Author Topic: What are you driving these days?  (Read 13333 times)

Re: What are you driving these days?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I'm appalled at the lack of American cars

If Detroit haden't dropped the ball and made a reliable fuel efficient car that i liked instead of 900 variations of SUV's and trucks, id agree.

However, i live on a tight budget as a college grad on his first job, and have had zero mechanical problems and a great gas bill since getting out of college with my Toyota Yaris. I love the little thing, and it was quite affordable as a first time car buyer.

Would i rather own a mustang? sure. but thats not practical, when you consider gas mileage and frequency of matinance.

and i suspect im in the majority of American's on that eval, and thus Detroit's current problem. 

(sedan model, the hatchbacks are ugly. The sedan is no looked, but at least it looks like car.)
There's plenty of American cars that are more practical than a Mustang.  And there's nothing wrong with a little maintenance if it means having a car that runs better/longer, unless you're a teenage girl that is.

now your just being flippant for no reason.

I understand your view that we should buy american, but thats no reason for this kind of response. I looked at American cars too, and what Detroit offers in my price range, which was lower than i liked, but certainly not unreasonable, is nowhere close to the quality toyota offers at that price point.

and Toyota's are some of the most reliable cars on the road, and last forever if well maintained, which i do with mine. It's been nothing but good to me, and been a joy to drive.

and why should i put up with breakdowns and have to buy parts/ put in labor just to prove im not a "teenage girl" in your eyes?

I didn't buy my car to prove im some sort of macho man who can fix'er up myself when it needed constant tuning and parts upkeep, I did that all through high school and college with my 98' F-150.

I bought my car based on my budget, the value for the dollars i was putting in, It's reliability, and it's possible upkeep costs.

When i weighed those factors, I had a clear choice, and it's given me no cause to regret it. IF that somehow doesn't jive with what you think is my responsibility to American car manufactures to buy an inferior product to prove something to myself about being patrotic or supporting American labor, so be it.

It's that attitude of entitlement that has gotten Detroit in trouble, and unfortunately, with the government's willingness to string them along with handouts rather than letting the free market solve the problem through competition that will ensure American cars continue to lag behind. I hope for our economy's sake that the big 3 realize that.

Summary: If you want me to buy an American car in 4-6 years, build a better product. Shocking stuff in this brave new world of bailouts for companies who don;t make a superior product, i know.
I'm not sure i was being flippant.
I can't really argue with anything you said, I just simply disagree that American cars are inferior.  You might think that the problem with Detroit is lack of sales due to bad products, but in my mind it is ignorance of Americans.  People see lower prices and less maintenance and jump.

Can you blame them?  Im sorry but if someone offers me a product that is cheaper and needs less maintenance, I am gonna jump.  Thats how it works.  Im capable ot fixing a lot of problems on cars, but do I have the time to?  Not usually.  Do I enjoy it?  Not when it costs me a saturday afternoon when I could do something better than being under a car.

Not to mention most Americans cant fix their own cars, and add in the steriotypical service writer/mechanic thats always out to screw you out of money, you end up with a majority of people that want to avoid having to take their car to a dealership at all costs....so they buy a product thatll keep them away from there.

Theres nothing wrong with buying American and being proud of the fact that you can fix the problems that come along with the car, but just b/c it's ok for you doesnt mean it should be ok for everyone else.
Greg

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 06:17:07 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
What is a "good" vehicle also has to do with how you drive and your lifestyle because how long a vehicle lasts is heavily effected by how fast you start it, how quick on the gas and brake you are and if you actually avoid hitting the potholes. I have a 1999 F150 4WD that looks and runs like new. I drive less than 5000 miles a year so gas mileage isn't all that important, it was extremely cheap to buy used and because I have an 8 foot bed with a cap, I can take it "cheat camping". I have room for an airmattress and all my coolers, lights, grill, etc and set up and take down in a few minutes. I throw a big mosquito net over the back to keep out the bugs.

The point is that I have a vehicle that costs me little to buy, allows me great freedom to do my outdoor things at little cost and because it has little "electronic frills", there is little to go wrong. It has poor gas mileage but with limited miles it simply doesn't matter. Plus because I have "truck" I can do a lot of things that I can't with a car. For example from taking ladders up to fix the local basketball nets to buying in bulk for groceries to having a high ground clearance with 4WD to avoid getting stuck in the snow.

What is a good vehicle depends upon on a lot of things. Sometimes foreign cars are great (I used to have a great Suburu but part replacement cost was astronomical).

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »

Offline Byrdman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
I just finished renting a Yaris for a month, I actually enjoyed it minus the fact that it had no radio.  Now I'm in a Mazda3 for another 2 weeks, nicer looking car but terrible acceleration and one of the hubcaps already popped off.
I need to post more so that I'm no longer characterized as Tony Allen

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 06:19:41 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

It gets the job done.

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Well I moved to Quincy 2 years ago and I ride the T everyday so I don't have a car that I use.  But at my parents house in CT, I have a 1996 Chevy Camaro Z28, with lots of engine work and go fast parts, and I also have a 1977 Porsche 911 S that is currently being redone.

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

If Detroit haden't dropped the ball and made a reliable fuel efficient car that i liked instead of 900 variations of SUV's and trucks, id agree.

However, i live on a tight budget as a college grad on his first job, and have had zero mechanical problems and a great gas bill since getting out of college with my Toyota Yaris. I love the little thing, and it was quite affordable as a first time car buyer.

Would i rather own a mustang? sure. but thats not practical, when you consider gas mileage and frequency of matinance.

and i suspect im in the majority of American's on that eval, and thus Detroit's current problem. 

(sedan model, the hatchbacks are ugly. The sedan is no looked, but at least it looks like car.)
There's plenty of American cars that are more practical than a Mustang.  And there's nothing wrong with a little maintenance if it means having a car that runs better/longer, unless you're a teenage girl that is.

I understand your view that we should buy american, but thats no reason for this kind of response. I looked at American cars too, and what Detroit offers in my price range, which was lower than i liked, but certainly not unreasonable, is nowhere close to the quality toyota offers at that price point.

and Toyota's are some of the most reliable cars on the road, and last forever if well maintained, which i do with mine. It's been nothing but good to me, and been a joy to drive.

and why should i put up with breakdowns and have to buy parts/ put in labor just to prove im not a "teenage girl" in your eyes?

I didn't buy my car to prove im some sort of macho man who can fix'er up myself when it needed constant tuning and parts upkeep, I did that all through high school and college with my 98' F-150.

I bought my car based on my budget, the value for the dollars i was putting in, It's reliability, and it's possible upkeep costs.

When i weighed those factors, I had a clear choice, and it's given me no cause to regret it. IF that somehow doesn't jive with what you think is my responsibility to American car manufactures to buy an inferior product to prove something to myself about being patrotic or supporting American labor, so be it.

It's that attitude of entitlement that has gotten Detroit in trouble, and unfortunately, with the government's willingness to string them along with handouts rather than letting the free market solve the problem through competition that will ensure American cars continue to lag behind. I hope for our economy's sake that the big 3 realize that.

Summary: If you want me to buy an American car in 4-6 years, build a better product. Shocking stuff in this brave new world of bailouts for companies who don;t make a superior product, i know.
I can't really argue with anything you said, I just simply disagree that American cars are inferior.  You might think that the problem with Detroit is lack of sales due to bad products, but in my mind it is ignorance of Americans.  People see lower prices and less maintenance and jump.

Can you blame them?  Im sorry but if someone offers me a product that is cheaper and needs less maintenance, I am gonna jump.  Thats how it works.  Im capable ot fixing a lot of problems on cars, but do I have the time to?  Not usually.  Do I enjoy it?  Not when it costs me a saturday afternoon when I could do something better than being under a car.

Not to mention most Americans cant fix their own cars, and add in the steriotypical service writer/mechanic thats always out to screw you out of money, you end up with a majority of people that want to avoid having to take their car to a dealership at all costs....so they buy a product thatll keep them away from there.

Theres nothing wrong with buying American and being proud of the fact that you can fix the problems that come along with the car, but just b/c it's ok for you doesnt mean it should be ok for everyone else.
You said it perfectly.  This is the reason why our car industry is failing, not inferior products.  If foreign companies made better products I would see a reason to buy them.  If I had the money I'd buy an Enzo.  But hurting our economy for an equal product so you can personally benefit will only hurt us in the long run.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 06:43:23 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I just got a new Corolla S after driving a 92 corolla throughout high school and college.  Definitly an upgrade!

Good car.  Most of my family drives a Toyota.  I had a 1989 Corolla, had it for 15+ years until I donated to charity.  

I have a 1990 Toyota Cressida, still runs nice and has over 170000 miles.

I also have a 2001 Subaru Outback VDC.

"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

You said it perfectly.  This is the reason why our car industry is failing, not inferior products.  If foreign companies made better products I would see a reason to buy them.  If I had the money I'd buy an Enzo.  But hurting our economy for an equal product so you can personally benefit will only hurt us in the long run.

That's quite a read on his post, it isn't what i took out of it.

It's only equal if your willing to do the maintenance, and part instal which the more realable car (specifically toyota, there's a reason they consistently stomp cars at their price point on quality and why they stay on the road so long) doesn't even need, yourself...

how does that make it equal? your putting time and money into your car that you would not have to if you had bought the better car in the first place.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 06:57:26 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

It gets the job done.

TP I was gonna post my driver as well

Cleveland Hybore XLS
God bless and good night!

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 07:12:18 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

It's only equal if your willing to do the maintenance, and part instal which the more realable car (specifically toyota, there's a reason they consistently stomp cars at their price point on quality and why they stay on the road so long) doesn't even need, yourself...

how does that make it equal? your putting time and money into your car that you would not have to if you had bought the better car in the first place.

Yeah No kidding.  He completely contradicts himself.  "Buying an equal product so you can personally benefit."  How can be it be equal if you can benefit from one over the other? 

Also, Economics isnt my area of expertise, but wouldnt making the superior product to begin with, which would cause Americans to put all their money into that american product be better for our economy instead of what he suggests?

Seriously, why dont I just go out and buy the House from the movie "The Money Pit" because it would be good for our economy.
Greg

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 07:15:47 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm all about used foreign vehicles.  It bothers me that you lose all that value on a new car the moment you drive off the lot.  There are some really good deals to be had if your willing to sort through Craig's List a bit.  

Right now I've got a 1995 Toyota 4Runner and I absolutely LOVE it.  Low milage mid-90's vehicles are the way to go, ever since then car engineering has been about cutting costs with by using lesser materials.  Comparing my 95 4Runner to some of the new ones, a lot of the parts are much much more robust.  It has just over 100k and I'm confident it'll easily get to the 250-300k range with all the prevenative maintenance I'm doing (despite my Mexican Off-Roading habit)  ;D  

The way I look at it, you either have a repair bill or a car payment.  In my experience, those repair bills will not occur 12 times a year.  And if you know what to replace ahead of time, you can go whole years without putting a cent into your used vehicle.  I go with Toyota's and Honda's over American used cars b/c I know that a GM or Ford is much much more likely to drop a tranny (or another part that's worth more than the car) before reaching 200k.  It sucks, but it's just the way it is. 

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

Dangit... I thought I was going to be clever, but I see someone did the same thing.

This, in white:

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40

i drive a Cadillac CTS  and i'll own Cadillacs until i drop

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Yeah No kidding.  He completely contradicts himself.  "Buying an equal product so you can personally benefit."  How can be it be equal if you can benefit from one over the other? 

Also, Economics isnt my area of expertise, but wouldnt making the superior product to begin with, which would cause Americans to put all their money into that american product be better for our economy instead of what he suggests?

Seriously, why dont I just go out and buy the House from the movie "The Money Pit" because it would be good for our economy.
Well, you guys don't seem to understand my views.  Don't be thinking I'm the idiot though because plenty of people feel like me.
I didn't contradict myself.  Just because something benefits you now, doesn't mean it won't hurt you in the long run.  Most people don't know enough about the economy to realize this.  For the people that do know, I'm not gonna be able to change their minds.
I was just raised this way, my family would never buy a non-American car.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »

Offline bstnsportsfan3

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
i drive a 07 Hyundai Accent 2 dr hatchback...43,500 on it right now...just bought it off my dad last week when he bought a 09 chevy aveo hatchback. Both cars get 35+ mph, much better then my 1997 dodge intrepid that had 122,000 that i was driving untill last week. the hyundai is a great little car with surprizing room on the inside and can carrt a crap load for such a tiny car. im very happy with it. it loves the roads down here in texas!
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"-Larry Bird