Author Topic: Defusing the Celtics 9-2 finals edge over the Lakers  (Read 26307 times)

Re: Defusing the Celtics 9-2 finals edge over the Lakers
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2009, 03:45:32 PM »

Offline chelsearules

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 12

Wow, is this even an argument? ****! I'm in my early 30s and have personally witnessed NINE LAKER CHAMPIONSHIPS! We've missed the playoffs TWO TIMES during three rebuilding phases in over 30 years.

c'mon have some pride man. bobcats thunder etc. fans should consider making the playoffs an achievement to crow about. in winning cities like boston we only care about championships and last i checked the celtics still had more than the lakers

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2009, 04:47:44 PM »

Offline jacksmedulaoblongata

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10

It's stuff like this that illustrates my point perfectly, you can't change history, you can dig up all the stats you want about you making the playoffs and having winning seasons, and MAKING THE FINALS AND LOSING, but you lost to the Celtics 9 TIMES IN THE FINALS, you won 2. We've made a living beating your a$$ in the finals.  There is no need to go looking for all kinds of stats to compare our franchises, we are 1-2 in championships and we've accumulated 9 at your expense. laker fans sound like 10 year olds with these ridiculous arguments "stop living in the past" "look how many winning seasons we've had" "look how many times we've made the playoffs". The laker fan mentality constantly betrays them, you're trying to downgrade championships won in the past when that is the primary way of judging a franchise success, CHAMPIONSHIPS.
Your trying to make a big deal out of how long it's been since we won back to back titles? Please, get serious.
And as far as you speaking of the years when the Celtics didn't make the finals, those should be like christmas to laker fans because that's your best shot at winning one.
Get a clue 9-2.  Hey that rhymes.

edited.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:17:28 PM by Edgar »

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2009, 06:45:02 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I just don't understand how you still didn't have enough to make the top 8... you still had Walker or Pierce or a combo of the two...

I watched Kobe single-handedly get us to the playoffs during a couple seasons when we had no business being there and teams with 45-50 wins were barely scraping into the playoffs.

But Laker fan EXPECT to be competitive... that's our heritage... we've only missed the playoffs 5 times in our history... which is less than the Celtics last 15 years (don't have to list them all)

1993/94 - 32-50... rebuilding time!
1994/95 - 35-47... 8th seed with 35 wins... ****? hey at least you made the playoffs!
1995/96 - 33-49... this was a tough luck year
1996/97 - 16-67... ouch.
1997/98 - 36-46... didn't have anywhere to go but up!
1998/99 - 19-31... not so good
1999/00 - 35-47... sub .500 is a beantown tradition
2000/01 - 36-46... another year another sub .500
2001/02 - 49-33... nice almost at 50 wins dudes!
2002/03 - 44-38... nice series vs the pacer but swept by nets ouch... still chasing 50 wins!
2003/04 - 36-46... but still made the playoffs in the 8th seed... hrm how does that work?

I always get irritated when the down years are brought up.  Yes I do understand when it comes down to it they count either way, but seriously we had dark years for a reason.  The Lakers havent had to deal with the kind of adversity the Celtics franchise has had to deal with over the past 25 years, thats why theyve been much more consistant.

Lets turn the tables.  How about Len Bias doesnt die....and on draft night, Kobe Bryant DOES Die?  What would be the championship score now? I know thats getting real hypothetical and probably going a little too far, using the Celtics Dark times against us is just a kick in the balls.  We had the player who was supposed to carry us over to the next generation die, then the guy who replaces him die too.

So bite me with the whole dark ages vs. consistency thing.  Lets see two of your franchise players die tragically, get no cap relief, and lets see how quickly your franchise recovers.

again.....Lets see two of your franchise players die tragically, get no cap relief, and lets see how quickly your franchise recovers

again... 9-2

again... 17-15

again.....we win
Greg

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »

Offline dodobirl1988

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
For the people who are accusing the original poster of picking and choosing his arguments, aren't they doing the same thing when they bring up only the 9-2 and 17-15 arguments? 

What about those horribly gawd-awful period between the 1990's and pre-2008?  How can you discount such long futility and just keep referring back to the 60's and 80's only? 

Nobody can discount Bill Russell years.  That man was a freak of nature when he played.  That Celtics team is probably Top 3 Dynasties in Sports history (really, think of a better dynasty along side Wooden UCLA).  Irrational Lakers fans might discount the Russell years, but true sports fans don't, so don't worry about that argument. 

Fact is fact.  OP's point is that if you count every season played by both teams, Lakers have had more "successful" seasons than the Celtics.  That's all he's saying.  He's not saying the Lakers have more championships.  He's not just simply saying Lakers are the better team.  He's just saying that the Lakers have had "more successful seasons, compared to the Celtics."

Now, I agree that Championships matters MOST to determine team success.  But if you're going to factor in the entire franchise, let's not forget team failures.  Between the Lakers and Celtics, it's clear that the Celts have had more failures. 

If all you care about is which franchise is better, it all depends on which jersey you're wearing...

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2009, 07:45:47 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
I really don't understand these discussions.  The Celtics are #1.  Laker fans you are #2 know your role and accept it.   I know I already posted this but 60's Warriors w/Wilt, the 70's Knicks, the late 70's-80's 76ers, the 80's Pistons, the 90's Bulls & The 02-07 Pistons were great teams all from the East.    All the West ever had that is considered great was the 90's Rockets and 99-07 Spurs that is it.  They never even had any other team win more than 1 title in 60+ years. 

That is ridiculous.   Only 2 teams from the West, besides the Lakers ever won more than 1 title.   And those two teams(Spurs Rockets)won a total of 6.

From the great teams from the East 6 great teams won a total of 15 titles. 

That closes the discussion right there.   That is why all the Lakers have as an advantage is the conference and division titles, because they played in a obvsiously weaker conference.

That is why the Celtics have won 9 of 11 finals series against the Lakers.
Because we are #1.

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2009, 07:47:14 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Switch conferences and the titles probably look like this Celtics 27 Lakers 8.

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2009, 08:07:18 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
This is the clincher.    From 1979-80 to 1988-89, the decade known as the 1980's, the Lakers best decade, every single year the best team in the East, besides the Celtics, was better than the best team in the West, besides the Lakers, every single year. 
Not 7 out of 10, not even 8 out of 10. 
10 out of 10.   For 10 consecutive years the best team in the east,besides the Celtics, had a better record than the best team in the West, besides the Lakers. 
.....and that was the Lakers best decade.   

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2009, 08:10:08 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
was there any reason given as to why the celtics did'nt get cap relief when reggie died? hornets got it after bobby phillds death, unless i'm mistaken.

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
was there any reason given as to why the celtics did'nt get cap relief when reggie died? hornets got it after bobby phillds death, unless i'm mistaken.

And Houston just got it when Yao hurt his foot.  Let's just say David Stern should hope he lives forever, because I am sure Red is patiently waiting for him somewhere.

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

And Houston just got it when Yao hurt his foot.  Let's just say David Stern should hope he lives forever, because I am sure Red is patiently waiting for him somewhere.
Different rules, different CBA. Red ****ed off too many old timers who refused to change it when Reggie died.

After the fact cooler heads in the NBA worked provisions into the system to never let that happen again. But only after the C's wouldn't benefit. A lot of the NBA really hated Red.

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2009, 08:40:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

In fairness:

1) It was under a different Collective Bargaining Agreement;

2) The Celtics did receive *some* relief, in the form of a cap exception; and

3) The NBA Board of Governors, rather than Stern, made the decision to deny the Celts cap relief.

http://www.celticsbeagle.net/cbwfaq.html#Myth:_reggie_lewis_cap_mixup

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2009, 09:06:17 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
If all you care about is which franchise is better, it all depends on which jersey you're wearing...

True.  If we could ever settle this, the rivalry will have become lame.  I don't like the Lakers.  But I really, really can't stand the Lakers because over time they are the most legitimate challenger to my Celtics.  I dislike the Pistons too but they aren't in the Laker's league, bad boy era or not. 

When you really get caught up in it, the Lakers and the Celtics are universal opposites -- showtime vs. blue collar, flash vs. tradition.  It goes beyond the court, this a battle of cultures and of values. 

The Celtics are the best NBA franchise.  I know that in my heart.

And I have absolutely no interest in persuading Lakers fans on this issue.  I want them to hate/respect the C's as much as I hate/respect their franchise.  That's what makes the rivalry so worthwhile.  And so much fun!!!

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2009, 12:48:38 AM »

Offline BoyBee

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 10
Fun game!  OK, I’ll play along.  The OP seems like a decent guy, but he takes a lot of liberties with actual fact and tortuously tries to represent them as a new set of facts.

I offer up the following article as historical fact…”

“However, if people are to debate, the facts must be known.”

He immediately proceeds into a lengthy and pointless discussion of the Spurs vs. Lakers in the 90s (?)

Then comes the poor meat of his argument:  the Lakers (the LA Lakers, folks – not George Mikan’s Minneapolis team in 1949;  sheesh!) didn’t get to play the Celtics in their banner years of “1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, and 2002.”  “…with a bit of luck and fate, we could have met six more times in the finals and I feel the score would be Lakers 7, Celtics 3 over the post Russell era.”

This is not logic or fact at all.  It is flat-out fantasizing: it didn’t happen, Dreamweaver.  Look, I’m a Bruins fan, take a look at our playoff record against the Canadians sometime.  There’s some futility and heartache for you right there.  But no self-respecting B’s fan goes to the lengths that the Laker revisionists (howdy, Hollinger!) go to in order to twist the truth into an indigestible purple and yellow pretzel.  They are utilizing the LAW OF COMMON USAGE:  Repeat a lie often enough, & get enough people to repeat it with you, and it becomes the truth.

These are the facts, and they are indisputable in regard to actual championships:

Head-to-Head:  Boston Celtics 9, Los Angeles Lakers 2

Overall:  Boston Celtics 17, Los Angeles Lakers 10

Laker fans seem haunted by the Celtics in the same way that Jerry West looks haunted whenever he has to relive going up against the C’s when the bacon was on the line.  All the media roar and greasepaint for a state with a population of 11 million people did not make the hoped-for difference time and time again against the little town of Boston (about ½ million people).  Which is why Red, bless him, made it a point to laud the C’s achievements to the skies every time they overcame a media that coddled the majority (by playing up to the Lakers) and an opponent that acted as if the championship belonged to them just because they showed up (1969 anyone?  2008?  2010…?).  I am so proud of the Celtics for what they have done time and time again, against all kinds of long odds.

Now (and a big thanks to Greg for pointing out what was going unsaid), there’s the matter of the Dark Years.  You know, the death of Len Bias to begin with.  If you want to fantasize, consider how many titles the Celtics would have won with a guy who was bigger than Michael Jordan, had a better shot than MJ, and was considered by those “in the know” to be a absolute stud.  He was described as “can’t miss” among the college coaches who saw him up close, and every NBA team wailed about the rich getting richer... sorry, you can't handicap Red for having the best brain in the barn. If Bias gets the chance to live up to his promise, Larry, Kevin, Chief, and DJ don’t have to play the ungodly minutes that wore down their bodies prematurely.  As in:  Bird’s bone spurs and bad back, and McHale’s broken foot, for starters.  The Celtics were set for a long time, and the blackout 90s don’t happen. I award three banners easy to a team which hasn’t been taken apart that cruelly.

Of course, there wasn't even cap relief from the league, so the C’s were crippled literally and figuratively.  They couldn’t so much as go out and pick up a serviceable replacement. 

I say we beat the Lakers in ’87 without these catastrophes.  And man, did we ever show up anyway…  4-2, not a foregone conclusion no matter what the circumstance.  It took McHale letting a board slip away in order for that “Real Jr.-Jr.-and-a-bag-of-shell-zizzles” skyhook from Magic to happen.  It was that close.

Consider also the death of Reggie Lewis, our captain, which further forestalled the recapturing of our rightful glory.  And hey, in order to be fair & balanced, don’t forget a bunch of lottery ping-pong balls that somehow defied mathematical odds… these are a lot of gut-punches that would have brought any team down. We absolutely win a slew of additional titles with Tim Duncan manning the paint.  I’ll accept the 5 that he won with the Spurs for the sake of argument.

If I can dream too, I want all the titles that death, injury, unfairness, and mathematical fishiness cost us.  That’s much more fair than what-iffing about meeting in a few conveniently-selected years.

Head-to-Head:  Boston Celtics 10, Los Angeles Lakers 1

Overall:  Boston Celtics 26 Los Angeles Lakers 4

That’s what it looks like if you are playing a more realistic version of “What-If”. This much-improved WOULDA-SHOULDA HONOR ROLE is clear proof how dominant a franchise the Boston Celtics are, one of the best in the history of all North American sports combined (howdy, Hollinger!).  Only death, severe injury, and flatly unfair anti-Celtic bias on the part of the NBA front office could slow us down.  The Dark Times were real, and they were unfair.  Real-world unfair, not sitting on a bar stool & slurring in-between sips of Flakertinis:  “Y’know, I really wish we could have played the Celtics in our other banner years – we really would have shown them.  It’s so unfair.  Pass me an olive.

I just feel like tossing in here that I deeply came to admire Magic, Kareem, Riles, Worthy, and others after I heard them speak with thoughtful and high respect for our boys.  I keed and I keed, but these were glorious times against worthy opponents and good men.  And sorry, Kobe just isn’t these guys… my perspective might change given time, but it’s how I see it right now. A plastic and uninspiring punk-face. What a player, though.

“So, you Celtics fans see it as Boston 9 Lakers 2. However, that only counts 11 of the 61 seasons the two teams have been in the league, which many feel is misleading.  To back that up notice that the Celtics advantage of 7 titles over the Lakers head-to-head drops to 2 titles when all are counted, 17-15. We Lakers fans see Lakers 37 Celtics 24 as the true and accurate assessment comparing the two teams over the entire history of the NBA.”

I think this guff has been thoroughly debunked by now by plenty of other posters (really, anyone with an intact frontal lobe) by now.  I mean, lookit:  it is “historical fact” that if the Celtics make it to the finals, they’re probably going to win (17 out of 20 – without the woulda-couldas, and without having the luxury of waltzing through a traditionally weaker Western conference – remember that Russ was injured in the finals against St. Louis to boot… should be 12 rings for him & another for the C’s.  The Lakers – any version – are not even .500!).  Which is the real champion with the eye of the tiger I ask?  Which franchise doesn’t blink when the prize is in the cross-hairs?  We’ve never gone down all easy-peasey (4-0 or even 4-1) when it was time to show up for real. Never, ever suffered a 131-92 annhilation in a finals close-out game. Can you make the same claim?    ;)

Time to put this nonsense to sleep once and for all.  Can’t believe I wrote this much (I rarely post, but I love to read), but hey, it’s my team!  I’ll stand up for them too.  [Anyone want to send this to ESPN for the sake of being “fair & balanced”?]. 

Good luck to all, 2010 is shaping up quite tasty, thank you very much.  And may I say here, with all my heart:  THANK YOU, DANNY!  THANK YOU, RED!  Russ, Cooz, Hondo… not enough ink in my keyboard…

See you in the finals in 2010?

Have another olive my man, and be careful what you wish for.

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2009, 01:06:31 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Time to put this nonsense to sleep once and for all.  Can’t believe I wrote this much (I rarely post, but I love to read)

Wow. You should post more often  ;D TP for a very nice post
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2009, 01:11:37 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1823
Do we have a science-fiction section in this forum? Maybe we should move this thread there. A comedy section would do too.