Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 184889 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #315 on: July 26, 2010, 06:27:05 AM »

Offline canman1971

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Just finished "The Wild Blue: The Men and Boys Who Flew the B-24s Over Germany" by Stephen Ambrose author of "Band of Brothers" among others.  Really telling tale of the AAF during the later half of WWII focusing on Senator and Presidential candidate George McGovern. Not sure how these guys did what they did.  Highly recommended.  Quick read as well.

« Reply #316 on: July 26, 2010, 06:51:23 AM »

Offline canman1971

• Xavier Tillman
Also, highly recommend Season of Life by Jeffrey Marx  Non-Fiction.  Great read for fathers and sons alike as well as those who want to be inspired such as coaches, teachers, etc... Very quick read as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Season-Life-Football-Journey-Manhood/dp/0743269748

http://www.seasonoflife.com/

« Reply #317 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Lets see, I like the classics: Shakespeare, Hemingway, Treasure Island, Great Expectations, Catcher In The Rye, all that

I also love fantasy epics: Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, Narnia, even Eragon

finishing up the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series soon

looking for a good book to read on CD (preferably from the library) during my commute

any recommends?

also, perhaps unrelated, has anyone read a good book on W. Churchill?  Some of his quotes make me die laughing and I am interested in him in general.

thanks

Update: at my wife's suggestion, I'm going to try Percy Jackson's The Olympians
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:04:00 PM by Jeff »
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #318 on: May 06, 2011, 08:26:06 AM »

Offline Yusuf Mohammed

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
Can anyone recommend to me a book to read.. but i want the link of the book  :)

« Reply #319 on: May 06, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Some good books that I have read recently

http://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Thomas-Stanley/dp/0671015206

Millionaire next door.  Tells you about the new breed of millionaires that are popping up in the country. 

http://www.amazon.com/Money-Class-Learn-Create-American/dp/1400069734/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304684939&sr=1-1

The Money Class by Suze Orman:  Great book with tips on how to plan for your financial future in the current economy.

http://www.amazon.com/Would-Move-Mount-Microsofts-Puzzle/dp/B000JBY0RY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304684984&sr=1-1

How would you move mount fuji: a great book of riddles and puzzles that microsoft asks during their interview process.  Really entertaining.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »

Offline shoyukenn

• Neemias Queta
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but House of Leaves is definitely a great book and totally worth picking up. It isn't your typical beginning middle end book..There are points where you're flipping the book upside down to read....it's great

« Reply #321 on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson - so far I like it

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #322 on: August 09, 2011, 02:01:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I've ripped throuh all 10 books of The Dresden Files, and they've been way more satisfying than song of ice and fire.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
also reading:

- The Essential Calvin & Hobbes
- Hamlet
- Money Magazine

I feel like many sides of my brain are trying to stay balanced ;)

« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Below are the last three books i've recently finished.  If you're a sucker for a good 'military history' story like i am you might find these books interesting...

-The Last Expedition: Stanley's Mad Journey Through the Congo (Daniel Liebowitz)
"In 1887, Henry Stanley set out to rescue Mehemet Emin Pasha, governor of the southern Sudan, from the Islamic jihad. Known as the Emin Pasha Relief Expedition, it took three years; thousands of dollars; and the lives of several hundred, if not several thousand people, to rescue Emin Pasha from Equatoria. The expedition shot, burned, and looted its way across Africa."

-My Friend the Mercenary (James Brabazon)
*"British documentarian Brabazon entered Liberia in 2002 to film rebel forces in that country's civil war, taking along bodyguard Nick du Toit, a mercenary and former soldier in South Africa's apartheid-era army. Nick joins a byzantine conspiracy to overthrow the government of oil-rich Equatorial Guinea and invites Brabazon to film the prospective coup, a proposal that crosses the boundaries of journalistic ethics, though it strongly appeals to Brabazon's lust for adventure and cash."

A Land So Strange: The Epic Journey of Cabeza de Vaca (Andrés Reséndez)
*In 1528, a mission set out from Spain to colonize Florida. But the expedition went horribly wrong: Delayed by a hurricane, knocked off course by a colossal error of navigation, and ultimately doomed by a disastrous decision to separate the men from their ships, the mission quickly became a desperate journey of survival. Of the three hundred men who had embarked on the journey, only four survived—three Spaniards and an African slave. This tiny band endured a horrific march through Florida, a harrowing raft passage across the Louisiana coast, and years of enslavement in the American Southwest."

I would definitely recommend all three, but particularly My Friend the Mercenary.  It reads like a political thriller; tough to put down.  Really gives you a perspective into what some of these rebel movements are comprised of and what role professional soldiers play underneath the radar.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2011, 05:09:57 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I have enjoyed all of the Harlan Coben books I have read!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2011, 05:14:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
I read a couple of the Ender's Game books on vacation early this summer. Wasn't sure what to think of them.  I thought they were kinda juvenile at times, but I kept reading because I wanted to know what happened, so I guess that's a good thing.

Apparently they're very popular.  (the girl at the airport Border's recommended them)
Yup

« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Richard Russo

The Risk Pool - great book about small town America and

Straight Man  - periodically you have to set it down and just laugh.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #328 on: August 09, 2011, 07:57:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I read a couple of the Ender's Game books on vacation early this summer. Wasn't sure what to think of them.  I thought they were kinda juvenile at times, but I kept reading because I wanted to know what happened, so I guess that's a good thing.

Apparently they're very popular.  (the girl at the airport Border's recommended them)
I've read all 8 or so.  Which series did you read, Ender or Bean?  I found the Bean line more interesting, but did read Ender first.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #329 on: September 15, 2011, 11:05:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Recently read "Who Goes There", the short story that all "The Thing" horror movies are based on.  Really good read and can easily be knocked out in an hour or two.  And available for free online!  Here's the whole thing:

http://www.scaryforkids.com/who-goes-there-by-john-w-campbell/