Author Topic: Giddens carries Flash to the D-League Finals  (Read 84365 times)

Re: Giddens carries Flash to the D-League Finals
« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Are you really arguing that Giddens could play in the GSW system? With his outside shooting? Who was the last guard who was successful there without being able to shoot the ball? Seriously, I'd really like to know the answer to this.

how about Monta?

Better shooter (besides a much better player). Monta shot 34% from distance in his rookie season in the NBA; Giddens is shooting 28% in his rookie season in the D-League.

you asked the question, I'm just trying to answer it. I could see JR getting a lot of buckets in transition....just like many of their wings do...

Randolph has a very unrefined game and scored a bunch for them.

Randolph is not a guard. Randolph is 6'10''.

« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
why would he have to rely on it (ie be as important for guard as a big man) for it to be something he could do well at the NBA level?

Huh? Because he needs to do other things at a high level besides rebounding in order to play in the NBA. His rebounding and energy alone won't make him a NBA player. On the other hand, it may be enough for a big man. What's so hard to understand about this?

but that's not the only thing he does well.....he's really good in transition, for instance.

Yeah, I wrote that in the open post. Do you really have a problem with this statement:

He's saying that his rebounding skills would be something to rely on if he were a PF, but since he is a guard, it won't as big of a factor.?

Do you disagree with it?

no, but again, I don't see why it needs to be as big a factor....

Me neither. That's why I said it wasn't a big factor. What's the problem you have then?

okay, I'm just gonna back up because we are not on the same track here.

to restate, JR is a really good rebounder and could contribute that aspect of his game at the NBA level.

« Reply #242 on: April 24, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
to restate, JR is a really good rebounder and could contribute that aspect of his game at the NBA level.

Yeps, I said that in the 1st post in this thread.

« Reply #243 on: April 24, 2009, 06:09:38 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Are you really arguing that Giddens could play in the GSW system? With his outside shooting? Who was the last guard who was successful there without being able to shoot the ball? Seriously, I'd really like to know the answer to this.

how about Monta?

Better shooter (besides a much better player). Monta shot 34% from distance in his rookie season in the NBA; Giddens is shooting 28% in his rookie season in the D-League.

you asked the question, I'm just trying to answer it. I could see JR getting a lot of buckets in transition....just like many of their wings do...

Randolph has a very unrefined game and scored a bunch for them.

Randolph is not a guard. Randolph is 6'10''.

i'm pointing him out because he scores in transition because of his athleticism, something i could see JR doing out there.

« Reply #244 on: April 24, 2009, 06:10:48 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Yeps, I said that in the 1st post in this thread.

great. now add that to other things does well, and you can see some people think he could contribute at the NBA level.

« Reply #245 on: April 24, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
EDIT - To clarify? Though not really sure if that's what you're asking?  :P I believe a guard can impact games with great rebounding. Rondo is doing it right now... Giddens has the ability to do the same. Agree/disagree?

I agree - that's why I labelled his rebounding ability as "amazing" and an asset. I'm not sure if he's going to rebound at Rondo's level, but that's a minor detail. Are we done? Everything clarified? Any additional doubt you may have?

« Reply #246 on: April 24, 2009, 06:17:19 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
i'm pointing him out because he scores in transition because of his athleticism, something i could see JR doing out there.

And thousands of other guys.

great. now add that to other things does well, and you can see some people think he could contribute at the NBA level.

I had this conversation before and I won't have it again. To sum it up: the same can be said about thousands of players.

A few posts ago (1293 or so), you said one can't compare Courtney Lee with Rose. However, you seem to have no problem comparing Giddens to Lee. I find this puzzling. IMO, Lee is a much better player than Giddens - the gap between them being larger than the one between Lee and Rose (just in terms of their current level, not upside).

I think Giddens has some potential and can be a NBA role-player in due time, but right now, I don't see a great separation between him and, say, DeMarcus Nelson. If there is, I'd like to know what makes Giddens so much better. Unfortunately, I think I'd have to wait forever.

« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2009, 06:18:27 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I agree - that's why I labelled his rebounding ability as "amazing" and an asset. I'm not sure if he's going to rebound at Rondo's level, but that's a minor detail. Are we done? Everything clarified? Any additional doubt you may have?

Nah, although you can avoid a lot of wheel spinning if you make more of an effort to be clearer next time. The whole "not a PF line" was really a big mistake. Clearly I wasn't the only one that took it as dismissive... Anyway, it's nice to agree, wouldn't you agree? Ha!

« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2009, 06:19:46 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I think Giddens has some potential and can be a NBA role-player in due time, but right now, I don't see a great separation between him and, say, DeMarcus Nelson. If there is, I'd like to know what makes Giddens so much better. Unfortunately, I think I'd have to wait forever.

okay, he's a better rebounder and he is not undersized for his position.

« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2009, 06:20:20 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Nah, although you can avoid a lot of wheel spinning if you make more of an effort to be clearer next time. The whole "not a PF line" was really a big mistake. Clearly I wasn't the only one that took it as dismissive... Anyway, it's nice to agree, wouldn't you agree?

I'm sorry, English isn't my primary language and I'm prone to commit grammar mistakes. That's why I thanked BC for the clarification - as he immediately understood what I meant - and apologized for my clumsy grammar right after using the expression.

I thought that BC clarification was enough, but I guess I was wrong. My apologies once again.

« Reply #250 on: April 24, 2009, 06:21:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

okay, he's a better rebounder and he is not undersized for his position.

On the other hand, he can't shoot nearly as well, he's not as good defensively and his handling is far worse.

Rebounding and size make up for all of this?

« Reply #251 on: April 24, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
I thought that BC clarification was enough, but I guess I was wrong. My apologies once again.

No apologies necessary. And I wasn't concerned with the typo. You probably make fewer typos than I do. I simply mean the entire "Giddens isn't a PF or it would be different" line of thinking, which it seems you have reconsidered. Though I don't blame you, Rondo has been hard to deny.

« Reply #252 on: April 24, 2009, 06:28:17 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
On the other hand, he can't shoot nearly as well, he's not as good defensively and his handling is far worse.

Rebounding and size make up for all of this?

Conversely, he still passes the ball better, which is going to be a problem for Nelson...

« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

No apologies necessary. And I wasn't concerned with the typo. You probably make fewer typos than I do. I simply mean the entire "Giddens isn't a PF or it would be different" line of thinking, which it seems you have reconsidered. Though I don't blame you, Rondo has been hard to deny.

I didn't reconsider anything. I meant exactly what BC later clarified: rebounding for a guard isn't such a big factor as it is for a PF. If this sounded dismissive, it was due to my poor english and I apologize for that.

« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2009, 06:31:41 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
I didn't reconsider anything. I meant exactly what BC later clarified: rebounding for a guard isn't such a big factor as it is for a PF.

But regardless, Giddens has the ability to make a big impact on a game with his rebounding. Right? Why split hairs at this point?