Author Topic: Welcome Shelden Williams (merged)  (Read 31702 times)

Re: Welcome Shelden Williams (merged)
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
for some reason I was locked out of this thread yesterday.

now I can't be bothered to read 10 pgs of posts.

but how great is it that we NEED celtics related news so badly this signing has generated this much buzz!!

« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Are you kidding me? Laettner a stiff? I'll be the first to say he couldn't live up to the hype, but he was a one-time All-Star who had career averages of 13 and 7. That's not the definitiion of a stiff.

If you make the Dream Team ahead of Isiah Thomas, and when you were drafted people debated if you were going to be better than Shaq....

and then you go on to become a non-impact journeyman in the league - you're a bust.  

Laettner was suppose to be one of the all-time greats, but he was never the even the best player on his own team.

« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Can his wife play for us instead?

« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2009, 05:51:12 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Are you kidding me? Laettner a stiff? I'll be the first to say he couldn't live up to the hype, but he was a one-time All-Star who had career averages of 13 and 7. That's not the definitiion of a stiff.

If you make the Dream Team ahead of Isiah Thomas, and when you were drafted people debated if you were going to be better than Shaq....

and then you go on to become a non-impact journeyman in the league - you're a bust. 

Laettner was suppose to be one of the all-time greats, but he was never the even the best player on his own team.

Thats not fair, he was the best player on those T-Wolves teams.

« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Thats not fair, he was the best player on those T-Wolves teams.

and it showed...

1994-95  21-61 .256
1993-94  20-62 .244
1992-93  19-63 .232
1991-92  15-67 .183

« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2009, 06:06:40 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

Bust? I'll give you that, but certainly not a stiff as you had called him.

« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I don't remember any NBA GM's / Scouts touting Laettner as being a better prospect than Shaq.

A 3rd pick making an all star team is a pretty average return on a lottery pick, sadly. I remember him killing it as a Hawk along side Mutombo, Blaylock and Smith. That team just didn't have much of anything after their top 4.

I would not label Laettner a bust at all. Dukies are over-hyped by the media, rarely so by NBA scouts/gm's from what i've been reading over the past 15-20 years.

« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2009, 11:50:43 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
So I suppose Shane Battier is just milk toast as well. If so, give me more of that stuff(whatever it is). Don't hate someone for playing solid D and playing within a team concept. Williams got where he is by hard work and fundamentals. What more do you want from a backup.