Author Topic: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread  (Read 41337 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2024, 10:52:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm confused.  Is it possible that Jaylen Brown does contribute to winning?

Nah.

;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2024, 11:57:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400

No he doesn’t and white isn’t an elite defender.

« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2024, 12:51:13 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1525

JB should have been All-NBA.  How many guys who weren't all-nba averaged 24ppg in the playoffs, shooting 54% fg, playing great def, and have a 40 point game in the conf finals?  The list is probably pretty short.  JB wasn't happy about the way the C's played in game 1.   He probably wasn't happy about not making All NBA.  But I like the slightly p---ed off Jaylen.  He is motivated, and there is a little bit of MJ-ish anger that helps him play with an edge.  I hope it rubs off on JT.  JT could do with playing a little bit angry as well.  I hope JB is in his ear with more big deuce pep talks.  Closing the Pacers out is going to be hard, and the finals (if they get there will be harder).  We need both JT / JB to play there best to win a title.

The lakers and suns getting two guys on all-nba is just insane.  For all the points they score neither KD, nor Booker are ever a threat in the playoffs unless they are playing w/ the warriors.  Lebron, KD, Davis, Booker, if they are so great why are they all bounced in the 1st round?

JB right behind Kareem in the list of most 40 point games in a conference finals
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-40-point-conference-finals-games
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 12:58:32 AM by blink »

« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2024, 12:54:19 AM »

Offline 0003323344

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28

No he doesn’t and white isn’t an elite defender.

In both games so far JB most certainly has contributed to winning. While Tatum played ok he still walks the ball up the court when the Celtics have a big lead and it results in the other team coming back.
JB has been attacking the rim relentlessly really the whole playoffs so far.

« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2024, 06:15:54 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
he had a great game yesterday, no question, but his on/off differential per 100 possessionsin the playoffs even with last night is -13.7
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2024, 06:46:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
he had a great game yesterday, no question, but his on/off differential per 100 possessionsin the playoffs even with last night is -13.7

Maybe that stat isn't as important as you think.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2024, 07:37:11 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Somebody posted that Luke was actually fine in game 1 because he ended up +2.

I will say that Tatum's +20 in game 1 looked legit, as did Jaylen's +18 in ths game. That stat can be worth looking at, but there are a lot of other factors that go into whether or not a player was effective

« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2024, 10:00:03 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

he was -17.7 before last night. So his great game certainly moved the needle.

« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2024, 10:31:46 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
I see Brown as really having come of age this season, and it is especially apparent in this playoff run.  He is a force on both ends of the floor, albeit rough around the edges at time.  But he signed his big contract and got better.  He may well be the best #2 in the game, certainly the best #2 left in the playoffs.

But what I think is really important is his "I love my brothers" stuff.  You first saw it with Porzingis, he embraced Porzingis and I believe that helped Porzingis integrate with the team.  You hear him say things about his teammates and then what the teammates say back.  Tatum is the leader and best player on this team.  But he is not a "love you bro" kind of guy.  That is Brown.  Not exactly KG but a little bit of that in him.  I don't think Tatum is any less loyal or whatever to his teammates, but Brown is more outward about it.  It is impacting team chemistry in a positive way.

As to the individual Net ON/OFF +/- stat, I have doubted that stat for a while.  I did an analysis of Porzingis in his injury thread which shows the impact of who is ON when a player is OFF.  Or who else may be OFF when the player is ON.  I am not sure what is going on with Brown.  But if you look at playoff 2 man stats, Brown is negative when on the court with Pritchard and Kornet, kind of neutral when on the court with Hauser, but very good the rest of the time.

I don't know how anyone can watch the recent playoff games and not think that Brown has been a major factor in winning.  I can't figure out why the Net ON/OFF +/- stats don't reflect this, there must be something wonky going on.  But I am all in on Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2024, 11:43:21 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
For all the talk about Tatum, Horford and others, Jaylen has been absolutely balling this postseason. Averaging around 25 PPG on 54% shooting(!), and shooting 37% from 3 which might also be a bit skewed because he had one game against Miami where he was like 1-8. He's been a beast and has been consistent too. The mid-range has been lethal.

Honestly, forget Tatum vs. Ant. Is Ant better than Jaylen? Jaylen also has a lethal mid-range game and plays elite defense too. I'm definitely half-joking but again, JB has been awesome this postseason. Even defensively he's stepped up along with Jrue Holiday and locked down other stars.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2024, 06:28:11 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583

Eyes. More valuable than numbers.

« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2024, 06:42:11 PM »

Online hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 449
I appreciate JB and he is the main reason we are 2-0 in this series with big help from a few others but he made the big turnover happen, he made the ridiculous shot and last night he dominated.

Thank you JB and I forgive you for all the missed free throws this year which was my biggest gripe with him!

« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2024, 07:23:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I've come around on Jaylen this season. I've been impressed with his growth and maturity. He seems far more comfortable in his role and far less in need of proving himself. He's also seemingly focused more on doing the things he's good at and eschewing the things he isn't so great at, playing to his strengths and in control.

Jaylen has routinely come up big when the team has needed him to, yet also willingly stepped aside when others are feasting. For the first time, I can truly say I'm a Jaylen fan. I'll gladly come out of hibernation to give the man the flowers he deserves.

« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2024, 08:37:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Eyes. More valuable than numbers.
that is how you get into trouble

« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2024, 09:01:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I honestly can't think of a single thing outside of his FT% that I'd criticize JB for this year.  Offense, defense, being a good teammate, staying focused...  He's everything we could want.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes