Author Topic: Suggestions to changing next year's CB NBA Draft to make it better.  (Read 61694 times)

Re: Suggestions to changing next year's CB NBA Draft to make it better.
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Somehow, I agree with both Rondo and Roy.  If you miss a pick, you deserve some leniency.  It's just a game and its for fun.  If you're taking it this seriously you'll probably just end up quitting over a PM flame war anyway.  Um, not that those happen.

Also, if you were an absentee owner and consistently unable to make picks, maybe a more deserving CB member should have the opportunity to pick up your squad.  Sorry if this offends anyone.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 05:40:42 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think you extend invitations to the draft quietly next year...if an owner did a good job then obviously they get a nice PM to accept or decline...if they decline or need replaced...you then open it up to people that are interested...maybe use the # of TPs they have earned inorder to gain the franchise...the situation with the timberwolves...he made one deal before the draft and wasn't seen on the boards just talking other stuff...i think you look at who owns the team and determine if they get a second chance after  missed pick or not...i will say from experience...it was very difficult to not have the 8th overall pick and have to wait until midway second round to get the team...then you have to scramble to get both picks in while other GMS are trying to rush their picks in..

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 05:43:12 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
See i think the 1 day thing is a good compromise.  Because you get to pick before the second round starts but also give a full day to be heard from, not just an hour.  

Also, since its 2 picks now, thats basically just a day and a half or less depending on where your second pick is.  But the problem with how things are now is what if the Minny Owner had traded their second round pick, then new owner wouldent get a pick until the third round and ultimately be doomed.  

Obviously nothing is gonna be perfect because these rules are in place for owners that dont show.  In a perfect world every owner would be there.  But I think the 1 day rule might be a better
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 05:43:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta agree with Champkind and Rondo. If you're going to be an absentee owner you shouldn't be able to play. So you don't play for a year. You can get in line the year after for a franchise.

Another way for an owner to guarantee the make that first pick so as not to lose a team, name a co-GM. There's just way too many ways for a GM to be able to ensure that first round pick is made for them not to be severely penalized if they aren't there to do it.

Vote yes on the Minnesota rule!!

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 05:46:48 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Gotta agree with Champkind and Rondo. If you're going to be an absentee owner you shouldn't be able to play. So you don't play for a year. You can get in line the year after for a franchise.

Another way for an owner to guarantee the make that first pick so as not to lose a team, name a co-GM. There's just way too many ways for a GM to be able to ensure that first round pick is made for them not to be severely penalized if they aren't there to do it.

just before going any further
remember this is a comisionacracy.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 05:47:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not sure how I feel about the absentee owner rule.

The two biggest absentee owners were Leahy (NY) and Gomesfan (Atlanta).  Leahy didn't miss a pick, and put together a solid team. 

Gomesfan was active in trade discussions after hours, but he wasn't able to participate during the day.

What detriment did either one of those two really bring to the draft?  Obviously, having 30 GMs who can be active 24-7 is the best option, but if you can't fill out the draft with 30 such GMs, what's the harm in having owners who are simply behind the scenes during the draft?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 05:48:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Let's be honest... it's a modocracy.

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 05:51:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

No, pretty much it's not.  Dons called the shots this year, completely.  He had absolutely no problem disregarding mod suggestions.

Are you having any fun with this thing at all, nick?  It's hard to judge tone or read into things over the internet, but you just don't seem to be enjoying yourself.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 05:51:13 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC

The two biggest absentee owners were Leahy (NY) and Gomesfan (Atlanta).  Leahy didn't miss a pick, and put together a solid team. 

Gomesfan was active in trade discussions after hours, but he wasn't able to participate during the day.

What detriment did either one of those two really bring to the draft?  Obviously, having 30 GMs who can be active 24-7 is the best option, but if you can't fill out the draft with 30 such GMs, what's the harm in having owners who are simply behind the scenes during the draft?

i have no problems if they are behind the scenes...but get a co-GM if you think you are going to miss a lot...but they did get picks in...fallguy was the problem...he NEVER showed for the draft....i think the solution is finding the right 30 owners....there is plenty of time leading up to it to find the right guys who will make an effort to make their picks or find a way to get them made

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

No, pretty much it's not.  Dons called the shots this year, completely.  He had absolutely no problem disregarding mod suggestions.

and beleive me he even almos veto scrolling text
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 05:52:50 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I think the press conferences should be locked until all GM's post their piece. It'd be easier to compare teams that way.

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

But at the same time, What did Leahy add to the league.  He was unable to participate in the Press conference process alltogether.  Odds are wont be able to vote.  I keep hearing about how good his team is, I dont even know who is on his team because he never presented or answered questions regarding his team. 

And I remember gomesfan posting a good amount of his own picks, and telling people constantly to e-mail him on his blackberry.  I wouldent downplay the effort the he made to overcome his situation and still participate.  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 05:54:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I think the press conferences should be locked until all GM's post their piece. It'd be easier to compare teams that way.

It's an interesting idea, but how do you regulate it?  Some GMs don't post their conferences late in the day; should we hold up the discussion for everybody?

I understand your concern, though.  That's why we link everybody's press conference in the first page of the thread.  If folks would like to wait until later to read them all, they can do do.

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 05:57:17 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Leahy hasn't logged into Celticsblog since August 16, 2008 and hasn't posted since that day either. Is it fair to have a GM who posted none of his own picks? Who didn't post a press conference? I don't think it is.

Gomesfan did make some of his own picks, was active in chat, pmed other gms and held a press conference. Different in my mind.

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Why don't we have fun with it? Maybe the mods, or the commissioner, or returning owners, or whoever can have an "essay contest" or a possible fake press conference announcing their intention to purchase and run a team in the CBNBA. Have them type something up announcing intentions, possible philosophies, make it funny/serious, whatever. Just have them type up a post announcing candidacy for ownership and essentially "interview" the possible GMs/owners before putting it up for an owners vote, mods vote, commissioner decision, or whatever.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."