Author Topic: CelticsBlog has lost its way.  (Read 44984 times)

Re: CelticsBlog has lost its way.
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2009, 07:35:44 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Roy, do Mods of the ability to read PM's? For instance, if I send a PM to cdif911 can you read it?

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2009, 07:36:40 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Roy, do Mods of the ability to read PM's? For instance, if I send a PM to cdif911 can you read it?

of course not - PMs are private unless they are forwarded to someone else
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
by the way, please read my thoughts in this other thread

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=31450.0

thanks
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2009, 07:43:25 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I feel I should reply to some of you, some deserving, some not so. Firstly this in my original post was a typo: "I feel the need to address this in the hope that I'm not the only active poster who stops posting" - I would like it if I was the only one who stopped (too late now ACF has gone).

Secondly, I'm going to address two points made by Roy.

1) When somebody's friend is disciplined, the first reaction of that person is to attack the staff. 

This is in no way associated with the banning of any individual member (I think you should be more consistent with the banning one way or another). Then it's a lot less talked about. There have been a couple of members who I've agreed with them being banned, and a couple I've disagreed with. However it's none of my business, so I'm not letting that influence anything.

2) It has come to my attention that certain vocal members are disappointed that they, or their friends, were passed over for mod status.  My reaction to that is, threads like this show exactly why those people would not make good moderators.

Sorry Roy but that is just ridiculous. I have publicly and privately said I would hate to be a mod - and I wouldn't even be a good one for that matter. Yes, I think other members would have been more deserving than Fafnir (no offense Faf, I do like you), but that's not going to influence anything I do either. A mod is a title that should command respect. A lot of people see you guys as the "jocks" of CB. To an extent this is true, to be honest. There's a sense of arrogance about your posts and the condescending way in which you (the mods - not all) talk to people.

I'm just going to leave it at that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:10:38 AM by celticmaestro »

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2009, 07:48:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I guess I'm confused, maestro:

. . .  and the banning of members and CB has lost its way.

This is in no way associated with the banning of any member.

As for the mod thing:

Sorry Roy but that is just ridiculous.

Sorry if I implied you were one of the people complaining to the staff about being passed over / having their friends be passed over.  Some of those complaining in this thread fall into that category, however.  I won't mention who some of the people they've been lobbying for are, but I'm surprised that you haven't heard.  Sadly, we can't post the private messages to prove it, but they exist.

There's a sense of arrogance about your posts and the condescending way in which you (the mods - not all) talk to people.

I don't see it that way, and I don't think 99% of the membership sees it that way.  Between all of us, we have over 99,000 posts, and have received, at most, a handful of complaints.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:03:54 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2009, 08:01:48 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Well IMO the great thing about this blog is that you dont have to come here.  If people have a problem with the draft, or the current events forum or what have you you dont have to click on them, and there is even a way to opt out of the current events forum.  All these mods do what they do so that everybody can come out here and have a good time.  It is not in their best interest to ban people or anything like that because as we have seen it causes drama and overall hurts the blog because you lose a member and then if that member is upset they can then have their friends trash the blog or what not.  The Mods do not get paid to do this and really only do this out of their love for the celtics and their enjoyment of the community that we have fostered on this site. 

And I think that Fafnir is an excellent choice for a mod, based on all my interactions with him.  And I guess if people are really that upset about not being a mod this isnt the way to handle it.  The way to handle it is to go about your bussiness and if you really want to be a mod that badly prove that you deserve it I guess.  Either way this isnt really the right way to get things done. 

CM this is not targeted at you, more some of the other sentiments I have seen expressed here.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2009, 09:40:57 AM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
I rarely come in the forums but this title caught my eye. After rading most of the posts in here I once realize why I retired as a Global Moderator. It's the Mad Hatter's tea party.......where's the rabbit hole to get back out of here??????

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2009, 09:42:47 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I rarely come in the forums but this title caught my eye. After rading most of the posts in here I once realize why I retired as a Global Moderator. It's the Mad Hatter's tea party.......where's the rabbit hole to get back out of here??????

lol...Old Lady
Nice to see u around

big Hug.
Saludos...Totales.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2009, 09:42:50 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I am definitely way nicer here than I am in my personal life, and I bet a lot of people here are. I don't know anything about the politics of becoming or wanting to become a mod, sounds like something I would really hate to do honestly. What I do know is that I look at certain members as just as valuable as the mods, and Celticmaestro and ACF are definitely in that category. Tenure, quantity and moreover quality in posts is really what makes me remember people on this forum, and a good sig doesn't hurt. In my close to 3000 posts, I think two or three times I have been reminded that my words came close to violating the rules. Of those two or three, one of them was definitely a mod overreacting to a difference of opinion. Was it uncalled for? Did it suck? Did it bother me? Yes, yes, and yes, but for me to post that many times and have that happen only once, it ain't that big a problem to me. Maybe I am the odd one, maybe the rest of you guys have had a much worse experience, I don't know. I come here because there is so much information, and so much stuff to comment on, yes it's a little slow right now, but a lot of times I find myself posting about off-topic topics more than anything.

I'm not disregarding anything anyone has said or valuing anyone's opinion over another, I guess it just hasn't affected me as much as others. To anyone who has or is thinking about leaving, I hope that you do not, everyone here makes this site what it is.

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2009, 10:06:15 AM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11
 I think this is the perfect topic for me to come back and post my first post since being suspended for going off about politics to some people on this site. I was banned for good at first, My banning was only turned into a suspension due to the fact that I apoligized for my post and that I quickly corrected my post before anyone warned me or could ban me. Also I had never done anything like that before. I had misread the comments that sent me over the edge in my post. I was banned about 20 seconds after editing my original post.I sent a barrage of emails to Jeff, Roy, and whoever else I could to plead my case. They mods heard me out and changed there ruleing. I was suspended for 45 days and let me tell u what a long 45 days it was. You have no idea how hard it is to only be able to see the front page and nothing else on this site.

I for one am gonna use the DON'T CLICK rule from now on.
 My only question in this whole matter is. Why is it we can't go off on another member of the CB but you can go off on a player or person outside of the CELTICS BLOG? When a member can defend themselfs but the Person or Player outside of the blog can't. For Example saying "BBS you sux we need to get rid of you." Will mostlikely get you a pm from a mod, but saying "Tony Allen u sux we need to get rid of you" won't get you a second look from a mod. See what I mean it's no different. Even if both posts are true they should'nt be treated differently. they are both personal attacts and should be viewed as such. Maybe I am makeing to much out of it.

Anyway
 I have been a part of this site since the old CB I am like Hoops I don't post alot but I am here every day. I have seen many changes is this site good and bad. I think this site has ups and downs just like a NBA season but we all have one thing in commin and thats the love of our Boston Celtics and you can't hate a fellow Celtics fan.

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2009, 10:15:22 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
My only question in this whole matter is. Why is it we can't go off on another member of the CB but you can go off on a player or person outside of the CELTICS BLOG? When a member can defend themselfs but the Person or Player outside of the blog can't. For Example saying "BBS you sux we need to get rid of you." Will mostlikely get you a pm from a mod, but saying "Tony Allen u sux we need to get rid of you" won't get you a second look from a mod. See what I mean it's no different. Even if both posts are true they should'nt be treated differently. they are both personal attacts and should be viewed as such. Maybe I am makeing to much out of it.

There are a couple of reasons.  First, athletes / celebrities are in the public eye, and as such are going to be criticized a little more.  If we couldn't criticize athletes, it would be tough to have a ton of discussion on here.

Secondly, we don't allow personal attacks on members because inevitably that leads to conflict, people taking offense, and a lot of fighting back and forth that harms the entire community.  When somebody sharply criticizes Gerald Green, on the other hand, nobody should be taking personal offense and starting a flame war.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
My point is that some mods can be antagonistic, but not held to the same standards of other posters.  This is observational, but I feel like it's something that's come up more often recently.  Rather than carrying out a warning in private, petty arguments are conducted in public forums. 

Fair enough ChampKind.  I've not seen that from any mod acting as a mod, but I am not on every thread or forum.

In honesty, I've only seen it in the CB draft threads, which is why you might not have seen it.  I agree with you on most of your other points, and I think that the fantasy draft was it's own beast where exceptions were made.  I think that's been the catalyst for some, if not much, of the bad feelings expressed here.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2009, 10:22:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Well, the two most important reasons are:

1. Respect.  One of Jeff's goals from the beginning with this forum was to have respect between all members of the community.  We want this to be a place where everyone can feel comfortable arguing their opinion without being attacked personally.

2. If you personally attack another poster, it turns the forums to chaos.  Some of you who have been to other forums have probably seen this.  Even if you think you can walk away after someone "goes off" on you, but many can't.  It turns threads into flame wars, and basically makes the forums unreadable.

« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11

There are a couple of reasons.  First, athletes / celebrities are in the public eye, and as such are going to be criticized a little more.  If we couldn't criticize athletes, it would be tough to have a ton of discussion on here.

Secondly, we don't allow personal attacks on members because inevitably that leads to conflict, people taking offense, and a lot of fighting back and forth that harms the entire community.  When somebody sharply criticizes Gerald Green, on the other hand, nobody should be taking personal offense and starting a flame war.

Well, the two most important reasons are:

1. Respect.  One of Jeff's goals from the beginning with this forum was to have respect between all members of the community.  We want this to be a place where everyone can feel comfortable arguing their opinion without being attacked personally.

2. If you personally attack another poster, it turns the forums to chaos.  Some of you who have been to other forums have probably seen this.  Even if you think you can walk away after someone "goes off" on you, but many can't.  It turns threads into flame wars, and basically makes the forums unreadable.

Your both right, and I agree with both of you. but let me keep playing devils advocate here and say this, What if Gerald Green was a memeber then the attacts would have to stop right? or what if Wcy who said he checks this site out was to start posting here then I guess we would have to stop criticizeing him right. Not that theres much of that going on these days except in the case of Leon Powe and that was more Danny gettin the brunt of that heat. but you know what I am getting at. It's like saying attack any non member all u like just don't attack a member.

« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Its different though.  Those people you are talking about because of their occupations have thrust themselves into the public eye which makes them fair game.  I think thats a law Roy probably knows. I think like when people put themselves in the public eye they lose a certain amount of privacy.  Like how paparazzi take pictures of celebs but would get in trouble if they were peeping into your yard taking pics
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16