Poll

What's your opinion about legalizing gay marriage?

Strongly for it
Cool with it
Don't care one way or another
Somewhat against it
Against it on so many levels

Author Topic: Gay Marriage -- where do you stand (Poll)  (Read 58997 times)

Re: Gay Marriage -- where do you stand (Poll)
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 07:24:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUMwQcMVmnc

So do you agree with the President, is that why you posted this link?

Yep, I agree with Obama.  I'm fully on board with civil unions and all the civil rights that come with them, but I'm not in favor of marriage.  I also don't think that churches should be forced to allow homosexuals to have ceremonies -- whether they be marriages or civil unions -- on church property.

So yep, I'm on the same page as Obama, Miss California, and the majority of voters who have addressed the issue.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 375
Just to echo fairweather...I get the feeling that in 40 years Im gonna have to explain to my grandkids how gay people used to not be allowed to marry, and its gonna blow their mind..kinda like when my parents talked to me about segregation laws.

This is another thing. If I were black, I would be insulted that this is even being compared to what they went through. I mean this is rediculous. Are gay people forced in servanthood? Were they ever told to sit in the back of public transport, were they ever told that they were only worth 2/3 a man? Were they told not to sit at the same stool in a restaraunt?
It has not been proven that it is hereditary or genetic. We need to stop equating this to what happend to all minorities in the past.

If I believ I am attracted to animals, should I be give the same advantages of normal married couples? Where does it stop is what  would like to know.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:36:02 PM by angryguy77 »

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Yep, I agree with Obama.  I'm fully on board with civil unions and all the civil rights that come with them, but I'm not in favor of marriage.  I also don't think that churches should be forced to allow homosexuals to have ceremonies -- whether they be marriages or civil unions -- on church property.

So yep, I'm on the same page as Obama, Miss California, and the majority of voters who have addressed the issue.

What about governments getting out of "marriage" all together and only recognizing civil unions between people and allowing different religions to "marry" whom their faith allows?

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 07:41:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

What about governments getting out of "marriage" all together and only recognizing civil unions between people and allowing different religions to "marry" whom their faith allows?

While that may not have been a bad decision when states were originally passing these laws, I think it's impossible to go back now.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 07:51:56 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 177
Just to echo fairweather...I get the feeling that in 40 years Im gonna have to explain to my grandkids how gay people used to not be allowed to marry, and its gonna blow their mind..kinda like when my parents talked to me about segregation laws.

This is another thing. If I were black, I would be insulted that this is even being compared to what they went through. I mean this is rediculous. Are gay people forced in servanthood? Were they ever told to sit in the back of public transport, were they ever told that they were only worth 2/3 a man? Were they told not to sit at the same stool in a restaraunt?
It has not been proven that it is hereditary or genetic. We need to stop equating this to what happend to all minorities in the past.

If I believ I am attracted to animals, should I be give the same advantages of normal married couples? Where does it stop is what  would like to know.

Angry,

I am on record for respecting you for sharing your thoughts on this (see earlier post), but IMHO the argument to equate two humans loving each other to a human loving an animal is indeed a form of bigotry.  The comparison degrades human emotions towards one another and is commonly used in an attempt to degrade those seeking equality.

Although there's multiple conclusions regarding the hereditary vs. choice argument (pick the result based on which side of the issue you lean towards), I am one who firmly believes that homosexuality is strongly rooted in one's genetic make up and therefore equate the issue to the issue of interracial marriage.   Because my wife has multiple family members (brother, 2 cousins, aunt) who are gay (despite coming from a highly religious / conservative family), I have to accept the fact that one of my two children may share the same genetic make up as her relatives (as her brother once told after I asked him if he thought homosexuality was genetic or choice "it has to be genetic, who in the right mind would chose to be looked down upon by others daily).

I'll continue to respect and support your forthrightness, but please keep the veiled bigoted comparisons to yourself.

SSF
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 08:00:43 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I feel the same way about gay marriage as abortion.

I have definite opinions about both - not in favor of either on - but they're mine alone.

It is not my business to try to legislate people's agreement with my views.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 08:01:46 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1563
I think that the core issue should be clear: either you believe that homosexuality between consenting adults is immoral behavior or you believe that homosexuality between consenting adults is moral behavior.  An attraction initiates a connection after which a physical realionship emerges which grows to an emotional bond and ultimately love -- this is the approximate process for folks who are attracted to same gender partners as it is for folks in opposite gender partnerships.  Either you think homosexuals are wrong and immoral or you think they are morally and rightly expressing a normal, human, biological imperative.

Logic flows that if you think homosexuality is wrong then you should be opposed to gay marriage.  However, If you think homosexuality is morally sound then you should favor same sex marriage.  In fact, the only position that I cannot tolerate is one that states that homosexuality is OK but just keep it away from me and my children and don't destroy the sanctity of marriage by allowing these folks to marry.  Inherent in that type of statement is the underlying core belief that homosexuality is morally incorrect --  you are NOT OK with it.  Let's at least be intellectually honest about the argument.

Marriage vs. civil union is not a semantic argument as far as I am concerned.  I really could not look at q gay/lesbian American and say to him/her that on the one hand I have no moral dissonance with regard homosexuality but, at the same time, I'd like to deny you the right to express your love and commitment in the same why I can.  

'Marriage', as a word/concept in our society has very powerful meaning.  It is the one word that expresses the highest level of a person to person commitment that is available in our society.  Imagine the friend that tells you they broke up with their girlfriend after 3 years of living together compared to the friend that tells you he is getting a divorce after a 3 year marriage.  The difference matters.  It is not just that there are legal ramifications, but there are social/emotional/societal ramifications that are inherently different (not to suggest a 3 year break up without marriage isn't sometimes traumatic -- of course it can be). But, nothing rises to the level of marriage in our society and the word itself contains a palpable message that no other word or concept is equal to.  I simply cannot look my gay or lesbian fellow Americans in the eye, as I stand next to my wife and say 'sorry, you aren't entitled to society's highest acknowledgement of commitment to each other -- but I am'.  

I believe that it should be the right of 2 consenting adult gay men or lesbian women to be married in America.  

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 08:13:34 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1563
[

This argument is a form of projection on your part.  It is you that believes sex with animals and sex between consenting same sex adults are morally comparable. Not me.  I believe that sex between consenting same sex adults is moral behavior. However, sex between man and animal is not, just as sex amongst siblings is not, sex between adults and minors is not.  Don't make up arguments that don't exist simply because you are disgusted by homosexuality. NO credible person I have EVER heard argues in favor of man-animal marriage (or sibling marriage or adult-minor marriage for that matter). Bringing morally indefensible 'slippery slope' arguments into the picture only demonstrates that you place homosexuality as a moral equivalent to other abhorent behaivor. It by no means follows that folks who are not morally outraged be homosexuality would not be very much morally outraged by acts such as sex with animals.

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 08:20:34 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

I'm not sure that you actually agree with Obama, Roy.

I mean, is it just the word that you don't want Gays to be able to use?

What is the underpinning of your opinion on this issue as it relates to the license that people get when they get married (ie the non religious aspect)? Should atheists be able to get married?

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

What is the underpinning of your opinion on this issue as it relates to the license that people get when they get married (ie the non religious aspect)? Should atheists be able to get married?

In what way do I disagree with Obama?  He wants marriage to be confined to one man and one woman.  I agree.  He approves of civil unions.  I agree.  He wants gays to be given full civil rights.  I agree.

Why wouldn't atheists be able to get married?  One man can marry one woman, no matter what their creed is.

I do think that there is a role for traditional values in our society.  "Marriage" has had a defined definition in Anglo-American culture pretty much since its inception, and I see no problem with preserving that. 

Also, I disagree strongly with the thought above that anybody who isn't in favor of gay marriage harbors prejudice or moral indignation towards homosexuals; I'm assuming the President and the clear majority of Americans don't fall into that category.

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't see the difference between "civil unions" for gays and gay marriages for gays.

How are they different other than the name?

I suspect that the term was made so that politicians could say they supported unions, thereby trying to win gay votes, but not marriages thereby not losing too many mainstream votes

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

In what way do I disagree with Obama?  He wants marriage to be confined to one man and one woman.  I agree.  He approves of civil unions.  I agree.  He wants gays to be given full civil rights.  I agree.

Why wouldn't atheists be able to get married?  One man can marry one woman, no matter what their creed is.

I do think that there is a role for traditional values in our society.  "Marriage" has had a defined definition in Anglo-American culture pretty much since its inception, and I see no problem with preserving that. 

Also, I disagree strongly with the thought above that anybody who isn't in favor of gay marriage harbors prejudice or moral indignation towards homosexuals; I'm assuming the President and the clear majority of Americans don't fall into that category.

doesn't the interview strike you as a "pick your batttles" response?

and what other underpinnings does marriage only being between a man and a woman have other than religion?

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

and what other underpinnings does marriage only being between a man and a woman have other than religion?

Of course "one man one woman" has religious underpinnings.  So do many of the laws in our society.  This country was founded on Judeo-Christian values.  There should be tolerance for all traditions and values, but much of our society flows from religion.

As for Obama, I'm taking him at face value.  Why should I assume that he's lying?

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 08:59:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The same underpinnings as thinking it's only between two humans or two adults.  I think that would be societal. And I also don't think it's anti-Islamic or anti-Mormon or something to think it's only between two people

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Of course "one man one woman" has religious underpinnings.  So do many of the laws in our society.  This country was founded on Judeo-Christian values.  There should be tolerance for all traditions and values, but much of our society flows from religion.

As for Obama, I'm taking him at face value.  Why should I assume that he's lying?

Why assume he's lying? Cause he's a politician. One known to flip positions for political gain, like many politicians

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required