Author Topic: The Greatest Trade Never Realized  (Read 3848 times)

Re: The Greatest Trade Never Realized
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2023, 10:48:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Jrue holiday for nerlens noel and saric.
you mean Holiday for Noel,  Saric, Hernangomez, and Fox. You know since the pick they got from the Pelicans was traded for Saric.

I think you’re the first person I have ever seen include a player that never played for the team as part of a trade return (and obviously I have a lot of posts :). That’s fascinating.
Just correcting your factual discrepancy.  The other pick the Sixers got in the Holiday/Noel trade was the 10th pick the following season, which Orlando used to draft Elfrid Payton.  The Sixers traded back to 12 to take Saric and in that trade ended up with a 2nd round pick they used on Hernangomez and they got their own future 1st round pick back which ended up being the 5th pick in the 2017 draft (they had originally traded that pick in the Bynum trade).  As a result of a later trade, the Sixers had swap rights with the Kings, so that 5th pick went to Sacramento and they took Fox.  The Sixers got the 3rd pick in the swap, which they traded with a future Kings 1st to move up to 1 to take Fultz, Obviously the Celtics moved back from 1 to end up with Tatum (and Langford with the other pick).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2023, 10:59:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Jrue holiday for nerlens noel and saric.
you mean Holiday for Noel,  Saric, Hernangomez, and Fox. You know since the pick they got from the Pelicans was traded for Saric.

I think you’re the first person I have ever seen include a player that never played for the team as part of a trade return (and obviously I have a lot of posts :). That’s fascinating.
Just correcting your factual discrepancy.  The other pick the Sixers got in the Holiday/Noel trade was the 10th pick the following season, which Orlando used to draft Elfrid Payton.  The Sixers traded back to 12 to take Saric and in that trade ended up with a 2nd round pick they used on Hernangomez and they got their own future 1st round pick back which ended up being the 5th pick in the 2017 draft (they had originally traded that pick in the Bynum trade).  As a result of a later trade, the Sixers had swap rights with the Kings, so that 5th pick went to Sacramento and they took Fox.  The Sixers got the 3rd pick in the swap, which they traded with a future Kings 1st to move up to 1 to take Fultz, Obviously the Celtics moved back from 1 to end up with Tatum (and Langford with the other pick).

I give you a tp for writing this all out, and appreciate it. It almost becomes hard to track after a certain point. But I’m sure you agree you can’t just arbitrarily stop at fox because he is a better player. We could say it was holiday for noel, saric, hernagomez and fultz as maybe the most accurate final version of this. Even that is 3 dukes and a nickle for a dollar.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 01:41:27 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2023, 01:25:26 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 748
I'd pick the trade for the second pick of the 1986 draft by dealing Gerald Henderson to the Seattle SuperSonics back in 1984. That was not realized.

The end of our dominance. I will never forget when I heard the Bias news. I was officiating games in a high school summer league team camp.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce