Author Topic: So, what does everyone think?  (Read 21130 times)

Re: So, what does everyone think?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
It'll take a while to get used too. It looks good, but one thing that bugs me so far, is how the forum posts are shrunken down in width compared to prior.

I agree... don't really like that aspect.  It seems lime my screen resolution is way out of whack.  I'm a straight change-averse guy though.

AND.... the webfilters at my work completely destroy CelticsBlog's new format.  It doesn't like it at all.  woe is me... 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It'll take a while to get used too. It looks good, but one thing that bugs me so far, is how the forum posts are shrunken down in width compared to prior.

I agree... don't really like that aspect.  It seems lime my screen resolution is way out of whack.  I'm a straight change-averse guy though.

AND.... the webfilters at my work completely destroy CelticsBlog's new format.  It doesn't like it at all.  woe is me... 

Did you try the "narrow" and "wide" buttons right above where it says "welcome to the forums"? The Wide one was a little too wide for my work computer but works fine on my home monitor.  It looks a lot more like we're used to (and it spreads out Roy's stars a bit more)

edit:  oops, guess Jeff mentioned that a few posts ago
Yup

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

Did you try the "narrow" and "wide" buttons right above where it says "welcome to the forums"? The Wide one was a little too wide for my work computer but works fine on my home monitor.  It looks a lot more like we're used to (and it spreads out Roy's stars a bit more)

Ah ha!  Well that makes it a little better... saw that option on the main page but didn't see it over there on the right for forums.  TPs for Redz and Jeff!

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Ah ha!  Well that makes it a little better... saw that option on the main page but didn't see it over there on the right for forums.  TPs for Redz and Jeff!
I love the wide and narrow buttons. It allows me to look at Roy with either four lines of stars or only three. When you hit wide it looks like Roy loses about 5000 posts there for a second.

But overall, Jeff, you did a great job. Really, excellent work. I remember when 4.0 went up there were people having issues for days and days until they got used to it. This is just so user friendly and the upgrades with the standings, live scores, Celtics stats and the roster are great for easy reference. Just a fabulous job by everyone involved.

Thanks to you, Trei, Bob, and anyone else who had input. This is an amazing upgrade.

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 10:48:06 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I don't see the store anymore. I guess that got closed down?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 10:56:43 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

note that there are Narrow and Wide options to chose from in both the forums and the front page

Ahhh didn't see that before I was looking in my profile for some settings.  Thanks a bunch, that's much better!

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 11:59:32 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Now I do because I finally found where the forums are. Took me awhile to locate the 'forums' link, even though it was on the front of the page, silly me. A bit confusing but I'll get use to it in a week or so. Definitely looks a lot prettier than before.  :P
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 12:52:15 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I really like the look of the new site, very professional, an even more one-stop shopping for all things Celtics than before.  I really like that after you view something, and return to the homepage, it will record what is new since you last were there.

One thing I am having trouble reconciling though, is the difference between Fan Posts and Recent Forum topics.  Not in the technical sense, after reading the explanations, I understand the differences in what they are supposed to be for, but since the Fanposts are much more prominent, not only in style and appearance, but their place on the front page, it seems like they may become the prominent place people post and reply to.  You see the title very clearly, the # of comments, etc. while the Recent Forum topics are very non-descript and generic.  Of course, if everyone understands the nuances, the Fanposts may become more like the intended purpose, and not just another Forum Topic.

At least for me personally, I am drawn immediately to the FanTopics, they look cool, subjects seem very interesting.  But unlike a forum post, there are no TPs.  Seems these 2 sections could become redundant unless after the novelty wears off, the Fanposts become more reserved for longer posts/articles.

Great job on the update, everything is super fast and there is loads of info to explore.  Awesome.

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 01:00:38 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
After posting my previous comment, I realize that the Recent Forum topics on the front page don't seem to reflect the topics which have had the most recent posts, but rather just the most recently created topics.  I may be mistaken, but I thought on the old site, on the front page, the topics listed in the recent section were ordered by which one has had the most recent post.  I really liked that feature, that the topics which were receiving the most activity, would be on the front page, not just the most recently posted topic. 

"So what does everyone think?" for example, is not on the homepage, but can only be found by going to the forums link, even if it is the topic that had the most recent post.

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 01:01:27 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
My only complaint is having to log in twice... can't you try to bridge the authentication?

Either way it's impressive how smooth the transition was...despite the forums being are a little "tacked on" i think you all did a great job with the theming, fwiw...

Definitely a bit different but I'm sure we'll be used to it in no time.

What was the motivation to join SBNation?
God bless and good night!

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 01:54:16 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I kinda liked the old one better but this is nice too. Especially if it means that the site won't crash after we repeat this year.

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 03:47:02 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Well ... for "older" guys like me, change is always not quite as attractive ... especially upon just returning for the season, haha! But I'm sure with a little perusing we'll all adapt quickly. The look is GREAT, and things are much easier to access ... the old one just felt a little more like "home away from home", ya know? Anyway ... great big kudos to all the amazing hard work that I'm sure went into this ... I imagine Bob Day was the core of this project, and his genius is clearly evident here! A note to Brick's post below: I discovered if you just bookmark the Forums Login page that you don't have to log in twice, and just use your old info, (if you want to go to the forums only). Someone correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks to all the staff for this beautiful makeover ... GREAT work guys!!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 08:00:56 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
After posting my previous comment, I realize that the Recent Forum topics on the front page don't seem to reflect the topics which have had the most recent posts, but rather just the most recently created topics.  I may be mistaken, but I thought on the old site, on the front page, the topics listed in the recent section were ordered by which one has had the most recent post.  I really liked that feature, that the topics which were receiving the most activity, would be on the front page, not just the most recently posted topic. 

"So what does everyone think?" for example, is not on the homepage, but can only be found by going to the forums link, even if it is the topic that had the most recent post.

Thanks.  We're aware of the issue, and SBN is working on it.  The problem, as Brick alludes to, is that the forums and main site aren't fully integrated (yet).  Celticsblog is the only site on all of SBN that has forums, and they've gone out of their way to creatively work around issues.  The updated front page topics are something that could take a few days to solve, but I have no doubt they'll come up with something.  In the meantime, the Recent Topics board in the Forums screen, as well as the Recent Posts and Updated Topics options in your members menu, all are working great.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 08:08:45 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I like it.  I just need a few days for an "adjustment period" to explore and get a handle on the new features.  Once things settle and everybody has a chance to play around with it, I am sure everyone will see the benefits of the latest upgrade.  Big thanks to all the folks working behind the scenes. 

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 08:15:47 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I actually love it. Everything is simpler and more professional at the same time. The new green colour is much nicer than the previus one and the new features like the stats, roster are awesome.

Great job to everyone who made this look even better!  ;)