Author Topic: Jemele Hill's apology  (Read 19299 times)

Re: Jemele Hill is back
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 04:15:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Could she not have apologized in one freakin' paragraph?

I can't believe I read that whole thing. That's 3 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.

More words doesn't make it more sincere. Just say sorry and move on.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 04:40:28 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I actually wrote her last week.  Basically just said I forgave her for the stupid joke, but would never forgive her for her moronic "Kobe better than Jordan" article.  It just gave a lot of people the perception that she would write anything for shock and unfortunately I think it labeled her as a female sportswriter who didn't know what the hell she was talking about.  Seriously I don't think anyone has linked to one of her articles on here without some bringing up, "The chick is a hack.  She's the same idiot who claimed Kobe is better than Jordan".  It's like people taking John Hollinger with a grain of salt, because he claimed Bill Russell was only the 7th best center of all time.  Anytime anyone wants to dispute Hollinger's wonky statistics they just bring up that moronic claim.  That's how I feel about Hill and everything she ever writes.  Bonehead.

I still say she shouldn't have a job at ESPN.  I'd take the nazi comment over this anyday:

Jamimalele Hill:
Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan.

Not more successful.

Hasn't had a bigger economic impact.

Hasn't won more MVPs.

Kobe Bryant did something Michael Jordan never
did -- score 50-plus in four consecutive games.
Hasn't won more titles.

But he's a better player.

Kobe can do everything Michael did, and even a few things Michael couldn't do.

Kobe is just as good a defender. His killer instinct is just as pronounced. He can shoot, finish and explode. And just like Jordan, the more he's ****ed off, the more unstoppable he is.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 05:00:25 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'm not going to stop writing about race. It's just that the next time I do, I'll be carrying an enhanced perspective.

whoopdee****doo! back to her old menacing ways then i see.

She has a dirty, whorish mouth.

i lol'd loudly @ that tp for you.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 11:34:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
wrote this in the comments section

Hill should not get off this easy with a self-serving apology. She's been a crap writer for a long time and honestly she tore apart others for comments which were of the same kind. Just because she feels like "losing some of my credibility" is enough is a complete cop out by ESPN and by Ms Hill herself. The only thing about this whole situation that annoys me more is that I'm just vindicating her by reading her article. That's the only thing that matters to these writers; attention. And every single one of us is partially responsible for Jemele Hill still having a job because we read this article. Also anyone who thinks this is about race is being short sighted. its about respect and responsibility, one of which I personally don't have for Jemele Hill, and the other which she surely dodges in this case.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 12:01:31 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Apparently steven i smith couldn't take up slack for the gangsta rapper / Jethro Bodinesque crowd that these two idiots cater to.  So welcome back, Jamele, to the ESPN baseless, useless, and ignorant commentary club.  I'll have to order another remote so I can keep my mute button running.

The funniest part of that article is Jamele's implying that she has standards. 

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 12:48:50 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Bad apology and poorly written to boot. She's says there's no excuse for what she said and that she won't male excuses and then thats what her whole article is excuses.

hypocrite --- ESPN's Hill appology
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 04:42:53 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I didn't pay much attention to the whole Jemele Hill story when it was being discussed days ago, but after reading her post on ESPN.com I have to say I am 100% unimpressed.

link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/080623

I read it as someone who made a mistake on par with the others who have stepped out of line regarding race, sex & religion. 

I have a very hard time forgiving those who condemn others and then go on to say that she'll continue to do so (at least that's the way I read it).  Those in glass houses shouldn't be allowed to throw any more stones.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

Re: Jemele Hill's apology
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
I think everybody has to give her a pass here.  She did the best she could.  It actually is one of the more articulate things I've read from her.  The fact that like everything else she writes, it said absolutely nothing, shouldn't take anything away from the herculean effort it takes her to construct a basic sentence.

When you're employed strictly because of your demographic, have an IQ of 60, speaks like she has a PHD in ebonics, and are a product of the Detroit public school system, what more do you want? 

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 05:07:35 PM »

Offline T1ME

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
She's an idiot who talks about things she isn't educated enough to talk about.

She won't stop talking about race because that's all she has. I've never met a fan of her work and I'm sure I never will.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
In this day and age everyone has to weigh in with their opinion on this or that - on a blog like this one here, it works great because that's what it's designed for, it's like a massive collection of friends and fans batting around our takes and the pains and joys of following our team - but when it seeps into journalism, when these writers feel free to spout off on any and all topics - especially SPORTS writers - it just devolves into "noise"

There are only a handful of writers talented enough to pull off the blogger as columnist thing - Simmons is, and Hill is not...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »

Offline Dart_Adams

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'm not buying her apology and I'm not a big fan of her writing, either. Some of you are dangerously close to saying some things about Hill that if you read Hill write about another person you'd rip her to shreds for it. Don't be hypocrites. As far as her being educated, she has a degree...she's just not as good a writer or as effective at getting her point across as Stephen A. Smith, Scoop Jackson or Bill Simmons.

One.

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 05:56:07 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
...she's just not as good a writer or as effective at getting her point across as Stephen A. Smith, Scoop Jackson or Bill Simmons.

I'm not so sure that SAS or Scoop are all that great at getting their point across.  They both used to be decent, but have morphed into caricatures of themselves, especially SAS's shouting and Scoop Jackson's "street poet" persona (to quote Jason Whitlock). I'd add Skip Bayless to this group, a guy who is more talented than he chooses to show.

Simmons is in a different category, in that he rarely broaches the "heavy" subjects of the day, and seems to focus more on entertainment.  I don't think Bill is that great a writer, personally, but he tends to be more interesting to me because we root for the same teams (apart from the Pats).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 06:11:02 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
I'm not buying her apology and I'm not a big fan of her writing, either. Some of you are dangerously close to saying some things about Hill that if you read Hill write about another person you'd rip her to shreds for it. Don't be hypocrites. As far as her being educated, she has a degree...she's just not as good a writer or as effective at getting her point across as Stephen A. Smith, Scoop Jackson or Bill Simmons.
One.

If Jamele Hill has a degree, it speaks to the absence of any educational standards of the institution issuing the degree.  She speaks and writes like somebody who has a 6th grade education.

steven i smith is effective at getting his point across??  What points?  He doesn't make any.  steven doesn't say anything.  smith and Hill are about the same where that is concerned.    Jackson isn't the greatest but is infinitely better than either without being abnoxious.  At least Jackson can come up with a coherent thought from time to time.  The next sign of coherence from either steven i smith or Hill will be the first.

Simmons doesn't belong in the discussion at all.  Comparing Simmons to Hill is like comparing Bill Russell to Kevinn Pinkney. 

Agree with Roy's thoughts on Bayless. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:24:26 PM by iowa plowboy »

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 06:17:54 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
After reading a brief word she wrote on her blog regarding her suspension, I can't help but feel that Jemele Hill hasn't learned a thing other than she is a lot better at writing hollow apologies than she ever thought she was.

http://jemelehill.com/#/blog/175/

In the link here is a brief paragragh she wrote before she wrote her apology and after her suspension. I think it tells us all a lot more about what Jemele Hill is all about:

Quote from: jemele hill
"But just a couple of things I'd like to point out before moving on to that Game 6 atrocity(for the Lakers: 1. It's H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E. If you're going to call me that, just wanted to make sure you have the correct spelling. 2. If you're going to call me a racist and you want your point to stick, it kinda levels the argument when you follow it up by calling me the n-word. Just a little bit."

So before issuing her apology she tries to imply that people calling her a hypocrite are stupid because apparently in her mind, none of them know how to spell the word "hypocrite".

And then she goes on to imply that the people who are calling her a racist should just come forward and call her a racial epithet proving that they are the ones that are indeed racist.

That paragragh just does not tell me that anything she wrote in the apology was something she genuinely felt.

And yet, ESPN is still cutting her paychecks. Mind boggling.

I'm not supporting her, but I think you've misinterpreted what she's said.  She's simply calling the people that are misspelling "hypocrite" in their e-mails to her dumb.  That's fair enough.

Then, she mentions that some e-mails calling her a racist are also calling her the n-word, thereby hurting their own cause.  She's not implying that people should call her n-word...she's stating that if you're going to call her racist, calling her N****** negates that argument, and makes the writer a hypocrite as well.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I didn't write to her, I wrote to the ESPN ombudsman, and actually received a nice response from her. I was extremely impressed by that. What I said was identical to what I've posted here on CB.

Apology was fine to me. I think she wanted to make clear (as she and her editor should have done in the first place) she was never talking about Celtics fans at all, she was talking about Pistons fans who cheered for the Celtics. She was over the line, I think she knows it. The fault of her column was really just using a completely inappropriate analogy.

Quote from: jemele hill
"But just a couple of things I'd like to point out before moving on to that Game 6 atrocity(for the Lakers: 1. It's H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E. If you're going to call me that, just wanted to make sure you have the correct spelling. 2. If you're going to call me a racist and you want your point to stick, it kinda levels the argument when you follow it up by calling me the n-word. Just a little bit."

And then she goes on to imply that the people who are calling her a racist should just come forward and call her a racial epithet proving that they are the ones that are indeed racist.

That paragragh just does not tell me that anything she wrote in the apology was something she genuinely felt.

And yet, ESPN is still cutting her paychecks. Mind boggling.

Uh, I think she was saying that a lot of people who were writing to call her racist were also using that word. By "levels the argument" she means it ruins the argument - if you call her that, and call her racist, you're not exactly making a good point. If that was happening over and again, I could see her frustration. The hypocrite comment was just plain snobby.

And now I see Champ already stole my thunder on that, but I'm posting it anyway.

She has a dirty, whorish mouth.

Best quote ever. Got a TP for that one. (LarBrd33 gets one too, you're right, that Kobe article was the worst.)
Go Celtics.