Author Topic: Powe signs with the Cavaliers (merged)  (Read 18768 times)

Re: Powe signs with the Cavaliers (merged)
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Sheldon hasn't lived up to being the number 5 pick in a draft, but he's already put up better numbers than Leon ever has or ever will.

How so?  Leon has put up better scoring, rebounding, and field goal percentage numbers.  Williams averaged 4.1 points and 3.4 rebounds last year.  Williams is a pretty good defender and rebounder, but he wasn't signed due to his numbers.

Yeah, honestly, it is a tough comparison, mainly due to the situations they were both in.  Williams was on bad teams, and therefore had more opportunity to win playing time than Powe did, Powe on the other hand was playing with extremely talented teammates, who helped to hide some of his weaknesses, and make him a better player.

Really, this should be a very interesting experiment (if Williams even sees the court much...there is a lot of depth in front of him).  In theory, Williams should be a much better player on a team like the C's than he was on Sacramento, Minnesota, or Atlanta (he played there before they were good).  On those teams he was expected to be more than the roleplayer that his skill-set dictates, but now he can simply do what he is good at. 

« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Congrats to Powe for getting a contract with a very good team.  I wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2009, 09:56:20 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
Celticsblog really has a knack to make me dislike a player to a certain degree. The current fanaticism over Powe is a bit overboard. Just a bit.

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2009, 10:29:57 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Celticsblog really has a knack to make me dislike a player to a certain degree. The current fanaticism over Powe is a bit overboard. Just a bit.

Yeah, I am kind of on board on this.  I completely understand it, because Powe was about as likable player as we have seen, but it can be tough at times.  I just hate it, because I find myself arguing why it was smart not to sign Powe (just like I did last year with Posey)...and I feel a little sick about it, because I loved Powe in Green.  It's just that basketball is a business, and I think signing Powe was not the smart business move.

Re: So Leon is gonna be a Cav...
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2009, 10:30:20 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
My biggest concern is that he may give Cleveland information regarding our tactics.

Ah, but he never remembered the plays or rotations so we are still safe!

So true!  Doc would often play the rookie Big Baby over him because he knew the plays and was just a better all around player.  And he still was missing defensive assignments in his 3rd year! People are severely overrating Powe.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: So Leon is gonna be a Cav...
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2009, 11:47:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
My biggest concern is that he may give Cleveland information regarding our tactics.

Ah, but he never remembered the plays or rotations so we are still safe!

So true!  Doc would often play the rookie Big Baby over him because he knew the plays and was just a better all around player.  And he still was missing defensive assignments in his 3rd year! People are severely overrating Powe.
Yeah they are, but he was very good at what he did. Which is rebound and score inside.

If you'd told me he'd sign to a two year deal with a team option for the minimum I'd been okay with taking him back. But it sounds like he wanted a higher offer or a player option from the C's. It sounds like Leon took not getting the QO personally. Which I can understand, I just hope he's healthy when we kick the Cavs around in the ECF  :).