Author Topic: Help Local Student Athlete and Celtics Fan Go to the ESPYs  (Read 15520 times)

Re: Help Local Student Athlete and Celtics Fan Go to the ESPYs
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2008, 05:00:23 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
cdif, I'll add that all of what you say may be valid, it's just not tactful to point it out.  Not a necessary cross to bear.  But, much like the Top 10 beers, to each his/her own. 

that's the best counter I've heard today
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 05:04:22 PM »

Offline Sugarpop3640

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3

I personally hope you'll try to not get too discouraged from the couple of negative posts here ... there are many caring parents here at CB who will do our best to help your son get this award, and who support New England Youth athletic programs.

Keep in mind that no matter where you go or what you do in this world, there are always a few rotten apples ... but thankfully, they're the exception and not the rule. There can be very few more worthwhile causes than your kids and family, and I pray you are blessed in this awesome effort.

It's amazing to me that some would be so openly counter-productive to such a worthy cause, and then actually want everyone to know about it! Makes you wonder what the motive is behind it, and shows quite clearly that those few negative comments aren't worth taking to heart.

All the best to you and your son ... he's a lucky kid!

Keep your chin up ... he's worth nothing less! 

You're missing the point - essentially this person is begging us to vote for her child b/c we are a part of CB - yet this person has never posted on CB - does she have the right to do this? Absolutely.  Does it annoy me.  Certainly.  It made me annoyed enough to go to the website where I watched all the videos, and the soccer girl really stood out, so I voted for her.  If you do decide to vote, give each kid a chance, don't just vote because a kid is from around here and they have an entitling parent. Vote because you think he/she deserves it (and her son does some great stuff, no doubt, just like the other girl better)

Im sorry, but I respectfully think you're the one who's missing the point.  I didn't post on this message board to "beg" for votes.  I posted b/c I thought New England sports fans in general might be interested in knowing that a local kid has an opportunity to win a pretty exciting award, and that some may want to help out by casting votes for him.  I don't consider that begging, and I don't feel "entitled" in any way to everyone's support.  Do I want my son to win?  Of course--what parent wouldn't?  Do I hope that most people who read about it will go to the website and vote for him?  Of course, again.  But, I've never felt any "entitlement" that this would be the end result.  In fact, after my initial post, I was thrilled to see that some folks had visited the webste and voted for him.  I wasn't sure if there would be any response at all, but was trying to do anything I could think of to help him out.  He's a great kid, and I'm sorry if that didn't come through to you when you viewed his video. He has worked very hard both on and off the playing field.  He and his teammates spent 8 hours on the High School Athletic Field in the pouring rain on April 1st, videotaping all day, for the "Award short" that's posted on the contest website.  We had no control or input into how the video was edited and put together after the filming.  All in all, we're happy with it and this has been a great experience for him.  You're absolutely right that I've never posted on this board before.  My intention in doing so was to get the support of N.E. sports fans--outside of the circle of friends, neighbors and family who already know about the contest--who might want to help a local student athlete.  I knew that some people may not bother, but I am surprised that some (like yourself) are supporting others.  I didn't expect that, but there's obviously nothing I can do about it.  In my opinion, it's kinda like cheering on the Pistons in tonight game, but you're free to do what you think is right.  I still have faith that others in this forum will throw some votes in his direction, and want to take the opportunity once again to thank those who do. 

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 05:38:56 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
cdif, I'll add that all of what you say may be valid, it's just not tactful, in this case, to point it out.  Not a necessary cross to bear.  But, much like the Top 10 beers, to each his/her own. 

as for having the kid "do it himself", I am a believer in this sort of thing too, but in this case it would come across as extremely self-serving. 

One of my rules when hiring kids, is that I immediately rule out a kid if his parent came in to ask for the job for him/her.  It is important for teens to learn to do things for themselves, and it sounds like this kid has a pretty good grip on that, I just don't think this is a case where he could campaign for himself without it being a detriment.  It's got to be Mom, Dad or friends pulling for him in this case.

Kaboom Redz.  Sounds about right on all accounts.  Still have memories of being in the middle of serving an internship some time ago when my boss opened his e-mail to see a letter from a parent "marketing" her son.  He couldn't get to the delete button fast enough.

That said, it's a different situation here.  Best of luck again to Craig and the family, sugarpop...and here's hoping this experience at CB hasn't turned out too negatively -- we would welcome commentary in our other forums as well from you, Craig or any other Celts fans (or hoopsters) in the family.  The more the merrier!

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

cdif, you know I have supported your posts many times over, but I think your approach is off on this one.  The high road on this issue is a no-brainer if one has kids -- perhaps a bit more difficult to do so if you are sans kids. 

As a parent we've all sold raffle tickets to friends and strangers to help our kids and we've all bought hoards of "crap" from the countless fundraisers thrust upon us.  It's what we do because nothing in the world is more precious than our children.

I will vote again tomorrow and again the next day -- just as I'd buy the raffle ticket.  It's what we do.

I'll admit I have no children, but I do work with them, coach them, all that good stuff.  My problem with this whole thing is the entitlement going on. I've been approached by parents at my work who try to get me to buy stuff their kids are selling.  Do you know how much I hate that?  If a kid comes to me and says can you support whatever it is I'm doing, if I have the cash (or the vote in this case) and I know the kid, know the cause, its a no brainer.  But a parent pushing it is a problem.  Kids these days have everything done for them.  Everything gets handed to them.  The best lesson a kid can learn is how to advocate for himself or herself.  The worst lesson a kid can learn is if I don't do it, Daddy will.  So yes its great to support your kids, every parent should and I'm not faulting the parent for doing that.  Its the approach that bothers me. (and the fact that this is a competition, not a fundraiser, makes me look at all candidates equally, but thats another part of the argument)

Promoting the Celtics is also not a "fundraiser", it's a competition. There's nothing about this approach that is shameless promotion or enablement - just a caring parent asking local group for help. What's the difference if this parent ran an ad in the newspaper, or put a memo out to co-workers? If you see this kind of thing on the "Classifieds" board at the grocery store, do you tear it down because you don't agree with it?

This is a community here, and there are bloggers here always asking for help with things, personal, business, or whatever ... and we do our best to pitch-in, because this IS a community, and a special one, I like to think. I don't question your right to be annoyed about anything, that's what our freedoms allow for, and disagreement is why we're here ... it's what a blog is about. What I question is the need to shoot this parent down, and their obvious pride in their child, or do anything negative in this instance.

Why can't a person come on here and say: "I love my kid, and I'd like your help with something"? People ask for personal help here all the time ... issues at work, family stuff, even potty-training, (just recently). Sorry, but I don't see the need or point of shooting that stuff down. It's just someone reaching out, and if you don't want to help, that's fine ... if it bothers you, that's fine ... but what's the necessity in commenting on it negatively? If you disagree, then move on to something else, but it's just hurtful to tell a parent what they should or shouldn't do for their kids, or that it's wrong or not worthwhile.

Like I said, it's your right to feel the way you do, and your right to express it. I just think in a case like this, that stating anything negative serves no constructive purpose, and is taking the low road. This was an obviously decent, caring parent, asking this community for help, and I personally feel this is some of the best stuff we can contribute, and it should be encouraged, not disparaged. There's far too few parents who take such an active role in their kids' life, and those who do should be praised for it, not shot down.

I'm not trying to grand-stand here ... I concede you your negative views and opinions on this matter, you're as entitled as I am to my supportive ones, I just don't see the point in sharing them in this case, or what good can come of it. Guess that's what makes the world go round ... but if we can't help each other out, what's the point?
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2008, 06:56:50 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
wow, this thread has become interesting, lol!

as i stated b4, the intitial approach kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  it looked like a cut-and-paste spam type thing, especially since it was the first post on the blog.  as i stated, it made me not want to vote, for anyone.

but after reading the follow up posts from craig's mother, i see the intent and feel the love for her child, so i went and voted for him.  as i said initially...best of luck to all the kids, not just craig.

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2008, 07:14:46 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Promoting the Celtics is also not a "fundraiser", it's a competition. There's nothing about this approach that is shameless promotion or enablement - just a caring parent asking local group for help. What's the difference if this parent ran an ad in the newspaper, or put a memo out to co-workers? If you see this kind of thing on the "Classifieds" board at the grocery store, do you tear it down because you don't agree with it?

you haven't addressed my #1 point, that this person is an outsider to the cb community, not someone who regulary (in this case ever) contributes - I find that annoying - not trying to intentionally be negative or anything, just like if you're at work and someone tries to sell you a painting or something, you didn't ask for them to come there... but yeah I understand that this person has a lot of pride in her kid, which is great, and he seems like a good kid... I'm not sure what your point is about promoting the celtics as being a fundraiser, I was just using an example to show that in something like this, which is competitive, you need to be more discerning when using your vote - a vote for child A takes a vote away from child B, and if your only basis is Child A lives within 20 miles of the Cape Cod Melody tent and so do you, its probably not a good basis for a vote - if you think Child A is better because he has done more than child B, go and vote - if anything this thread has made us aware there a bunch of great kids out there who deserve consideration to be recognized for their efforts

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2008, 07:31:25 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

if anything this thread has made us aware there a bunch of great kids out there who deserve consideration to be recognized for their efforts

True that.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 07:38:06 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

you haven't addressed my #1 point, that this person is an outsider to the cb community, not someone who regulary (in this case ever) contributes - I find that annoying - not trying to intentionally be negative or anything, just like if you're at work and someone tries to sell you a painting or something, you didn't ask for them to come there... but yeah I understand that this person has a lot of pride in her kid, which is great, and he seems like a good kid... I'm not sure what your point is about promoting the celtics as being a fundraiser, I was just using an example to show that in something like this, which is competitive, you need to be more discerning when using your vote - a vote for child A takes a vote away from child B, and if your only basis is Child A lives within 20 miles of the Cape Cod Melody tent and so do you, its probably not a good basis for a vote - if you think Child A is better because he has done more than child B, go and vote - if anything this thread has made us aware there a bunch of great kids out there who deserve consideration to be recognized for their efforts

I see your points, and while I still feel the necessity to push the "half-full" side of this thing, (for the sake of this parent's feelings), I'll TP the good discussion and clarification on your side. I just feel that even someone who's new here should be able to feel just as part of this community, just as welcome, if you will, as someone who's been here a while.

That was what really impressed me about this place when I first came ... how welcomed I was, and how important my contributions seemed to be, and how considerate the other bloggers were, while I really knew no one. To me, someone who has never been here before, should be given the same consideration as everyone else, and at least be given a hand-up, so to speak, especially a for good cause like this.

I'd hate to think someone would come here in good faith, ask for help, and then go away feeling anything less than welcomed and greeted with kindness and good-faith. Really, new people should be given even a bit more latitude, I feel, as they aren't afforded that same "comfort" factor that we who've been here a while use to temper our attitudes/statements with.

I've only been here since Christmas myself, but from day one I was greeted warmly and given the same respect that most others were. That in itself speaks volumes about what the priorities here are, for the most part, and what care the Staff has gone through to make this such a positive place to be. Shouldn't we all be given the same respect and consideration, no matter how long or brief our stay here has been?

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 07:40:16 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I see your points, and while I still feel the necessity to push the "half-full" side of this thing, (for the sake of this parent's feelings), I'll TP the good discussion and clarification on your side. I just feel that even someone who's new here should be able to feel just as part of this community, just as welcome, if you will, as someone who's been here a while.

That was what really impressed me about this place when I first came ... how welcomed I was, and how important my contributions seemed to be, and how considerate the other bloggers were, while I really knew no one. To me, someone who has never been here before, should be given the same consideration as everyone else, and at least be given a hand-up, so to speak, especially a for good cause like this.

I'd hate to think someone would come here in good faith, ask for help, and then go away feeling anything less than welcomed and greeted with kindness and good-faith. Really, new people should be given even a bit more latitude, I feel, as they aren't afforded that same "comfort" factor that we who've been here a while use to temper our attitudes/statements with.

I've only been here since Christmas myself, but from day one I was greeted warmly and given the same respect that most others were. That in itself speaks volumes about what the priorities here are, for the most part, and what care the Staff has gone through to make this such a positive place to be. Shouldn't we all be given the same respect and consideration, no matter how long or brief our stay here has been?

TP

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 07:47:12 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

This has been an extremely interesting discussion between two of my favorite posters.  It seems to be coming down to a territorial stance vs. discretion is the better part of valor.  It also seems (w/ zero judgment passed) coming down to respecting kids and actually having them.

Discretion and turning the other cheek (IMHO) should win out out almost every time, especially in this case.

I compliment you both on your ability to keep this discussion at the highest level.  It is so easy for all of us to take a "shot" at another (guilty as charged) because we are all for the most part anonymous. 

45 minutes to tip off.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2008, 08:01:27 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
In all this back and forth I've come to the realization I have to read like 200 pages of legal history for Wednesday, not cool, not cool at all

But yeah, I know what you mean Bahku about the warmness (generally) on this board, its good to be accepted, I hope this person sticks around and contributes (as another poster encouraged), b/c that's key - if people come on for one shot deals, you have a craigslist type of community, which isn't a community at all

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 08:14:19 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
In all this back and forth I've come to the realization I have to read like 200 pages of legal history for Wednesday, not cool, not cool at all

But yeah, I know what you mean Bahku about the warmness (generally) on this board, its good to be accepted, I hope this person sticks around and contributes (as another poster encouraged), b/c that's key - if people come on for one shot deals, you have a craigslist type of community, which isn't a community at all

I hear ya, and figured that's where you were coming from, and I guess it was comparing the situation to my own first experience here that made me react the way I did. I know you're not a bad person, I just felt this was a genuinely positive thing, and wanted this great parent to continue to feel good about coming here and asking for help with this awesome cause.

Besides, we're on the same team here, and I agree with you on 99% of everything else on this blog, lol! (Believe it or not, most of the best friendships I've made here, began as arguments). Anyway ... no hard feelings on my end, by any means, and I truly enjoy good discussion like this ... I find I always learn something from such objective discourse ... usually about myself.

Almost game time ... Go Celts!!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Almost game time ... Go Celts!!

And that is something we can agree on!

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2008, 08:45:41 PM »

Offline Sugarpop3640

• Jaden Springer

I'm sorry to hear you have reading to do when I'm sure you'd prefer to focus all your attention on the game.  That's what commercial breaks are for, I guess.  I'm preparing to get off the computer for a while.  This whole thing has been rather upsetting to me, and I need to focus on something else for a while-like the game and dinner!  Before I do, I want to apologize if you feel I've misused the forum in some way.  I looked at it a public means of making people in this area aware that they could help out a local student athlete--nothing more.  I would always support the local kid in something like this, unless I had firsthand knowledge that he or she was undeserving--in which case I'd do nothing at all.  Obviously, we don't agree on this point.  I'm not accustomed to posting on message boards, and to be honest, don't think I have a thick enough skin to make it a regular occurence.  Despite what you may think, I never felt "entitled" to support, but I did hope I would get some.  I'm very appreciative of the support I have gotten and thank all who have voted for my son.  The game just started, so I'm done for tonight.  We really are Celtics fans (and fans of the Red Sox and Pats, also--although I have to admit I've ever heard of the Lobster Tennis team you referenced earlier), so we're all watching.  Not a great start, but there's plenty of gme left....   

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2008, 07:08:59 AM »

Offline Sugarpop3640

• Jaden Springer
If anyone here is interested, a link was posted yesterday on the National Pop Warner website about Craig's participation in this event.  You may go to www.popwarner.com and Read More.