Author Topic: Suggestions to changing next year's CB NBA Draft to make it better.  (Read 61695 times)

Re: Suggestions to changing next year's CB NBA Draft to make it better.
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
But at the same time, What did Leahy add to the league.  He was unable to participate in the Press conference process alltogether.  Odds are wont be able to vote.  I keep hearing about how good his team is, I dont even know who is on his team because he never presented or answered questions regarding his team. 

Like I said, I'm up in the air.  The Leahy thing was a bit frustrating to me, too, but I trust wdleehi that things occurred outside of his control.  That being said, I don't think I'd invite him back as an owner next season.  However, I'd prefer having a guy who never misses a pick and who puts together a competitive team over somebody who is more unreliable.

Anyway, let's hope it's moot, and that we have 30 great, active GMs next season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 05:58:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm having a ball Roy. Maybe I should use more emoticons and scrolling text.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 06:02:09 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
But at the same time, What did Leahy add to the league.  He was unable to participate in the Press conference process alltogether.  Odds are wont be able to vote.  I keep hearing about how good his team is, I dont even know who is on his team because he never presented or answered questions regarding his team. 

Like I said, I'm up in the air.  The Leahy thing was a bit frustrating to me, too, but I trust wdleehi that things occurred outside of his control.  That being said, I don't think I'd invite him back as an owner next season.  However, I'd prefer having a guy who never misses a pick and who puts together a competitive team over somebody who is more unreliable.

Anyway, let's hope it's moot, and that we have 30 great, active GMs next season.

I agree especially about hoping to have 30 great GM's next year.  But I guess I never thought that Gomesfan was much of a problem.  And since both had issues beyond their control and one we could see was actively trying to get around the issues I would much rather have the person that made the effort. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I'm having a ball Roy. Maybe I should use more emoticons and scrolling text.

;)  ;) ;)

the thing is only 3 emoticons are allowed on a CB post due rules...

Edited
;) ;) ;)   :P :P :P :P (edited byy Redz - count em 4!)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:09:14 PM by Redz »
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2009, 06:02:51 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think gomesfan was fine...leahy...not so much...where do we go from here? try to get the guys that you know will protect the integrity of the shield back for next year

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 06:09:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I agree especially about hoping to have 30 great GM's next year.  But I guess I never thought that Gomesfan was much of a problem.  And since both had issues beyond their control and one we could see was actively trying to get around the issues I would much rather have the person that made the effort. 

I like Gomesfan.  However, he missed numerous picks altogether, and for several others contacted a mod and said "pick the best player available for me".  He didn't post a press conference.  If we're going to take this position that the draft needs to be the #1 priority in everybody's life to preserve the "integrity" of the draft, GF's participation is worth discussing.

As I mentioned, though, I fail to see the major harm, in either Leahy or GF.  If they can be replaced by more active managers, beautiful.  There's no guarantee, though, that whatever replacement we get would be more active.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 06:25:57 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
My bad, I thought Gomesfan put out a press conference, If he didnt then Id say try to replace him too.  Again I think the question shouldnt be what harm did a certain member do but should be what did this player contribute to everybody's experience.  And would this league be better for those involved if that owner were replaced with a more active owner. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
In other words, dont ask what the Celticsblog fantasy draft can do for you, ask what you can do for the celticsblog fantasy draft.

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 06:54:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
.... If we're going to take this position that the draft needs to be the #1 priority in everybody's life to preserve the "integrity" of the draft....

Who said anything about the draft being the #1 priority in anyone's life except you Roy.

All people are asking is that in the very specific case of first round pick, because of their value to the game and they way the game will play out, that people who commit to the game find ways to be there to make that specific pick, find ways to have someone else make the pick, take on an AGM or forfeit the team so someone can take it over.

Does doing any of those things suddenly make the game the #1 priority in someone's life or is that just a rather large bit of hyperbole to show you don't agree?

If you're going to have a game of poker and invite 5 guys to be there at 7:00 to play and 4 guys show and then you find out your brother wants to join in because the other guy didn't even bother to call and say he won't make it until much later, are you going to tell your brother to get out of the game when the guy shows up at 9:30?

Of course you aren't!!

This is no different. It has nothing to do with putting this game in front of everything else in your life. It has to do with taking a few 5-10 minute precautions ahead of time and if you don't, you lose out.

Maybe a good middle ground is that player loses control of the manager position but if he wants he can be the co-GM on that team. He will have input and be able to help run things but he'll lose final word on decision making. That way he's still in the game and a part of his team but he has lost control because he didn't do his job properly.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:00:23 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
i think gomesfan was fine...leahy...not so much...where do we go from here? try to get the guys that you know will protect the integrity of the shield back for next year

I think the absentee problem with Gomesfan was a problem as well.  He missed several picks and had to play catchup, and I think that led to an aggressive style that led to a lot of miscommunications on the trade front and led to him thinking that different owners had reneged on him.  I like playing with him in a traditional fantasy league, but in something like this you need to be more available.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1646
  • What a Pub Should Be
Alright, here's my two cents.

1) The workload is pretty intense on the Commish, especially during the pre-draft trade phase as well as the actual draft.  There is a ton of work and multiple boards that need to be updated everytime a trade or draft pick is made.  Trades affect the draft order, the roster page (if players are involved), and confirms need to be received (and sometimes chased down).  I do think that having a partner during these phases would be extremely helpful.  The idea of a non-mod Commish or partner isn't a bad idea but I'm not sure how feasible it is since mods are the only ones able to modify posts set up by other users.  Maybe this can be worked out but I will point out that the workload is immense especially when you take into outside-CB factors.

2) The log-in, so called, 10 minute rule was discussed before the draft but I just felt it would be best to establish times and stick by them.  Chasing down people who may be logged on but on other parts of the board and such can be arduous.
I will point out that, many times, we were running ahead of schedule and, with the exception of missed picks, rounds were completed by noon-time or 5pm.  There was some squatting but I had no qualms about it.  If people want to rush in their picks, that's their choice.  If they want to think it over and draft at their designated time, that's fine by me. 

3) There were very few absentee problems.  The Minnesota one was a problem from the outset but I had established the "two missed pick" rule so I gave the original owner the benefit of the doubt.  I know some posters had preferred an evening session but the times were voted on by the owners and they elected for morning and afternoon sessions.  Some of the absenteeism could be chalked up to CBers at work and unable to draft.  Due to workload, I didn't want people PMing lists because that would've resulted in an added headache that I didn't want. 

I'll look back and discuss any big items that I may have missed but I wanted to address these 3 big ones.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2009, 09:43:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1646
  • What a Pub Should Be
Also, I'm not sure where this idea of "people ready to jump in" came from.  It may have been expressed via PM btw people but I can tell you that it was a struggle to get 30 teams and I had maybe 2 or 3 inquire about jumping in. 

I'd love to have 30 of the most active posters on here as owners but that just isn't going to happen.  If you really want active posters, the best bet will probably be contraction.  I just didn't have a public outcry for people to jump in.  If people were interested, very few notified me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2009, 10:41:38 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
An opinion out of Dallas...

First of all, i don't think i've expressed this completely yet...Dons, you did an absolutely terrific job and i'm frankly astounded that you were able to keep your cool throughout and handle all job tasks seemingly seamlessly.  I honestly am not sure if things could've run any smoother, even despite the Minny situation and whatnot.

That brings me to my second point.  The biggest "turn-off" for me this year was the constant banter and bickering between two teams (we know the parties involved) in public forums.  Really it just cluttered the forums and and was a nuisance to read through and listen to.  I'd say we establish more defined policies regarding the "integrity of the game."  I don't mean to sound so serious, but parties involved were warned several times about their behavior but ultimately never suffered any significant consequences.

Another great transition - that brings me to my final thought.  Perhaps every GM should establish an official "assistant."  Ideally they would be members of CB, too.  This would allow every GM to have a safety net if they "get caught in traffic" or whatever; it also helps with the "integrity of the game" idea - basically if a GM needs to be booted, his understudy/assistant would be ready to take over the team immediately.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2009, 10:43:58 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Another great transition - that brings me to my final thought.  Perhaps every GM should establish an official "assistant."  Ideally they would be members of CB, too.  This would allow every GM to have a safety net if they "get caught in traffic" or whatever; it also helps with the "integrity of the game" idea - basically if a GM needs to be booted, his understudy/assistant would be ready to take over the team immediately.

I think this is a great idea, but I'm not sure if there would be enough interest.  This year, we had something like 32 people participating (30 GMs, plus two assistant GMs at the end).  It might be tough to get 60 people.

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
An opinion out of Dallas...

First of all, i don't think i've expressed this completely yet...Dons, you did an absolutely terrific job and i'm frankly astounded that you were able to keep your cool throughout and handle all job tasks seemingly seamlessly.  I honestly am not sure if things could've run any smoother, even despite the Minny situation and whatnot.

That brings me to my second point.  The biggest "turn-off" for me this year was the constant banter and bickering between two teams (we know the parties involved) in public forums.  Really it just cluttered the forums and and was a nuisance to read through and listen to.  I'd say we establish more defined policies regarding the "integrity of the game."  I don't mean to sound so serious, but parties involved were warned several times about their behavior but ultimately never suffered any significant consequences.

And so far these two teams have shown up in the top three on most ballots.  Its a game, and its how I wanted to play the game.  Part of my strategy included having a rival and as part of that there were several people that joined my side and several people that joined his, which then boosted productive interactions between people, "on my side," and helpeed me in the game.  And there were consequences for us.  But at the same time, arguments and discussions are not banned on this blog as long as things are not made personal, which was something that I think we went overboard on but have since toned back on since being warned publically.