Author Topic: Stuart Scott and the national media  (Read 7006 times)

Re: Stuart Scott and the national media
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 06:01:20 PM »

Offline WaltonsIllegitimateSon

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
In the words of Dennis Green "If they want to crown their butts, crown them"  I just hope the Cs don't let them off the hook.

But the national media already crown the Lakers and Kobe as king from the start of the series.  They don't want to admit that they was wrong.

I think that's very true.  But in case you're interested, on Monday's Pardon the Interruption on ESPN (might still be online), Tony Kornheiser (sp) was chastised by Michael Wilbon for saying the Lakers' bench was better than the Cs.  Tony did as big a retraction as he could, saying, "I was as wrong as I could have been!"

At least we have that.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 06:04:02 PM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
I did give Wilbon and Barry credit in my original post for saying some pro-Celtic comments. Stuart Scott, however, stayed puckered up and ready to kiss Mr. Bryant at first sight.

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 06:53:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
Maybe Stuart Scott wants to become Kobe's "Ahmad Rashad"?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 07:08:25 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Kobe's the best player in the NBA, so this is what happens.  My bottom line is who really cares what the national media is saying?  I know I don't.

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 07:14:23 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I did give Wilbon and Barry credit in my original post for saying some pro-Celtic comments. Stuart Scott, however, stayed puckered up and ready to kiss Mr. Bryant at first sight.

You realize for the most part that the majority of the ESPN mainstays are given which position to defend, but the details are left to them.

Don't blame Stu, he's sold his soul and is a huge tool.  Don't laud John "I don't want to play for Boston" Barry, either.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »

Offline WaltonsIllegitimateSon

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Just to update this ESPN thing, today on Around the Horn two of the three panelists changed their pick for the Finals (Plaschke of the LA Times now likes the Celtics in the series, see also here: http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=19460.msg304019#msg304019)

(Paige grinned and claimed to be "undecided now"), while Colishaw (sp?) has had the Celtics all along.  Jay Marioti of the Chicago Sun Times has always had the Lakers in 7 (strange in my book; you think THESE Lakers can pull out a 7th Game in Boston?)

And on Pardon the Interruption Tony Kornheiser again admitted to having been wrong about how good the Cs are.

So even after the loss, the Cs are getting some love.  Now if they can only get to Stuart Scott...

Good point, vinnie.  For whatever reason, I've always cared what the national media says about my teams, perhaps because I often feel they don't know my teams as well as I do...

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 07:21:16 PM »

Offline ziggen

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I think for game 4 I might as well turn the radio on and the volume off my TV and justlisten to Grady and Max.

**** - I listen to Grady and Max on the Internet and Watch the game with the volume down. The So-Called analysts need to be drop kicked.

Kobe is supposedly the best player in the NBA... but guess what... basketball is a team game and the Celtics are the best team in the NBA.
Hello World

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 07:59:44 PM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Maybe Stuart Scott wants to become Kobe's "Ahmad Rashad"?

i was gonna say that...
actually, more like stephen a. smith...
stephen is flavor flav to kobe"s chuck d....
HYPE MAN....
"hey kobe, wanna use my mouth for a peepee warmer?"
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 08:03:53 PM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
For whatever reason, I've always cared what the national media says about my teams, perhaps because I often feel they don't know my teams as well as I do...

it really makes you wonder what they REALLY know about ANY team.....
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 08:12:58 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
For whatever reason, I've always cared what the national media says about my teams, perhaps because I often feel they don't know my teams as well as I do...

it really makes you wonder what they REALLY know about ANY team.....

what they do know is how to disseminate information on teams in such a way that fans of other teams will care and watch and maybe complain about it on the internet

edit: my point is, if you're depending on ESPN or any other "news" outlet as a source of truth, you're wasting your time.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
i like scott in other aspects of his espn job but completely agree
kobe 1/2 time family thing...guess a lot of people have short memories
(though i do hope he is happy w/ family)
i think kobe is a jerk, cheap player and whiner so that makes the half time foolishness great time to pour a beer!
i will say most of the media appears to be bandwagon and whoever is doing well gets most press/credit
van gundy is horrible, mark jackson is great and wilbaum (?) very good and honest

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
wilbon is kinda old school....
he was hired when you actually had to know something about sports to get a job on espn....
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 09:07:01 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
wilbon is kinda old school....
he was hired when you actually had to know something about sports to get a job on espn....

Although I like Wilbon, his NBA knowledge is not real solid. If he predicts something (in any sport really), bet the other way.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Hate the Kobe love fest too. I look forward to reading about LA losing the championship soon.