Author Topic: More Patriots cheating / rule-breaking allegations  (Read 9006 times)

Re: More Patriots cheating / rule-breaking allegations
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If Ross Tucker saw this why doesn't he give names and dates? If this is found to not be true what happens to Tucker? When the Pats get in trouble it costs them $750,000 and a draft pick. So what happens to him?

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Blah blah blah.  I wish baseball had all these rules so that the Yankees of the 90's would've had to go through this too.  Everyone going after the team on the top.

By the way, how come it didn't get more play that the Yankees had the most players on the Mitchell Report.  Have we forgotten how good they were/how jealous we all have to be because of it?  Imagine if the Pats went 19-0, EVERYONE in the NFL would be accusing them of something.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 03:31:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
If Secretariat were a sprinter he would have been tested till the cows came home

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not knowing exactly what is prominently ignored or broken all the time around the league in regards to non on the field rules, I have to think if this can be verified by other former Patriots players then, maybe a suspension could come of it.

The commissioner gave Belichick a very short leash regarding further rule breaking allegations and I don't think he will take this too lightly. But again I think further player verification of the matter needs to happen first.

All that said, I really think the Pats are getting shafted here. They taped signals, which they could have taped anyway so long as it was in a league approved structure. They just didn't shoot them in a three sided, roofed box.

That warrants $750,000 worth of fines and a lost first round draft pick.

San Francisco tampers with another team's player. The league has internal 49er emails detailing the extent to which the tampering occured. It only cost them a 5th rounder and a swap of third round picks with Chicago.

Tampering with other teams players is against the rules.

So, which punishment truly fits the crime?

The Patriots because there was a memo sent out just before the Pats got caught, telling the teams not to do just what the Pats were caught doing. Or the 49ers because there was a memo sent out just before they got caught, telling the teams not to do just what the 49ers were caught doing.

So which punishment truly fits the crime?

Many coaches and others have admitted that both infractions are or were things that are or were happening all the time. How much does either really benefit the team that does it?

Well, if the Pats are or were successful in their "cheating" it might help the offense and defense some. Players still have to play and there are times when everybody in the stadium knows what the next play is going to be, but the play still needs to be executed properly to be successful.

If on the other hand the 49ers were successful, they would have gotten a 6-1 240 pound tackling machine of a linebacker that very well could have been instrumental in turning an okay Niner defense into a really good one. For quite a long time.

I truly believe that tampering is the more egregious infraction. Yet Goodell elects to give the 49ers a slap on the wrist and decides to make an example out of the best coach and franchise in the league.

If off field rules are going to be broken by front office and coaching personel, then all the crimes should be punishable by the same penalty.

But, that's just my very humble opinion.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6083150

Can't say how much I don't believe Goodell on this one. Poor little commissioner was screwed by Belichek and he didn't do anything or say anything about it for 4 years.  Oh poor Commissioner Goodell. He only fined him half a million dollars and took away a first rounder.

Goodell is becoming David Stern, but dumber, more cartoonish, and trying way harder to compensate for something

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 10:15:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6083150

Can't say how much I don't believe Goodell on this one. Poor little commissioner was screwed by Belichek and he didn't do anything or say anything about it for 4 years.  Oh poor Commissioner Goodell. He only fined him half a million dollars and took away a first rounder.

Goodell is becoming David Stern, but dumber, more cartoonish, and trying way harder to compensate for something

even though they're both compensated about the same (both about $10M/yr from what I've heard/read).
:)

more seriously, Goodell seems to be off the rails lately, starting with his thing with Ben R. then with the new BB stuff.  Is he upset that people are focused on the players in the SB, not on him?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 10:28:43 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I dont mind this. Of course but people will make a big deal but it really isnt.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 10:41:29 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4601
Does this thread have the record for longest time between posts?

Before eja117 posted today, nick lasted posted in 2008  :o
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:15:39 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class