Poll

Who will win the "fake" Pacific division in 2008-09?

Clippers (Dirk, S. Jackson, R. Hamilton, Mo Williams, Oberto, etc.)
7 (30.4%)
Kings (Big Al, Ray Allen, Farmar, Gomes, Hawes, etc.)
0 (0%)
Lakers (Bosh, Durant, Mayo, Darko, Duhon, etc.)
2 (8.7%)
Suns (Roy, Butler, Nene, Perk, Conley, etc.)
1 (4.3%)
Warriors (D. Howard, Nash, Thornton, Kmart, Hughes, etc.)
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Pacific Division  (Read 49468 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Pacific Division
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2008, 01:22:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Everyone will see a lot of pick and roll from these two.

Pick-and-roll is *not* an effective offense to be running if the guy setting the pick can't hit a jumper.  I mean...  that defeats the purpose of the whole offensive system. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Clips:  any concern that you don't have a true post scorer?  Any concerns about the center position?  Who takes your last shot?

Suns:  Will Brandon Roy ever be truly healthy?  As a team of the future, can you compete with Las Vegas and Portland?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
IP:

great wing play, but very shallow up front.  How concerned are you with the lack of offensive post play? If you plan on up-tempo, where does that leave Perkins and Nene? they certainly aren't the fleetest of foot.

I actually disagree about Nene. According the John Hollinger he's one of the quickest bigs in the league.

I'm not sure how I feel about my offensive prospects from the 4/5. My two biggest question marks are the 1 and the 4, both could really surprise people by delivering on promises they made with their play in the past, or both could be mediocre. Mike Conley was the class of the 2007 draft class in terms of point guards, what's he going to come with in 08? Nene was a 15 and 9 guy in 2006/2007, but he never got a fair shake to follow it up the next year. I think my bench and depth are pretty strong, so if I get the 15/9 Nene I am absolutely set. If I get the 9/6 Nene, Im screwed. Im betting on the former, obviously. It would open up room for Perkins do be like Charlie Sheen and thus maximize his own offensive potential.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2008, 01:28:22 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
People in the division if you had to pick a team that wasn't your own to win the division who would it be? If you guys could also rank the teams in our division (in this you can put yourself first), what would the order be?

Pacific:

1 - Warriors (#3)
2 - Clippers (#5)
3 - Suns (#6)
4 - Lakers (#7-10)
5 - Kings (#10-14)
You picked yourself to finish fourth in the division? I was going to have you second (Clippers too many jump shooters, Suns Roy might not be completely healthy this year). Are the kings really that bad? I think the inside outside combo of Big Al and Ray will be deadly, I was thinking maybe deadly enough for an 8 seed. I can honestly see every team in our division competing for the playoffs.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
IP, I like your team. Some questions:

1. Ariza at the 4: if Donte Green is "rail-thin" at 226 pounds, and is more of a 3 than a 4, how do you foresee Ariza being effective at the 4 in a small-ball lineup? I have a hard time envisioning Ariza handling even smaller PFs (like a Maxiell, Powe, or Millsap type).

2. When, not if, Roy loses time to an injury--I love the guy, but he's got health issues; I was shocked to see he weighs nearly 230 lbs, he needs to drop 10-15 for the sake of his knees and ankles--who steps up to be the emotional leader of the team?

3. I like the fact that you have a clearly defined 9-man rotation. Sometimes, less is more. Who becomes the backup PG of the future as Daniels gets on in years? Do you foresee using Roy at the PG slot?

Also, just for the record, I traded picks to IP that were used to draft Daniels and Ariza, due to a scheduling conflict (I was unavailable to draft at those times). IP clearly got great value there, and capitalized on the opportunity to move up in the draft without giving up too much (a 14th rounder, IIRC).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Clips:  any concern that you don't have a true post scorer?

Suns:  Will Brandon Roy ever be truly healthy?

Thats the best I get outta you, Roy? 'will brandon roy ever be truly healthy'? Sheesh.

Quote from: ESPN
Status Alert:
Roy (knee) arrived at the Blazers' practice facility on Wednesday and plans to be ready for training camp, the Portland Tribune reports. (Aug 21)

To answer, yes. He will be truly healthy. Medical sciences are experiencing a renaissance right now, and knee injuries/microfracture surgery is becoming the new "tommy john". I am 1000% sure Brandon Roy is up to the challenge of being the leader I need him to be.

Also Evantime, see about RE: Brandon Roy. Ready for camp, baby.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Thats the best I get outta you, Roy? 'will brandon roy ever be truly healthy'? Sheesh.

You missed the second question.  But yes, today is one of those days where I'm actually working, sadly enough.

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2008, 01:34:12 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Clips:  any concern that you don't have a true post scorer?  Any concerns about the center position?  Who takes your last shot?

Dirk actually showed an ability to score more in the post this year than earlier in his career. But yeah, that's a concern. Last shot goes to Dirk.

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2008, 01:34:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Everyone will see a lot of pick and roll from these two.

Pick-and-roll is *not* an effective offense to be running if the guy setting the pick can't hit a jumper.  I mean...  that defeats the purpose of the whole offensive system. 

Are you confusing the pick and roll with the pick and pop. The pick and roll has the guy setting the screen go to the hoop. The pick and pop has the guy setting the screen go out for a jump shot. The pick and roll is most effective if the guy who is running it can shoot, and the guy who is setting the pick is big enough to seal off the man when he opens like a gate. I could not fundamentally disagree with you more.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2008, 01:35:05 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Where was the first time you named the JVG?

FTR, I've already called Dibs on David Blatt, and Jeff Van Gundy has recently agree to come on as an assistant coach, both to aid in Blatt's departure from Europe, and to help Nene, Brandon Roy and Mike Conley develop into top tier team defenders.

Cuz I think I got the dibs

At the start of the draft process.

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2008, 01:37:01 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Mo's been a solid playmaker the past few years and I feel Brooks is an emerging talent. That said it is a bit of a concern.

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2008, 01:39:23 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
People in the division if you had to pick a team that wasn't your own to win the division who would it be? If you guys could also rank the teams in our division (in this you can put yourself first), what would the order be?

Pacific:

1 - Warriors (#3)
2 - Clippers (#5)
3 - Suns (#6)
4 - Lakers (#7-10)
5 - Kings (#10-14)
You picked yourself to finish fourth in the division? I was going to have you second (Clippers too many jump shooters, Suns Roy might not be completely healthy this year). Are the kings really that bad? I think the inside outside combo of Big Al and Ray will be deadly, I was thinking maybe deadly enough for an 8 seed. I can honestly see every team in our division competing for the playoffs.

The Kings have a strong squad but not a strong enough bench - I really want to see their presser so I can see where I stand with them.

Yeah, I put myself 4th but still challenging for the playoffs because we're young and bound to make a few mistakes. I think that the teams above have a lot of experience, despite some clear holes that need feeling.

Keep in mind that I put this team together for the future - anything that comes now is a bonus.

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I added a poll.  I think the Warriors take the division this year, but the Clips and Suns could push them.  In future years, this one goes to the Lakers, with maybe some competition from the Suns.

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
I think my team is significantly better than the Warriors at the 2-3-4. Yes, I comcede they are better at the 1 and 5. I don't see Dwight being a 30 ppg scorer this year.

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I added a poll.  I think the Warriors take the division this year, but the Clips and Suns could push them.  In future years, this one goes to the Lakers, with maybe some competition from the Suns.

It's like you read my mind. (Or my last post haha).