Author Topic: ESPN SPIN: Given the ref scandal was this 22 year drought a good thing?  (Read 27447 times)

Offline BuckeyeCelt

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think you may be too close to the situation in Pat Land.  From an outsiders perspective (outside of New England and not a Pats fan) I'd have to say they have been given equal treatment.  Then again I don't have local channels talking about it which I am sure you do, and no radio station here would ever talk about the Pats.  

As far as ESPN goes, I will agree that they would be more likely to fear the NBA situation.  It brings into question an entire league (they only really have 4 leagues to report on) where as the Pats are just a team in question...no real threat to the NFL as a whole.  

Personally, I think the emotion of being a fan may cause the pats situation to seem more overblown to some pats fans.  I'd probably be the same way if it were the Buckeyes or Celts!

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The Pats were caught breaking a rule.  They were punished.  It was news.  All sports media reported it to death. 

One official was caught breaking the rules.  He was punished.  All sports media reported it to death. 

There was a story there might be a tape of the Pats recording the Rams walk through.  It was reported to death.

There was a story about the one official pointing fingers at other officials.  It was reported to death.

Now there is a story of 150 phone calls between officials.  It was reported.   

I fail to see where anything was either ignored or underreported? 

I agree but not to the degree to what the Pats endured. You think the Ref scandal got even 1/3 the attention as the “spygate”? You can't be serious.

Listen, I understand ESPN is a partner/customer of this site so this probably isn’t the best place to post my negative opinions but what’s true is true.

Couple of thing.

NFL is bigger then the NBA.

A multiple time Super Bowl winner is bigger then an NBA official.

Both were reported to death. 

Couple of things back.

NBA is bigger then an NFL Team.

An NBA official manipulating games is bigger than a team scouting signals.

One was reported to death. the other swept under the rug because ESPN had an investment to protect.

The fact you're a Giants fan clouds your reality, It didn't happen to you so I don't think you were paying close enough attention.

Evidence.

There is evidence that the Pats broke the rules.

There is evidence of one official breaking the rules.

There is no evidence of the NBA manipulating games. 

When an official breaks a rule the NBA is manipulating games. NBA officials are not a seperate entity or union they are one

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
The Pats were caught breaking a rule.  They were punished.  It was news.  All sports media reported it to death. 

One official was caught breaking the rules.  He was punished.  All sports media reported it to death. 

There was a story there might be a tape of the Pats recording the Rams walk through.  It was reported to death.

There was a story about the one official pointing fingers at other officials.  It was reported to death.

I agree but not to the degree to what the Pats endured. You think the Ref scandal got even 1/3 the attention as the “spygate”? You can't be serious.

Listen, I understand ESPN is a partner/customer of this site so this probably isn’t the best place to post my negative opinions but what’s true is true.

Couple of thing.

Couple of things back.

One was reported to death. the other swept under the rug because ESPN had an investment to protect.

The fact you're a Giants fan clouds your reality, It didn't happen to you so I don't think you were paying close enough attention.

Evidence.

A Super Bowl winning team is alway going to be bigger news then an NBA official. 

Hog wash.

Read this hall of fame article:

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/2008/05/why-spygate-is-the-most-disgraceful-episode-in-recent-sports-media-history

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Couple of thing.

Couple of things back.

Evidence.

When an official breaks a rule the NBA is manipulating games. NBA officials are not a seperate entity or union they are one

And he has been fires and is going to jail.  

Pats lost a 1st round pick.  

NFL is still bigger then the NBA

A multiple time Super Bowl champ is so much bigger and more interesting then a single NBA official that casual fans have no clue who he is.  

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

A Super Bowl winning team is alway going to be bigger news then an NBA official. 

Hog wash.

Read this hall of fame article:

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/2008/05/why-spygate-is-the-most-disgraceful-episode-in-recent-sports-media-history

What is the highest rated sport in this country? 

What is usually the highest rated sporting event in this county every year?

Of course the opinion of the Boston media is that it was overblown by the rest of the country.  Proves nothing. 

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I think you may be too close to the situation in Pat Land.  From an outsiders perspective (outside of New England and not a Pats fan) I'd have to say they have been given equal treatment.  Then again I don't have local channels talking about it which I am sure you do, and no radio station here would ever talk about the Pats. 

As far as ESPN goes, I will agree that they would be more likely to fear the NBA situation.  It brings into question an entire league (they only really have 4 leagues to report on) where as the Pats are just a team in question...no real threat to the NFL as a whole. 

Personally, I think the emotion of being a fan may cause the pats situation to seem more overblown to some pats fans.  I'd probably be the same way if it were the Buckeyes or Celts!

I'm not overestimating the exposure to this crap story. This is a video thats more in jest but look what Pats was will go through because of ESPN. "Cheating" that's crap

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vq7rrQMgUGs

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I think you may be too close to the situation in Pat Land.  From an outsiders perspective (outside of New England and not a Pats fan) I'd have to say they have been given equal treatment.  Then again I don't have local channels talking about it which I am sure you do, and no radio station here would ever talk about the Pats. 

As far as ESPN goes, I will agree that they would be more likely to fear the NBA situation.  It brings into question an entire league (they only really have 4 leagues to report on) where as the Pats are just a team in question...no real threat to the NFL as a whole. 

Personally, I think the emotion of being a fan may cause the pats situation to seem more overblown to some pats fans.  I'd probably be the same way if it were the Buckeyes or Celts!

I'm not overestimating the exposure to this crap story. This is a video thats more in jest but look what Pats was will go through because of ESPN. "Cheating" that's crap

You must have missed where every other sports media (plus quite a few non-sports media) talked about the story to death. 

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

One official was caught breaking the ru

les.  He was punished.  All sports media reported it to death. 

Couple of thing.

Couple of things back.

Evidence.

And he has been fires and is going to jail. 

Pats lost a 1st round pick. 

NFL is still bigger then the NBA

A multiple time Super Bowl champ is so much bigger and more interesting then a single NBA official that casual fans have no clue who he is. 

"And he has been fires and is going to jail."

ESPN all but stops talking about it.

"Pats lost a 1st round pick."

Now comes angle after angle after angle

"Both were reported to death."

Wrong it wasn't even close.

"NFL is still bigger then the NBA"

Again? Going at a NFL team is not the entire NFL. The NBA is bigger than an NFL Team.

"A multiple time Super Bowl champ is so much bigger and more interesting then a single NBA official that casual fans have no clue who he is."

Or ESPN will lose money if they deface one of their products.

ESPN decides what's a bigger deal.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

You must have missed where every other sports media (plus quite a few non-sports media) talked about the story to death. 

I am not saying the ref scandal wasn't covered. I'm talking Specifically  of ESPN

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=donaghy&ES_SUBMIT=&page=espn&source=b_searchpg&language=en-us

7 pages of articles related to Donaghy.  Sounds like ESPN didn't ignore it or sweep it under the rug.  

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=donaghy&ES_SUBMIT=&page=espn&source=b_searchpg&language=en-us

7 pages of articles related to Donaghy.  Sounds like ESPN didn't ignore it or sweep it under the rug. 

OH Please, don't even make me go dig up every tom dick and harry that reports "spygate" angles (the same ones I might add) for 8 months.

It will destroy 7 pages

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

7 pages of articles related to Donaghy.  Sounds like ESPN didn't ignore it or sweep it under the rug. 

OH Please, don't even make me go dig up every tom dick and harry that reports "spygate" angles (the same ones I might add) for 8 months.

It will destroy 7 pages

Also, I'm not saying they didn't report it. I'm saying it didn't get 1/3 the attention of spygate

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

It will destroy 7 pages

Yes, there will be more because:

1) the NFL is bigger then the NBA

2) A team that wins multiple SBs is light years ahead of an NBA official in terms of what people care about

But both were reported to death.  

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

It will destroy 7 pages

Also, I'm not saying they didn't report it. I'm saying it didn't get 1/3 the attention of spygate

And the Super Bowl recieved 4 times the attention that the NBA championship did.

Most watch finals game this year got a 10.7 rating

SB got a 43.2 rating. 

Which sport would you spend more time talking about? 

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
"Of course the opinion of the Boston media is that it was overblown by the rest of the country.  Proves nothing."

So these examples of anti-patriot sentiment for 8 straight months, with listed contradictions and inconsistencies prove nothing to you because it comes out of Boston!?