Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 659469 times)

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2023, 07:34:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2438
Adrian Wojnarowski: Atlanta Hawks F/C Onyeka Okongwu has agreed on a four-year, $62 million contract extension, Sam Goldfeder of @excelbasketball tells ESPN

Meanwhile, no extensions for James Wiseman or Killian Hayes.

$15mil per. That could be starter money or top bench player money.

I was wondering if this is a signal that Okongwu is seen as the future starting center with Capela to be put out on the trade block in the near future. But at that money, it could either way.

« Reply #196 on: October 23, 2023, 07:34:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
Giannis extension: 3 years, $186 million
and the Lillard trade pays off

Let’s not act like Gianni’s can’t demand a trade a year from now if this team flames out cause his team got a guy that demanded a trade a year after signing an extension right?

« Reply #197 on: October 23, 2023, 07:35:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
JRE waived by the Rockets.  22yr old big who IMO is much better then Kornet.  I'd love to see him added.
I have no idea who JRE is. Who is JRE?

« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2023, 07:37:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Giannis extension: 3 years, $186 million
and the Lillard trade pays off

Let’s not act like Gianni’s can’t demand a trade a year from now if this team flames out cause his team got a guy that demanded a trade a year after signing an extension right?

They are sayin that Lillard has been terrible in preseason. I saw something like 9ppg and 27% shooting from the field. Some raised concerns about his age, recovery from injury and how well he'll do outside of Portland.

I wouldn't read anything into it yet but apperantly Lillard has been really poor so far.

« Reply #199 on: October 23, 2023, 07:41:31 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1270

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42
Here’s the 13 players that have signed rookie extensions:

1. Anthony Edwards- 5/$206M (All-NBA language)
3. LaMelo Ball- 5/$206M (All-NBA language)
9. Deni Avdija- 4/$55M
11. Devin Vassell- 5/$135M (+$11M in unlikely bonuses)
12. Tyrese Haliburton- 5/$206M (All-NBA language)
14. Aaron Nesmith- 3/$33M
15. Cole Anthony- 3/$39M)
16. Isaiah Stewart- 4/$60M(+$4M in unlikely bonuses)
18. Josh Green 3/$41M
22. Zeke Nnaji- 4/$32M
26. Payton Pritchard- 4/$30M
28. Jaden McDaniels- 4/$131M (+$5M unlikely bonuses)
30. Desmond Bane- 5/$197M (+$8.6M in unlikely bonuses)

I thought I read the Jaden McDaniels part wrong. That is one huge contract.

« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2023, 07:43:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Wait, they paid Jaden McDaniels how much!?

$135 million over 5 years. For a defensive role player?

Whew ... that is a lot of money.

Why wouldn't you wait until next season if that is the price-tag. If the price is that high, why not wait and make sure he is worth it. Make sure he has enough offensive upside. Make sure he is making enough progress to be more than a 12ppg scorer that needs to be spoonfed because he cannot create his own shot. Make sure he can repeat his good three point shooting of last season. Make sure he can increase his volume of three point shots to be more of a threat.

I think Jaden is a very underrated player. He is already an elite defensive player, and just may be on his way to being the best wing defensive player in the NBA. He’s that good on defense.

I also think he has untapped offensive upside (he was drafted for his offense potential actually.) He had a stretch last season with some of the big guns out scoring 20 plus points a game on efficient shooting. Another Mikal Bridges maybe. His teammate Edwards routinely says MCDaniels has the most potential on the team, which is a crazy thing to say, but he would know behind the scenes in practice.

Yeah, his offensive upside is interesting. That deal could work out. It is a shocking deal but I am reluctant to call it a bad deal because there is legit upside there.

I would have preferred to wait the season and see how he develops before making that decision though. At that money, I'm waiting the year. I only give that early extension if I am getting a bargain or if it a sure-thing. This is neither a bargain or a sure thing. There is a lot of risk here. I'd wait the year and see how he develops.

« Reply #201 on: October 23, 2023, 07:43:40 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 151
Adrian Wojnarowski: Atlanta Hawks F/C Onyeka Okongwu has agreed on a four-year, $62 million contract extension, Sam Goldfeder of @excelbasketball tells ESPN

I was wondering if this is a signal that Okongwu is seen as the future starting center with Capela to be put out on the trade block in the near future. But at that money, it could either way.

He's 1.3 / 3.3 from deep for the preseason (38.5%). If he can get himself to 35%+ for the season at age 23 and up to 38% the year after that, he can play power forward as well. He's athletic enough to defend the position. I think he could start at either position at some point soon.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2023, 07:45:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42

Devin Vassell and Jaden McDaniels got the same money. I read 5 years or Jaden, not 4, in two different places. So I think that 4 years should be 5. So same money.

Who would you rather have? Devin Vassell or Jaden McDaniels?

I would rather have Jaden myself.

« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2023, 07:47:07 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 151
I'm really excited about Okongwu -- I think he's going to be terrific and that's an amazing value deal. He's a terrific defender with both shot-blocking and ball-stealing potential. He's a huge rebounder. He can score inside efficiently. He's developing a three-point shot. His advanced metrics are great.

He's young but going to be a player. That's good value for him.

EDIT -- the shooting stuff I think has progressed nicely for him over time. FT % was 63% -> 73% -> 78%. He made 4 of 13 threes. Not a big enough sample size to matter but enough to show he's building towards that. I bet he makes 0.8 or so a game this year.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2023, 07:48:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

He's 1.3 / 3.3 from deep for the preseason (38.5%). If he can get himself to 35%+ for the season at age 23 and up to 38% the year after that, he can play power forward as well. He's athletic enough to defend the position. I think he could start at either position at some point soon.

Wow, that would be cool. Big boost to their D if he could play PF. Capela and him together would be nice if they can make it work.

I hear Minnesota are trying to get Gobert to shoot 3s as well this season. He has been practicing them all summer. Shot one for France in a game recently. They are going to try and use him as a floor spacer now and then. Rather than exclusively as a rim roller.

« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2023, 07:52:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I'm really excited about Okongwu -- I think he's going to be terrific and that's an amazing value deal. He's a terrific defender with both shot-blocking and ball-stealing potential. He's a huge rebounder. He can score inside efficiently. He's developing a three-point shot. His advanced metrics are great.

He's young but going to be a player. That's good value for him.

His advanced metrics and per minute production make me nervous. He seems to do very well when he in his bench role playing against other bench bigs but his numbers dropped off when put in a starter's role. FG%, scoring per minute, rebounding per minute. The team didn't do as well with him as a starter. So I expect his advanced stats dropped off too.

I not sure whether he is a bench player who excels in his bench role or whether he is a young player with big time potential. His lack of success as a starter last year makes me nervous about his future.

« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2023, 07:56:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42

1. Anthony Edwards- 5/$206M (All-NBA language)
3. LaMelo Ball- 5/$206M (All-NBA language)
9. Deni Avdija- 4/$55M
12. Tyrese Haliburton- 5/$206M (All-NBA language)
14. Aaron Nesmith- 3/$33M
18. Josh Green 3/$41M
22. Zeke Nnaji- 4/$32M
26. Payton Pritchard- 4/$30M
30. Desmond Bane- 5/$197M (+$8.6M in unlikely bonuses)

That Cole Anthony contract is an absolute steal. He is one of the top bench scorers in the league. I would view him more like the 4th best player on a title team. Not quite a top 3 guy because he is not a prototypical fit on most teams (small scoring guard) so probably best used as a bench scorer rather than a starter. But I wonder about guys like Jason Terry. He could be that type of big time bench scorer who is as important as a really valuable starter.

I would have expected him to be getting $25-30mil per year. Say a 3yr contract like he signed which would have been close to $100mil. Especially if you add a premium to it for potential. He should have easily cleared $100mil. 

« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2023, 08:05:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42

9. Deni Avdija- 4/$55M
18. Josh Green 3/$41M

And the Okongwu deal at 4yrs $62mil.

Comparative value, who do you like the most?

I thought Cole Anthony was an absolute steal who should have gotten 200-250% of what he got. After him, the business I liked the most was Josh Green. Nice solid two guard. Can start or be a bench piece.

Then Okongwu who is solid value even if he does improve and could be very valuable if he does improve. The contract probably has more upside than Josh Green's if Okongwu works out (at either C or PF).

Then I Stewart. Deni the least. Stewart looks a really good bench player who got a bit overpaid because he plays on a bad team, got big minutes and put up bigger stats than he would be able to do on a good team. Deni, I do not buy as starter material. I am not even sure he is an above average bench player. I went into my reasons for that in a previous page.

« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2023, 08:29:34 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
JRE waived by the Rockets.  22yr old big who IMO is much better then Kornet.  I'd love to see him added.
I have no idea who JRE is. Who is JRE?
Jeremiah Robinson-Evans I suspect.  I don’t know much about his game.

I am not sure if the Celtics can claim him or if they need to wait for him to clear and then try to sign him, assuming they are interested.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 08:43:42 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2023, 09:03:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Pritchard is the 3rd string PG and he got paid like a 2.5 string PG.  A lot of these other deals are for the 2nd string player.  All seem to be in line

Pritchard is the 7th man and he got paid like one, if not a bit below.

Meanwhile Nesmith will probably be an actual 3rd string
Nesmith started 60 games for the Pacers last year though.  I'd surprised if he didn't end up with more mpg than PP. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip