subject, it's attacked as "unacceptable, video games are for kids, everyone knows that." when, much like an r-rated movie, this game is NOT for kids. Thats why there's a giant M on both sides of the box and you need an id to buy it.

Will kids get it/ play it? sure, the same way they get into R-rated theaters. by getting the ok from thier parents or some other backhanded way.

True story, i worked at Toys R us for 2 years back in college.  GTA: San adreas came out. The registrar would not let us sell it to persons under 17. Every stinking time a 10-17 year old got it, it was from a parent, disinterested in my explanation that it was an adult game. I mentioned everything on the box. Blood, violence, sex, drugs ect. Response

"it's just a video game." Fine, if your kid can handle it at that age, good, but don't act all outraged when it's violent when you get home.

My little brother, 11, loves video games. He wants this game, badly.

His chance of playing it is zero. Why? because my parents have told him no. They, unlike the people who cry "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!" on TV and claim they were blindsided, did their research and told him he's not old enough yet.  He knows that, and accepts it, because he knows they will be very upset if they find him playing this or any mature/teen game without them saying so.

It's called parenting, and people in this country need to get back to it. If you don't want your kids playing video games of a violent nature, do what my dad does.

1) don't buy them
2) on the off chance child obtains/ plays a game you do not approve of, child losses access to game and gaming system until such a time as they understand what they did wrong.

This has happened exactly once in our house. My brother borrowed a game my parents voted no on from a friend who's parent's bought it for them. Dad saw it, and took the power chord for the PS2 away for 2 weeks.

/rant off, back to mission clear up

What actually happens, which is in detail below, is you are an undercover American agent, placed in a high ranking position in a terrorist organization in an attempt to gather intel to stop future terrorist attacks. you are then exposed, and the US is scapegoated by the terrorist organization to sow chaos.

The CIA guy is in really deep cover, and you are participating in a terrorist attack, with the hope that you will be trusted enough that you are given free access to the head of the terrorist organization POST mission.

here is the spoiler of the mission, post break.

The game begins in Afghanistan, where US Army Ranger Private Allen helps the 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment take an Afghan city from an army of militants. Impressed, General Shepherd recruits Allen as a CIA operative and places him in Makarov's organization as an undercover operative. However, Makarov is one step ahead. He kills Allen, exposes his identity as an American, and turns him into a scapegoat for a brutal terrorist attack on a Russian airport. russia, convinced the CIA is involved in the terrorist attacks, strikes back at the east coast 

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:31:52 PM by crownsy »

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2009, 04:58:01 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
Can someone explain what the purpose of the halographic scope is? I just don't really see it's use when the red dot's still there.

Also, I hate the heartbeat monitor. Always distracts me when I have it on a gun, pretty worthless to me.. I'd rather just have UAVs.

I still need to get that M16. Only at like lvl 27 right now, I need to play some headquarters or something. That's my bread and butter in MF1, and I expect it to be now.