Author Topic: When can we say that Ainge had a terrible offseason?  (Read 64021 times)

Re: When can we say that Ainge had a terrible offseason?
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2009, 03:41:30 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

If you think that the best way to build your team is to pass on serviceable players that can help your team in favor of "impact" players that may or may not become available and may or may not choose your team if they do, then fine.

we passed on serviceable players that could help out team in the off season....that's why so many were upset with our lack of off season moves...

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

It's like when my company decides that our strategy should be to target big customers that will buy a ton of our products. Like we're the only ones in the industry to think of that... If you think that the best way to build your team is to pass on serviceable players that can help your team in favor of "impact" players that may or may not become available and may or may not choose your team if they do, then fine.

what's the point, Bball, where your company stops targeting the big customers?

I'm not sure the analogy really works here...

« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Apparently the off-season was about adding three unplayable players to a title contender. 

One is gone. 

Walker or JR needs to be able to play so Pierce doesn't play 48 minutes. 

« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2009, 04:04:28 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Apparently the off-season was about adding three unplayable players to a title contender. 

One is gone. 

I think Doc really knows how important home court advantage actually is. that's the only reason to play Paul 48 minutes at this point.

personally, if that's what he's thinking, I agree with him.....Our bench depth is a big question mark and that makes home court even more important.

« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

One is gone. 

I think Doc really knows how important home court advantage actually is. that's the only reason to play Paul 48 minutes at this point.

personally, if that's what he's thinking, I agree with him.....Our bench depth is a big question mark and that makes home court even more important.

Yet he says the opposite. 

« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2009, 04:06:30 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 746
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i would say the fact the have no other big wing is a mistake.

« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

One is gone. 

Yet he says the opposite. 

yeah and then you're in a game you should win and look down your bench at the rest times and think "am i really going to risk losing this game..."

it's not a great place to be in....

« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2009, 04:09:52 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
According to who was wing help our biggest need?

i'd say that Pierce having to play 48 minutes whith an injured thumb is a pretty big indicator that wing is a really big need...

« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2009, 04:24:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's like when my company decides that our strategy should be to target big customers that will buy a ton of our products. Like we're the only ones in the industry to think of that... If you think that the best way to build your team is to pass on serviceable players that can help your team in favor of "impact" players that may or may not become available and may or may not choose your team if they do, then fine.

The point is that all the company targets big customers. You can't count on getting all of them, so you need a plan in addition to that.

« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

i'd say that Pierce having to play 48 minutes whith an injured thumb is a pretty big indicator that wing is a really big need...

I'd say that all the minutes BBD played would indicate that a better starting pf is our biggest need.

« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2009, 04:29:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Enough with the injured thumb stuff. It was fairly obvious that whatever aches he may have had from that thumb injury didn't bother him today. I can see your concern about playing minutes but I think you're overplaying the whole thumb injury thing to reinfrce your point and it's really not needed. Your point is well taken and the injury was a one or two game thing and that's that.

« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2009, 04:37:55 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

The point is that all the company targets big customers. You can't count on getting all of them, so you need a plan in addition to that.

but does any additional plan take you out of the running for the big customers....

and there are additional plans....like i said yesterday, if you lose out on the "impact" guys or they don't get released, you target guys like Horry or Pollard...

I'm just not certain that the amount better we get with Moore is enough of a difference, so that is why i think they should have waited...

anyway, i'm hoping for the best at this point...

« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Enough with the injured thumb stuff. It was fairly obvious that whatever aches he may have had from that thumb injury didn't bother him today. I can see your concern about playing minutes but I think you're overplaying the whole thumb injury thing to reinfrce your point and it's really not needed. Your point is well taken and the injury was a one or two game thing and that's that.

i see what you're saying, nick. the only reason i mention it is because Pierce talked about it after the Pacers game...

« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

but does any additional plan take you out of the running for the big customers....

and there are additional plans....like i said yesterday, if you lose out on the "impact" guys or they don't get released, you target guys like Horry or Pollard...

I'm just not certain that the amount better we get with Moore is enough of a difference, so that is why i think they should have waited...

I don't know that the gap from Smith to Moore is greater than the gap from Moore to Pollard or Horry.

If Smith thought that it was very likely that he'd be bought out and he wanted to come to the Celts he would have conveyed that to Ainge. Yet Ainge chose to sign Moore. Either Danny didn't want Smith or it was unlikely that he was coming here.

« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I don't know that the gap from Smith to Moore is greater than the gap from Moore to Pollard or Horry.

If Smith thought that it was very likely that he'd be bought out and he wanted to come to the Celts he would have conveyed that to Ainge. Yet Ainge chose to sign Moore. Either Danny didn't want Smith or it was unlikely that he was coming here.

I'm just giving my opinion and IMO Smith is an impact player in a way that Moore and Pollard are not. Horry could actually have been better than either....

regardless, I agree that there was some question as to whether Smith would get the buyout (and it does seem that that is why Danny pulled the trigger on Moore), but i think it was worth the gamble because of the potential impact Smith could have had...both coming here and in turn not going to CLE...