Author Topic: trade idea (BOS, MIN, WAS)  (Read 14025 times)

Re: trade idea (BOS, MIN, WAS)
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Would much rather have Ray than that junk. No thanks.

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

We should extend Ray one year, bring him back, and then have this conversation next summer. 

Ray is signed for next year, so you mean give him a one year extension through summer of 2011?  I don't think the C's have any interest in doing that for what he is making now, and I don't think Ray has any interest in taking a pay cut, and only getting a 1 year contract out of it.

Also, if the C's sign him to a 1 year extension, it would mean he has the right to refuse any trade next summer or beyond, because he would be playing on a 1 year contract, and being traded would mean giving up his bird rights.

This is just not realistic.

If he is going to be traded, it will be this summer, or at the trade deadline.  Otherwise, they will just let him expire, and possibly bring him back at a reduced cost for another 2-3+ years.

Maybe.  But I think it makes the most basketball sense to extend him one more year.  Since I don't pay him, I'd have no problem giving him the same money he makes right now for another year.  However, Wyc might not see things the way I do.

However, to trade him now risks too much in what could be this groups finest year.  I'd rather see him walk away and us get nothing in return than trade him at this point.  At least we'd clear some space. 
Why would you pay Ray the same money for one more year --> going into 2011?  Makes no sense.  He's still a very good player but not worth what he's getting paid right now.  He's making franchise-player money and he's not at that level.  Extending him for the same amount one year would have crippling luxury tax impacts. 

With that in mind, I hope you meant to just extend him another year at less than half of what he'll make next year.   The trading implications mentioned above would make that a questionable deal also.

I think they're better off holding on to him this year.  Let him expire and talk him into resigning for 2-3 years at less than half of what he makes now with a declining amount each season to match his expected productivity.  After next year, we hopefully would have someone that could step in for him and he could come off the bench as the "6th" man even though he doesn't really fit the mold of a great 6th man which is being a player that can play multiple positions.

Well, I'd obviously rather not sign him to similar money he has now, but I am shocked how many people on this board act like they would have to pay Ray's salary out of their own pocket. 

Here's how I see things.  Pierce and KG are on the books for the 2010-2011 season for over 40 million dollars combined.  Throw in Perk at 4 million and a re-signed Rondo at somewhere around 10 million.  Those 4 contracts combined are going to be somewhere around 55 million, so whether we have Ray or not next summer, we're not going to be FA players next summer. 

As for what to do with Ray next year, I'm not suggesting paying him max money on a 1-year contract for the heck of it, I'm simply saying that everyone on this board seems to love the fact that Ray has an expiring 20 million dollar contract.  If that's such a valuable tool in trades, they way to keep it a valuable tool and keep Ray another year is to extend him 1 year at similar money. 

Personally, I don't care how much we extend Ray for as long as it gets done. I wouldn't mind the scenario he propose with him resigning for 2-3 more years at lower money.  However, if he signs a 3 year deal and falters after the first year, the C's aren't going to find it easy to move him.  Not so with a one year deal.

Still, I tend to agree that the C's probably won't offer him 1 year at max money and that Ray won't take 1 year at short money.  But in a perfect world, that's what I'd like to see happen. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:24:20 PM by Jon »

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

We should extend Ray one year, bring him back, and then have this conversation next summer. 

Ray is signed for next year, so you mean give him a one year extension through summer of 2011?  I don't think the C's have any interest in doing that for what he is making now, and I don't think Ray has any interest in taking a pay cut, and only getting a 1 year contract out of it.

Also, if the C's sign him to a 1 year extension, it would mean he has the right to refuse any trade next summer or beyond, because he would be playing on a 1 year contract, and being traded would mean giving up his bird rights.

This is just not realistic.

If he is going to be traded, it will be this summer, or at the trade deadline.  Otherwise, they will just let him expire, and possibly bring him back at a reduced cost for another 2-3+ years.

Maybe.  But I think it makes the most basketball sense to extend him one more year.  Since I don't pay him, I'd have no problem giving him the same money he makes right now for another year.  However, Wyc might not see things the way I do.

However, to trade him now risks too much in what could be this groups finest year.  I'd rather see him walk away and us get nothing in return than trade him at this point.  At least we'd clear some space. 
Why would you pay Ray the same money for one more year --> going into 2011?  Makes no sense.  He's still a very good player but not worth what he's getting paid right now.  He's making franchise-player money and he's not at that level.  Extending him for the same amount one year would have crippling luxury tax impacts. 

With that in mind, I hope you meant to just extend him another year at less than half of what he'll make next year.   The trading implications mentioned above would make that a questionable deal also.

I think they're better off holding on to him this year.  Let him expire and talk him into resigning for 2-3 years at less than half of what he makes now with a declining amount each season to match his expected productivity.  After next year, we hopefully would have someone that could step in for him and he could come off the bench as the "6th" man even though he doesn't really fit the mold of a great 6th man which is being a player that can play multiple positions.

Well, I'd obviously rather not sign him to similar money he has now, but I am shocked how many people on this board act like they would have to pay Ray's salary out of their own pocket. 

Here's how I see things.  Pierce and KG are on the books for the 2010-2011 season for over 40 million dollars combined.  Throw in Perk at 4 million and a re-signed Rondo at somewhere around 10 million.  Those 4 contracts combined are going to be somewhere around 55 million, so whether we have Ray or not next summer, we're not going to be FA players next summer. 

As for what to do with Ray next year, I'm not suggesting paying him max money on a 1-year contract for the heck of it, I'm simply saying that everyone on this board seems to love the fact that Ray has an expiring 20 million dollar contract.  If that's such a valuable tool in trades, they way to keep it a valuable tool and keep Ray another year is to extend him 1 year at similar money. 

Personally, I don't care how much we extend Ray for as long as it gets done. I wouldn't mind the scenario he propose with him resigning for 2-3 more years at lower money.  However, if he signs a 3 year deal and falters after the first year, the C's aren't going to find it easy to move him.  Not so with a one year deal.

Still, I tend to agree that the C's probably won't offer him 1 year at max money and that Ray won't take 1 year at short money.  But in a perfect world, that's what I'd like to see happen. 
There's no disagreement that the C's won't be chasing bigname FAs in the next 2 years with or without Ray but you have to be aware of the payroll totals.  Putting the team over the luxury tax with just your starting 5 makes it very unlikely the team would sign anyone over the minimum or splitting the MLE between 3 or more players (vet min players don't count against the tax if I recall correctly).  That makes a big difference in who you sign.  With a reasonable payroll, using the MLE and LLE as signing options will net better FA's than just using the min or the MLE divided into parts that are about the same as the vet min.

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I guess I wasn't clear with my motivation here.  I don't care about the money.  I would love it if the owners paid 100 million.  My problem is that I don't believe ownership is willing ton continue to pay so much money (and luxury tax) going forward.  I think they have a limit.  So if you are overpaying guys, that you do not need to overpay, then you are actually hurting the team. 

In my mind, ownership has been clear that they will agree to pay the luxury tax for the right players.  However, in this statement, it has been clear that they will not pay the luxury tax for guys who are overpaid.  So if they see Ray as a $10 million player, and he is making $20 million player, I don't think they will then give Ainge the go-ahead to add more salary to put around him.  This would put constraints on things like the MLE, or possible trades.

Perhaps I am wrong, but this is where I an coming from.  It is not about saving ownership money, it is because I do not think ownership is willing to give Ainge a blank check (and I don't blame them one bit for it).

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2009, 06:26:23 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
One premise for this trade was that MIN wants to trade up to #5 to get Rubio.  Is Rubio going to be available at 5???  Does MIN think that he will be?  I don't.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2009, 07:05:59 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Action781,

Minny was then going to trade their #6 and the newly acquired #5 to Memphis at #2 and make sure to get Rubio there.

Smitty77

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2009, 02:02:28 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
I'm not crazy about this deal. 

We get a massive downgrade from Allen to Miller.  Sure, we improve our bench ... but how much Foye and Gomes really help is debatable. 

Why wouldn't Minnesota just offer Foye, #6, and #18 to Memphis for Rubio if they really wanted him that badly?

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2009, 08:11:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not crazy about this deal. 

We get a massive downgrade from Allen to Miller.  Sure, we improve our bench ... but how much Foye and Gomes really help is debatable. 

Why wouldn't Minnesota just offer Foye, #6, and #18 to Memphis for Rubio if they really wanted him that badly?
considering Rubio can only fill one position on the court and Minnie needs to fill a lot of holes, I wouldn't move Foye, #6 and #18 for Rubio.  #6 and #18 could produce some solid players for them to fill some holes. 

If they could make the trade to get the #1 and get Griffin, that would be a different story since he's about the only sure-thing in the draft and they'd have an incredible front court with Big Al, Griffin, Love, Smith. 

If that can't happen, use #6 on Harden and #18 on Flynn (if available at that spot or grab another PG prospect) and this team is getting pretty solid for the future even without Griffin. 

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2009, 12:36:48 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I commend you for proposing a trade that could actually happen (unlike a lot of people on CB), but I'd rather keep Ray.