Poll

What's your opinion about legalizing gay marriage?

Strongly for it
Cool with it
Don't care one way or another
Somewhat against it
Against it on so many levels

Author Topic: Gay Marriage -- where do you stand (Poll)  (Read 58378 times)

Gay Marriage -- where do you stand (Poll)
« on: May 29, 2009, 05:30:17 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 177
New Hampshire is on the verge of joining Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Connecticut and the far western New England state of Iowa to approve gay marriage. (California approved gay marriage, but only for those who were already married prior to the ban).

Where do you stand?
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

Re: Gay Marriage -- where do you stand (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 05:40:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't care what they call it, but I think Gay couples who make a lifelong commitment to each other (and in many cases start a family) should be given the exact same rights (and responsibilities) under the law as straight couples who get married.

If the issue is that "Marriage is between a man and a woman", fine, call it a Civil Union, and make it exactly the same as a marriage, but with a different name...although I tend to think that is kind of ridiculous anyways.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Al Horford
I don't care what they call it, but I think Gay couples who make a lifelong commitment to each other (and in many cases start a family) should be given the exact same rights (and responsibilities) under the law as straight couples who get married.

If the issue is that "Marriage is between a man and a woman", fine, call it a Civil Union, and make it exactly the same as a marriage, but with a different name...although I tend to think that is kind of ridiculous anyways.

I agree with the ridiculous comment, plus if something is called something else, can it really be the same?

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 05:52:44 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm cool with it

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 05:56:50 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 373
No not at all cool with it on sociatl, religious and political reasons.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 05:58:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I can't think of a reason not to allow it. At least they are unlikely to have shotgun weddings doomed to failure. If anything degrades marriage, it is 18 year-olds getting shotgun weddings.

While I find it sad that there are religious groups who would not want to wed same sex couples, I support the right of religions to remain bigoted.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 05:59:57 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Strongly for it.  I am straight but have several queer friends who are married/getting married and I am grateful that we live in a state that supports the equal rights of all citizens regardless of their gender, race or sexual preference.  

I'm firmly NOT for Civil Unions (does separate but equal sound familiar?), if it's the same thing how about we give gay people "marriage" and we straight folks take "civil unions"?  My favorite is the "sanctity of marriage" argument, which is an obnoxious way of ignoring the fact that straight marriage has been an extremely rocky affair for decades.  Nearly half of all straight marriages end in divorce, and if your gay neighbors get married it has nothing to do with your own marriage.  

The banning of gay marriage is an archetype of an antiquated belief system, based off of religious views that shouldn't be used to legislate people's civil rights.  Same as when it it was illegal to marry interracially.  Anyone who believes gay marriage is wrong probably thinks being gay is wrong, if that is not the case I'm interested to hear it.

I believe in equality for all people.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
No not at all cool with it on sociatl, religious and political reasons.
I understand the possible religious reasons, and possible the social reasons (afraid your son will want to have sex with a man if he sees a gay couple), but I can't imagine what the political reasons might be. Care to clarify?

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Strongly for it.  I am straight but have several queer friends who are married/getting married and I am grateful that we live in a state that supports the equal rights of all citizens regardless of their gender, race or sexual preference.  

I'm firmly NOT for Civil Unions (does separate but equal sound familiar?), if it's the same thing how about we give gay people "marriage" and we straight folks take "civil unions"?  My favorite is the "sanctity of marriage" argument, which is an obnoxious way of ignoring the fact that straight marriage has been an extremely rocky affair for decades.  Nearly half of all straight marriages end in divorce, and if your gay neighbors get married it has nothing to do with your own marriage.  

The banning of gay marriage is an archetype of an antiquated belief system, based off of religious views that shouldn't be used to legislate people's civil rights.  Same as when it it was illegal to marry interracially.  Anyone who believes gay marriage is wrong probably thinks being gay is wrong, if that is not the case I'm interested to hear it.

But there are some really old books that say it is wrong!  :P

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 06:03:52 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 50
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I don't have any problem with it, and what two people want to do really isn't any of my business. Hell, anyone who read any of my Will Solomon tribute posts might question my sexuality.

Now when cyborgs want to get married, that's another story... I hate cyborgs.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
this makes me feel EXTREMELY disapointed.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 06:08:59 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'

8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-ip47WYWc

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 06:10:39 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Al Horford
I'm cool with it

Dude, I continue to be the president of your fan club.

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Please don't insult people's religions.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 50
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
this makes me feel EXTREMELY disapointed.

Care to specify?

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required