Author Topic: Report: Lillard requests trade  (Read 33417 times)

Re: Report: Lillard requests trade
« Reply #420 on: July 08, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
According to Woj

For teams calling about trading for Damian Lillard, the message from the Portland Trail Blazers has been unambiguous: Bring your best offer and make your team our preferred trade destination. General manager Joe Cronin doesn't plan to operate a transfer portal to the Miami Heat and dutifully deliver history's greatest Blazer to his targeted team.

As Cronin explores the broader landscape, Lillard's agent, Aaron Goodwin, has been calling prospective trade partners and warning against trading for his client, team executives told ESPN. Goodwin is telling organizations outside of Miami that trading for Lillard is trading for an unhappy player. As interference goes, this is a time-honored agent maneuver to depress offers and clear a path to a predetermined destination.

General managers who talked with ESPN suggested that pressure won't impact how they'll proceed. They would have Lillard under contract for four years, and believe his default mechanism would remain playing hard and well.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/37964651/inside-trail-blazers-damian-lillard-trade-talks

Also on his contract

In 2019, Lillard pursued the Blazers on a supermax extension and landed a four-year, $176 million deal -- including a $60 million annual average when he's 35 and 36 years old. That's making it harder for the Blazers to trade Lillard, not easier. Some teams see that extension as a back-end blight on their cap.

And on Herro

Portland doesn't want guard Tyler Herro and the four years and $120 million owed on his extension, but there are teams that have told ESPN they would surrender a good first-round pick to the Blazers -- maybe something more -- to become a facilitator by taking on Herro in a three-way deal.

That would give POR 3 firsts, two recent firsts in Jaquez & Jovic and swaps. Plus cap flexability.

Who I’ll be honest I don’t even know what your point is on this? Just insisting Miami is offering a good deal? Portland clearly is not interested in their package at the moment or the deal would be done.

The point in those extracts:

(1) Woj reporting that GMs are not intimidated by Lillard's threats and are proceeding normally.

(2) Miami / Portland are able to get another 1st for Herro in a trade if POR do not want him.

If those two things were really true, then a deal would already be done. It’s been over a week and there’s still nothing close to being done, because (a) GMs actually are worried about trading for an unhappy player, even if it’s just got reputations harms and not a genuine concern that he won’t play, and (b) a first for Herro - which is likely to be middling at best - is still not enough to get this deal done.

I think you also need to keep in mind who is leaking this information or feeding it to reporters. The “good first round pick for Herro” stuff seems like it’s coming from Miami/Dame to put pressure on Portland.

I also see people saying that Jovic and Jaquez are essentially two first round picks themselves, as they were just recently selected. But that’s just not how it works. Two middling prospects taken late in the draft are not the same as first round picks, as they limit alot of flexibility. And who knows if Portland even likes them.

« Reply #421 on: July 08, 2023, 12:43:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Blazers Edge (SB Nation) has an article ranking the potential top 10 teams / trade packages for Dame Lillard. Interesting read.

They rank Miami dead last at 10.

(1) Spurs = Keldon Johnson and a bunch of firsts.
(2) Jazz = Taylor Hendricks, K George, a bunch of firsts
(3) Pelicans = Zion
(4) Raptors = S Barnes
(5) Nets = bunch of 1sts from PHO and others
(6) Celtics = Jaylen
(7) NYK = Mitch Robinson, Quickley, 1sts
[8] Philly = T Harris & Maxey
(9) LAC = bench dudes, two 1sts, swaps
(10) MIA = Herro, two young guys, two firsts, C Martin

Now, not all these packages will end up being available but they are a good list of ideas and interesting thought process for ranking them.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2023/7/8/23784139/portland-trail-blazers-damian-lillard-trade-spurs-jazz-nets-heat-pelicans-76ers-knicks-celtics-pop

I am going to re-rank them in the order I would rate them as:

(1) NOP = Zion
(2) BOS = Jaylen
(3) TOR = S Barnes
(4) BKN = lots of picks
(5) SAS = Keldon Johnson and picks
(6) UTA = Taylor Hendricks & picks

(7) MIA = Herro, C Martin, two young ones, 2 picks
[8] NY = Mitch Robinson, Quickley, picks
(9) PHI = T Harris, T Maxey

(10) LAC = bench dudes, picks.

The Clippers one I don't get at all. It is similar picks to MIA but worse players. MIA giving up better young prospects in Jovic and Jaquez and better proven players in Herro & C Martin.

The Philly offer is limited by the lack of draft picks. So it is more about Maxey and Maxey plays the same position as Scoot. So how much can you get in a trade for Maxey? Depending on the answer to that this package can go above or behind MIA. I am not sure. I lean more towards MIA though. T Harris a FA next summer.

I am not that keen on the NY package with Mitch Robinson and Quickley. I am just not that high on either guy. Fine role players but not sold they have much potential. NY may be able to better MIA with an extra pick. Similar package to MIA. Buyers choice. I would rather have Herro & C Martin myself.

Then you get to packages which are clearly better than what Miami is offering.

It does not appear that Boston is willing to trade Jaylen for Lillard. So that is probably out. It is unclear whether NOP is willing to trade Zion for Lillard or whether it is even worthwhile for them to do so. Not wild about their squad post-trade. I'd view this one as a low likelihood event.

The S Barnes trade idea is likely a pipe dream. They wouldn't give up Barnes for Durant 5 months ago. I doubt they are going to do it for Lillard.

The BKN offer is good. They can out-bid MIA with all those future firsts and those future PHO picks look very valuable. I would be highly interested in that. There is a feeling that BKN after being burned by their all-in moves for superstars Durant, Harden and Kyrie are reluctant to do so again. That they would rather a "good-guys" "long term team building" type process instead. So they may or may not get involved in pursuing Lillard.

San Antonio has been mentioned quite a bit. I doubt that they are willing to do any deal for Lillard that compromises their ability to build a long lasting title contender. I expect they will prefer to add quality young players around Wemby and build a team that can compete for 10-15yrs rather than a team that will need to rebuild in 4-5yrs time. I do not view them as a likely Lillard bidder. However, if they do, I like their trade package.

Utah is the last team here. Taylor Hendricks is a better young prospect than any of the MIA, NY, LAC teams can offer. Maxey is probably better than him. At least more proven. But Philly can not offer the draft picks Utah can and Taylor Hendicks plays a different position than POR's young guards so he has a long term future there and Maxey does not. So I like Utah's trade package over PHI and MIA (Herro = same reason, guard).

There is some uncertainty whether Utah will truly be willing to part with such a large number of assets. Whether they are on the same timeline as Lillard. Whether they can be good enough as a win-now team. It will be interesting whether they go in for Lillard (hard) or pull out due to uncertainty of their own team situation.

So a lot of those better trade packages seem unlikely to come to fruition but if they do, yes they are better than what MIA is offering.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 01:18:59 PM by Who »

« Reply #422 on: July 08, 2023, 01:29:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Blazers Edge (SB Nation) has an article ranking the potential top 10 teams / trade packages for Dame Lillard. Interesting read.

(2) Jazz = Taylor Hendricks, K George, a bunch of firsts

Utah is the last team here. Taylor Hendricks is a better young prospect than any of the MIA, NY, LAC teams can offer. Maxey is probably better than him. At least more proven. But Philly can not offer the draft picks Utah can and Taylor Hendicks plays a different position than POR's young guards so he has a long term future there and Maxey does not. So I like Utah's trade package over PHI and MIA (Herro = same reason, guard).

There is some uncertainty whether Utah will truly be willing to part with such a large number of assets. Whether they are on the same timeline as Lillard. Whether they can be good enough as a win-now team. It will be interesting whether they go in for Lillard (hard) or pull out due to uncertainty of their own team situation.

I am wondering what the Jazz would look like with Lillard on board. The out-going trade package was Taylor Hendricks, K George, Agbaji and picks for Lillard. Something like that.

G: D Lillard, J Clarkson
G: C Sexton,
F: Markkanen, T Horton Tucker, B Sensabaugh
F: J Collins, Toscano Anderson,
C: W Kessler, Olynyk

They would probably need some cap makeweights as well to make the trade work so they might lose more rotation players in the deal. Maybe John Collins. Or Sexton. Sexton would be good.

I do not like the backcourt around Dame. Sexton and J Clarkson are both dodgy fits as a backcourt partner. Clarkson an iffy shooter and poor defender.

Frontcourt is good but not great.

Markkanen is the only real star talent both in the frontcourt and on the roster aside from Lillard. Good role players. Is Markkanen ready to be the #2 on a title contender? Who is the #3? Clarkson? Not that talented enough.

I don't see that as a contender. In the West, I am not even sure they can make it out of the first round. They are a bit like the Sacramento Kings to me who I only rate as 7th or 8th in terms of talent in the West.

Yeah, I see it as much more likely that Ainge is trying to be the 3rd team in the deal to pickup something than to be the destination for Lillard. Those rumours with Herro and Ainge being a long time admirer of Herro look interesting and a better option for Utah moving forward.

They are just not close enough to title contention to go after Lillard.

« Reply #423 on: July 08, 2023, 01:41:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
According to Woj

For teams calling about trading for Damian Lillard, the message from the Portland Trail Blazers has been unambiguous: Bring your best offer and make your team our preferred trade destination. General manager Joe Cronin doesn't plan to operate a transfer portal to the Miami Heat and dutifully deliver history's greatest Blazer to his targeted team.

As Cronin explores the broader landscape, Lillard's agent, Aaron Goodwin, has been calling prospective trade partners and warning against trading for his client, team executives told ESPN. Goodwin is telling organizations outside of Miami that trading for Lillard is trading for an unhappy player. As interference goes, this is a time-honored agent maneuver to depress offers and clear a path to a predetermined destination.

General managers who talked with ESPN suggested that pressure won't impact how they'll proceed. They would have Lillard under contract for four years, and believe his default mechanism would remain playing hard and well.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/37964651/inside-trail-blazers-damian-lillard-trade-talks

Also on his contract

In 2019, Lillard pursued the Blazers on a supermax extension and landed a four-year, $176 million deal -- including a $60 million annual average when he's 35 and 36 years old. That's making it harder for the Blazers to trade Lillard, not easier. Some teams see that extension as a back-end blight on their cap.

And on Herro

Portland doesn't want guard Tyler Herro and the four years and $120 million owed on his extension, but there are teams that have told ESPN they would surrender a good first-round pick to the Blazers -- maybe something more -- to become a facilitator by taking on Herro in a three-way deal.

That would give POR 3 firsts, two recent firsts in Jaquez & Jovic and swaps. Plus cap flexability.

Who I’ll be honest I don’t even know what your point is on this? Just insisting Miami is offering a good deal? Portland clearly is not interested in their package at the moment or the deal would be done.

(1) Woj reporting that GMs are not intimidated by Lillard's threats and are proceeding normally.

(2) Miami / Portland are able to get another 1st for Herro in a trade if POR do not want him.

If those two things were really true, then a deal would already be done. It’s been over a week and there’s still nothing close to being done, because (a) GMs actually are worried about trading for an unhappy player, even if it’s just got reputations harms and not a genuine concern that he won’t play, and (b) a first for Herro - which is likely to be middling at best - is still not enough to get this deal done.

I think you also need to keep in mind who is leaking this information or feeding it to reporters. The “good first round pick for Herro” stuff seems like it’s coming from Miami/Dame to put pressure on Portland.

I also see people saying that Jovic and Jaquez are essentially two first round picks themselves, as they were just recently selected. But that’s just not how it works. Two middling prospects taken late in the draft are not the same as first round picks, as they limit alot of flexibility. And who knows if Portland even likes them.

Spot on with all of this. Also I believe  jaquez is a 4 year college prospect. He is not going to viewed as fondly by a team entering a big rebuild as a team that is a playoff team and is looking for a potential cheap rotation player. I also don’t think he is going to be that good.

« Reply #424 on: July 08, 2023, 01:56:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Tyrese Maxey averaged 24.8 points, 5.4 assists and 3.8 rebounds in 13 games without James Harden in 2022-23.

« Reply #425 on: July 08, 2023, 02:31:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10081982-haynes-zion-williamson-could-be-available-for-trade-for-the-right-package

The Zion stuff is really interesting. If I’m Portland, Zion would be a really intriguing piece to trade Dame for. He’s locked up long term, and he’s still young enough to be part of the long-term while also allowing you to stay relevant now. A Scoot, Zion, Sharpe, Simons core is pretty good.

If you’re NOLA, though, does that get you over the top?

« Reply #426 on: July 08, 2023, 04:26:52 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10081982-haynes-zion-williamson-could-be-available-for-trade-for-the-right-package

The Zion stuff is really interesting. If I’m Portland, Zion would be a really intriguing piece to trade Dame for. He’s locked up long term, and he’s still young enough to be part of the long-term while also allowing you to stay relevant now. A Scoot, Zion, Sharpe, Simons core is pretty good.

If you’re NOLA, though, does that get you over the top?

I just know that Dame gets to reunite with CJ in New Orleans

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #427 on: July 08, 2023, 04:43:49 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
According to Woj

Also on his contract

And on Herro

Correct intuition, incorrect conclusion - the information coming from Woj's reporting  is somewhat plainly not coming from Lillard or his agent. More likely coming from Miami, who are the second-least likely to want any negative press associated with Lillard (beyond the player and agent), but 'the good first round pick for Herro' discussion in public could be from any front office, really.

Agree with the rest of your post, though.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #428 on: July 08, 2023, 07:25:04 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 434
If Dame does get traded, it be a 3 team trade..Miami don’t have the assets to do it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #429 on: July 08, 2023, 08:18:01 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1264

« Reply #430 on: July 08, 2023, 11:45:53 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 302
Part of me is wondering if Lillard and his agent are playing dirty for a selfish reason that isn't being talked about. They are obviously lowering his trade value by only wanting to go to "Miami". But is Lillard trying to lower his value, so the team that does trade for him, doesn't trade away too much. For instance, Boston may not have to include Jaylen. However, if Lillard didn't narrow his destination to Miami, then maybe Jaylen might have to be included.

« Reply #431 on: July 09, 2023, 01:03:58 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
Chris Mannix thinks Dame would be fine with Boston or Philly…

https://nbaanalysis.net/2023/07/08/nba-trade-rumors-damian-lillard-philadelphia-76ers-boston-celtics-fine-news/?expand_article=1

If we can keep Tatum/White/Porzingis/Williams, I’m good with going for it. I don’t think Brad is in on him, but I would make the play myself.

But I’m also very concerned about giving a player of Brown’s caliber $295M. That should be reserved for guys like Jokic, Giannis, Embiid, Tatum, Luka…. Not secondary stars or guys in their mid-30’s. That’s the type of contract that may not be movable for assets should this team not make the leap to champion in the next couple seasons.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #432 on: July 09, 2023, 03:41:49 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I wasn't keen on the Pelicans roster post-trade if they traded Zion for Lillard. I wonder if it would work better in an expanded deal to add in CJ McCollum and Jerami Grant from POR's end in order to better balance the Pelicans roster post trade.

G: Lillard, Alvarado
G: H Jones, T Murphy, J Hawkins
F: Ingram, D Daniels
F: J Grant, L Nance Jr
C: Valanciunas, C Zeller

vs

G: Lillard, Alvarado
G: CJ McCollum, T Murphy, J Hawkins
F: Ingram, D Daniels
F: H Jones, L Nance Jr
C: Valanciunas, C Zeller

Bringing in Jerami Grant gives them a replacement starting forward for Zion. Helps patch up their defense a bit. I like the three big forwards alongside the little guard in Lillard and slow big man in Jonas. That size helps cover up the defensive weaknesses of their PG and C. Gives the team better two-way balance.

I am still not sure it is a contender but I do like the expanded deal better than the smaller one.

« Reply #433 on: July 09, 2023, 04:43:09 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Part of me is wondering if Lillard and his agent are playing dirty for a selfish reason that isn't being talked about. They are obviously lowering his trade value by only wanting to go to "Miami". But is Lillard trying to lower his value, so the team that does trade for him, doesn't trade away too much. For instance, Boston may not have to include Jaylen. However, if Lillard didn't narrow his destination to Miami, then maybe Jaylen might have to be included.

You'd need to trade Brown, because you have to send enough salary back. It makes no sense (if even allowed) to let Porzingis go and we definitely don't want to lose Tatum. So it has to be Brown that has to go.
If you're going to make an offer around Brogdon then you have to add 1 or 2 other key players just to match salaries.

« Reply #434 on: July 09, 2023, 04:33:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

You'd need to trade Brown, because you have to send enough salary back. It makes no sense (if even allowed) to let Porzingis go and we definitely don't want to lose Tatum. So it has to be Brown that has to go.
If you're going to make an offer around Brogdon then you have to add 1 or 2 other key players just to match salaries.
Lillard makes 45 million, it isn't a crazy amount.  Brogdon and White basically gets you there.

I'd probably do a Brown for Lillard trade, but I'd rather do something like this

Lillard, Nurkic

for

White, Brogdon, Williams, Pritchard, Kornet, 24 1st, Mem 1st, 26 1st

Have to get some veterans for the bench, but I'm all on board with this team

Starters - Lillard, Brown, Tatum, Porzingis, Nurkic
Rotation - Davison, Hauser, Brissett, Horford
Deep Bench - Walsh, Champagnie, Griffin, Banton

Team needs 2 quality vets for the rotation, but BY FAR the best starting 5 in the sport. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip