Author Topic: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer?  (Read 15317 times)

Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, I think he makes it, too.  He's got the three highest yardage totals in Super Bowl history, has won one championship, and has two MVP awards.  Despite the one costly interception last night, he put his team in a position to win, and only lost because his defense choked.  He would have my vote.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 354
Yeah, I think he makes it, too.  He's got the three highest yardage totals in Super Bowl history, has won one championship, and has two MVP awards.  Despite the one costly interception last night, he put his team in a position to win, and only lost because his defense choked.  He would have my vote.

You can say the defense choked, but the defense came up realy big in forcing two field goals in situations that could've easily been touchdowns.  And the biggest play of the game was the inexcusable INT that Warner threw in the end zone.  That's a 14-point swing right there.

But on a different note, how much would Tomlin have been chastised if the final score was 23-20 Chardinals??  As in, kicking a field goal on 4th and a foot and getting 3 points instead of 7.  A 4 point difference in a 3 point loss.  He better not let Santonio Holmes pay for another meal for the rest of his life.

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 11:32:14 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think he makes it, but I don't think he deserves it (yet), but I'd be happy to see him get in.  How's that for some confusion?

He makes it because he has a lot of pinnacle-type achievements (Super Bowls, MVPs, Super Bowl MVP), but he doesn't deserve it because they bookend a long period where he was a significantly below-average QB.  I'd be happy to see him get in because of his ridiculous bags-to-riches story and the fact that he seems like a genuinely nice guy.  Oh and because this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MiFybqLFeY

Always reminds me of this (Start at 1:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDC2iBQTYg

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
If I'm voting, it's a yes without a second thought.

Two MVP awards, an SB MVP, and overall he's been a primary factor on three Super Bowl teams with two different franchises.

How many quarterbacks with that much on their resume haven't gotten in?  I'll need to take a few minutes in the history books with that later today - because I honestly don't know.

Without doubt, Warner has his flaws - namely his habit of holding the ball too long in the pocket, which cost him his job in New York and led to some of his fumbling problems.  But the success levels he has attained in his good years outweigh the negative segments of his career in my book.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
I think Kurt Warner's story is a Hall of Famer story, which I support. He went from bagging groceries to Arena Football, to QB'ing in 3 Super Bowls, throwing over 300 yards in each one. Plus he is extremely charitable. Without his coming out of nowhere angle, and his charitable and high character background, it would be a close vote. With it, he is a shoo-in.

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
3 superbowls, one win, mvp's, two franchises to the superbowl, rags to riches ignored by scouts, and as important, the highest or one of the highest completion percentages ever. I would love to vote for him. Id love to see him come back and put up huge numbers again.

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 12:23:28 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'm a huge Kurt Warner fan, but three or four pretty good years, and three or four incredible games shouldn't make for a Hall of Fame induction.

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
Thought I'd bump this after the events of the past months or so.

Warner's Super Bowl record is now 1-2 but he has put up some pretty remarkable numbers in the sport's biggest stage.

SB 34- 24-45 414 yds 2 TD 0 INT

SB 36- 28-44 365 yds 1 TD 2 INT

SB 43- 31-43 377 yds 3 TD 1 INT

If nothing else he's participated in 3 amazingly entertaining Super Bowls.  I was really surprised to see Arizona get up off the mat after the way the 1st half ended.

I'd say he's in.

If he won two of them, yeah, he would be in.

But he lost two of them

Fran Tarkenton & Jim Kelly were o for 4 and got in.
Yup

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be
If I'm voting, it's a yes without a second thought.

Two MVP awards, an SB MVP, and overall he's been a primary factor on three Super Bowl teams with two different franchises.

How many quarterbacks with that much on their resume haven't gotten in?  I'll need to take a few minutes in the history books with that later today - because I honestly don't know.

Without doubt, Warner has his flaws - namely his habit of holding the ball too long in the pocket, which cost him his job in New York and led to some of his fumbling problems.  But the success levels he has attained in his good years outweigh the negative segments of his career in my book.

-sw

Yeah, this sums up my thoughts as well.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
No.

He was great for 3 years, really bad - average for 6 years and very good for 1.

Only way he gets in is by sentiment.....which may be enough.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 01:44:13 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
He doesnt belong in the HOF.

The stats are compelling, but the simple fact is that he wasnt good enough for a long enough time.  I wouldnt be surprised to see him get in because of the stats, but I simply dont think he belongs.

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Not even close. We put way too many people into the HOF as it is, but even with those loose standards he shouldn't even be in the discussion.

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 02:23:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

The stats are compelling, but the simple fact is that he wasnt good enough for a long enough time.  I wouldnt be surprised to see him get in because of the stats, but I simply dont think he belongs.

As you note, Hall of Fame voters don't always go by the length of dominance.  Case in point, Joe Namath, who all had a handful of good years.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 02:27:24 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

As you note, Hall of Fame voters don't always go by the length of dominance.  Case in point, Joe Namath, who all had a handful of good years.

You omit that he was the football Nostradamus. Being a seer certainly qualifies you for the Hall of Fame.

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 02:54:46 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
On that INT - really someone should have tackled that guy and Pitt would have had to settle for a FG.