Author Topic: I think we got better.  (Read 3180 times)

Re: I think we got better.
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2023, 01:25:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Just thinking how EVEN  much better we d got with a new head coach  ;D

True

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2023, 01:28:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I would say the teams upside is higher, but the floor may have gotten lower. Basically a bigger risk profile. If it all works and they stay healthy they could be awesome, but if they don't gel or injuries hit it could get somewhat ugly.

That is a great way of putting it. That is how I feel as well. I wasn't comfortable with better or worse. More upside, lower floor, higher risk profile. Much better description.

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2023, 02:15:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
Indubitably. Indubitably…
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2023, 02:24:10 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • GOT IT!!!
Since when has challenging the basketball gods worked in the C's favor? They don't call it the hospital celtics for nothing. This team as currently constructed is relying way too much on health and development. They best treat the regular season carefully if this is what they rolling with come April.

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2023, 03:42:08 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 303
I definitely think the team improved. Porzingis is an offensive upgrade and moves Al to the bench where he unfortunately belongs at thus stage in his career. I do think Marcus is an addition by subtraction.

One thing that has seemingly gone under the radar is the possibility (?) of penalizing flopping. Two of the players with the worst flopping reputations in the league were Smart and Williams. Is it a coincidence that there both gone now?

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2023, 03:46:00 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
I definitely think the team improved. Porzingis is an offensive upgrade and moves Al to the bench where he unfortunately belongs at thus stage in his career. I do think Marcus is an addition by subtraction.

One thing that has seemingly gone under the radar is the possibility (?) of penalizing flopping. Two of the players with the worst flopping reputations in the league were Smart and Williams. Is it a coincidence that there both gone now?
The team they have now isn't going to be able to stop anyone. Did you watch Brogdon try to guard people in the playoffs?  He couldn't. Also a team that too often was soft on defense just lost its two most aggressive defenders. As of today I think they're worse. But hopefully Brad can do something about that. 

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2023, 03:54:10 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770

The team they have now isn't going to be able to stop anyone. Did you watch Brogdon try to guard people in the playoffs?  He couldn't. Also a team that too often was soft on defense just lost its two most aggressive defenders. As of today I think they're worse. But hopefully Brad can do something about that.

Marcus Smart wasn't stopping anyone last year. We replaced him with a 7'3" guy who, by the stats, is one of the best rim protectors and post defenders in the NBA.

Saying stuff doesn't make it so. Our top 5 will be stifling defensively. We agree that Brogdon's defense wasn't great in the playoffs, but he's our sixth man. I think we can get by with having 1 of our top 7 be a below average defender. He does still have size and does alright on switches.

Look at the other top teams in the league. They all have at least one guy in their starting 5 that is as bad or worse defensively than Brogdon.

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2023, 04:11:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The only things we are not better at is our bench and fragility of certain players.   

Please sign some vet minimums and get rid of some of the bums on the roster.

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2023, 04:26:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
We haven't played one game, including summer league and preseason, and the sky is falling.

LOL

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2023, 04:40:47 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
We got significantly better.
Or at the very least we got taller.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 05:29:40 AM by Kernewek »
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2023, 05:18:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think the starting lineup is offensively stronger.

I think the team took a major hit in depth and flexibility.   

I think it really depends on what vet mins they can still sign.

This.

Major offensive upgrade to the starting lineup and team as a whole, as well as providing more overall rim protection and post defense.

However, our depth quality took a major hit, and we certainly lost some flexibility in lineups.

We need a fourth big, preferably a swing type that can play the 3/4 position and be more plug in play with our other bigs and wings to provide some flexibility.

What major hit did our depth take?  Many are saying this but I am not seeing it.  See my post above or just look at who played what minutes last season.  There is no major hit.  The only "hit" I see is replacing the 569 minutes that Griffin played.  That is not "major", in fact it is very minor.  And we are still likely to add 2-3 players.

Depth *quality* is what I was referring to, which I consider to be our non-starters.

Losing both GWill and Musky - who are very good bench level players - certainly hurts our big depth quality when replacing them with end of the bench guys, especially given their differing skill sets and lack of shooting.
Whilst I agree that Williams and Muscala are both solid bench players, I feel like they gave us the illusion of depth more than anything. Muscala was wasted by Joe (DNPing him even in the regular season), and Grant seemed to lose the trust of Joe with how poorly he played post-ASB. Those two + Smart = ~75MPG. Porzingis will likely step in for 33MPG or so, as he did in Washington.

That leaves us with 42MPG to divide up between the others. Insert Brissett & Kornet when needed.

White (30) / Pritchard (15) / Brogdon (3)
Brown (24) / Brogdon (24)
Tatum (20) / Brown (12) / Hauser (16)
Horford (28) / Tatum (12) / Porzingis (8 )
Porzingis (25) / Williams 3 (23)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)