Author Topic: Patrick O'bryant  (Read 27547 times)

Re: Patrick O'bryant
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2008, 10:15:13 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I couldn't agree with the sentiments in this thread more.  I have been one that wants to see POB get more burn and after last night, I don't even want to see him on the bench.  I thought a long center w/a nice jumper could be a valuable asset.  And I still believe such a center could but first they'd also have to know how to play the position, have an NBA body and a brain.  POB does not have any of this. 

If we can get PJ back or a PJ-esque player, Danny has to cut him.  If this was like a 35-40 win team keeping POB around w/Clifford would probably be a good idea.  Clifford seems to be able to "teach" these guys how to play on the box on both sides of the ball.  He could also take a hint from Perk on how to develop an NBA body.  But this is a 60+ win team & he is not someone I want suited up in any playoff situation.

« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2008, 10:39:16 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
So POB shouldn't get minutes because Oden (outweighing by 100 pounds) backed him down?  Of course Oden did the same to Perkins in the 1st half.  He played a total about 15 minutes this season and somehow the book has been wrote about him.  Seems a bit premature to me but, whatever maybe the C's can sign PJ to save the day.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2008, 11:16:34 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
So POB shouldn't get minutes because Oden (outweighing by 100 pounds) backed him down?  Of course Oden did the same to Perkins in the 1st half.  He played a total about 15 minutes this season and somehow the book has been wrote about him.  Seems a bit premature to me but, whatever maybe the C's can sign PJ to save the day.

No man. Check the tape. It's not that he got backed down. He gave up on the play. It was as if he didn't even want to be there. Again, Oden hadn't made a move. He hadn't gone up for a dunk. He hadn't lost positioning on Oden. He just had no heart, no fight in him. Not playing at the right pace is one thing but having no testicular fortitude at the defensive end is unacceptable. There are guys on this team that are not great individual defenders but they don't quit right in the middle of guarding their man before they make a move simply because they don't want to get embarrassed. Guys like that have no place on this team.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2008, 11:22:11 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
POB only played because BBD was being punished. POB is a possible next year or the following contributor. This is a lot of worry for a project!

« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
I just don't think that Patrick has the fire in the belly. He's probably a better pure player that Powe or Baby, but the latter two have that fire. Even Ray Allen with his quiet demeanor has that burning and competitiveness that is needed to succeed in the NBA. It doesn't show like it does with some players, but it is definitely there. Unfortunate for Patrick, but this can't be taught. He's only here because he's inexpensive and no risk. If a spot is needed on the roster for a PJ Brown type, Patrick is gone.

you are probably right about that.  Watching the team lately, most of me is like, "o.k., great lets get to the playoffs already."  But then there are games like last night that showed me that every player is working on their game. 

Pierce is probably learning to be more consistent when his body is banged up.

Ray is integrating his game better

Perk and Rondo are making the jump so that teams cannot worry about the big three exclusively.

Powe continues to improve his consistency against the bigger players offensively.

then last night we saw interesting developments with Big Baby, Pruitt and POB.  Baby seems to be getting a lot of encouragement to develop within the team and be less of a loose cannon. 

I thought it was awesome to see Pruitt and POB in the game so early!  It sent a message to the bench (and to Portland!) that we will be developing the youth on this team and seeing what they've got!  I love what Doc is doing with the team in that regard, because how are the developmental projects going to see how well or poorly their training is going without a little playing time.  This was an awesome game for these guys to see what they are made of, and why they have to continue to work harder, because this is a championship team and you have to fit it, not the other way around when your talking about the bottom half of the bench!

POB looked like a deer in headlights, and now he has tape to review and motivation.  Baby seemed to get a strong message that his play needs a little reforming, too.  And Pruitt's minutes are really interesting me because they put the rest of the bench in the place they should be for the rest of the year=
1. Pruitt/ Sam
2. house
3. TA
4. Scal/ baby
5. powe

Pruitt plays the role of sam until sam comes in, and that playing time helps everyone see if we can stick with him for point of the future!  Nice job doc.  I like the development!

ps. I was amazed by scal's man2man defense last night, too!  I vote for the sarcastic cheers to end
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2008, 11:42:25 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

No man. Check the tape. It's not that he got backed down. He gave up on the play. It was as if he didn't even want to be there. Again, Oden hadn't made a move. He hadn't gone up for a dunk. He hadn't lost positioning on Oden. He just had no heart, no fight in him. Not playing at the right pace is one thing but having no testicular fortitude at the defensive end is unacceptable. There are guys on this team that are not great individual defenders but they don't quit right in the middle of guarding their man before they make a move simply because they don't want to get embarrassed. Guys like that have no place on this team.

I saw a skinny guy get manhandled by a bigger guy.  I don't see it as such a big deal you do.  His offense is his best attribute and I still believe with the right mix some of starters alongside of him he could provide some baskets around rim for a few minutes a game.  Other than that he's the 13th man.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2008, 12:00:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Every year we pick one player to rag on  -- in years past it has been Tony Allen, Scalabrine.  This year it is POB.

Will he get cut?  If there is a big man out there that the Cs could sign, like PJ Brown, I think Cassell would get cut first (sorry, bought out and turned into a coach).  But barring that, we have POB for a while.  Here's hoping he picks up some skills quickly...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2008, 12:06:38 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
POB only played because BBD was being punished. POB is a possible next year or the following contributor. This is a lot of worry for a project!

Next year or following? By the end of the season he'll be a 23 years old, 3 years veteran. If he doesn't show signs of improvement till then, I really doubt it makes sense to keep him. What are we projecting him to be, exactly? And we'll probably need to make an addition to our bench at some point during this season, so maybe the deadline should be anticipated.  

In that play, he was probably afraid that Oden would dunk on him or something. He didn't know what to do - because he doesn't get leverage on his stance - got mentally tired as the play progressed and nobody showed early help, panicked, and went for the easy and.. well, unusual, solution. Even a guard in that situation would wait for Oden to start the upward motion and then foul him as hard as possible. It was like a boxer turning his back on the opponent at the middle of a fight. Rather uncommon stuff. Up there with the rebound Noah stripped out of his hands at the baseline. To some extent, it's a pity he doesn't play more, one could make a great instructional video if he was more time on the floor.

« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2008, 01:39:08 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Next year or following? By the end of the season he'll be a 23 years old, 3 years veteran. If he doesn't show signs of improvement till then, I really doubt it makes sense to keep him. What are we projecting him to be, exactly? And we'll probably need to make an addition to our bench at some point during this season, so maybe the deadline should be anticipated.  

The following most likely. At best the guy is a nice backup center. He won't likely be a starter, but considering he got almost no run under a bad system for Nellie, and has only played a few minutes for us, he has upside still. Of course he looks like a Rookie, no matter how long he has "officially" been in the league.

« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
if POB can't be trusted now...and i believe doc is testing him...then he will NEVER get into the game when they have meaning come May and June.

so you guys honestly believe that POB will be of value against the likes of dwight howard, zydrunas ilgauskas, rasheed wallace, udonis haslem, samuel dalembert or al horford (to name a few)?

everyone of those guys are playoff eligible (eastern conference)...and each one of those guys are potential matchups for POB - he'd get killed by each one of them.  (and let's not even mention gasol or bynum of the lakers).

yes, odom is a physical specimen...but there was NO excuse for POB not giving a better effort.  he got killed, and anyone who actually believes (birdbrain, for example) that he should be on the floor simply wants him out there to prove his point, not because he belongs there.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
The only thing i can say after last night's performance by POB is there's  a weight room on every corner in the USA today.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 01:54:58 PM by housecall »

« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

The following most likely. At best the guy is a nice backup center. He won't likely be a starter, but considering he got almost no run under a bad system for Nellie, and has only played a few minutes for us, he has upside still. Of course he looks like a Rookie, no matter how long he has "officially" been in the league.

He didn't get run under Nellie and he's getting no run under Doc for the exact same reason. He doesn't look like a rookie; Brook Lopez looks like a rookie.

That's not going to happen. Ainge will not pick up his option, let alone give him an extension to the following year, unless he shows signs of improvement this season. How good do you expect him to be? Francisco Elson good? Hunter? Because guys like those are not that expensive or hard to find.

« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2008, 02:08:38 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
if POB can't be trusted now...and i believe doc is testing him...then he will NEVER get into the game when they have meaning come May and June.

so you guys honestly believe that POB will be of value against the likes of dwight howard, zydrunas ilgauskas, rasheed wallace, udonis haslem, samuel dalembert or al horford (to name a few)?

everyone of those guys are playoff eligible (eastern conference)...and each one of those guys are potential matchups for POB - he'd get killed by each one of them.  (and let's not even mention gasol or bynum of the lakers).

yes, odom is a physical specimen...but there was NO excuse for POB not giving a better effort.  he got killed, and anyone who actually believes (birdbrain, for example) that he should be on the floor simply wants him out there to prove his point, not because he belongs there.

I really couldn't careless whether he plays or not to be honest (13th man) but, none of us really know how good he might  play with some decent talent around him. He definetly shouldn't be playing over Powe or Davis so I say patience in is order.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:07:38 AM by Birdbrain »
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2008, 02:42:45 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
PO'B is a 1.5 Million man for the 13th spot   And you want him to beat the Number 1 draft pick? You want our 13th player to be a starter on other teams?   With our payroll he is still worth the practice team slot. You can't teach height and length. He is what he is and he can/may still improve. The distance from where he is now and where he would be a solid 2nd/3rd string center on this team is not all that far.

« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2008, 04:38:38 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
...and you can't teach EFFORT either.

his lack of it will keep his rear end on the bench.  i don't advocate keeping a guy because he's tall...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."