Author Topic: I’m a fan of Brad Stevens.  (Read 2199 times)

Re: I’m a fan of Brad Stevens.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2023, 10:49:03 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
His FAs choices haven't been the best and he hasn't had a good draft. He has also had a questionable coaching hire twice now. As far as trades and media relations BS is pretty good. He is a solid guy to follow up DA. Time will tell if he was the right choice by Wyc.

You consider Ime's hiring very questionable?  Is that because he was a rookie coach, or because of the workplace affair with a subordinate?

In fairness to Brad, I've liked a lot of his signings in free agency.  Schroder, Kanter/Freedom, Hauser, Gallo.  Not all of them have worked out, but I liked the thought process.  But, the dumpster diving last year stunk.

Here's his track record:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/stevebr99x.html
It was the rookie coach and then how things turned out confirmed it wasn't the best hire. I'm pretty sure he will flame out in Houston.

I think he was a very good coach, and I think that's evidenced by our second half record and the Finals run.  Even in hindsight, I'd make the hire. 

Ime obviously made a poor decision, but to our knowledge, there were no warning signs there. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2023, 02:09:12 PM »

Online aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
His FAs choices haven't been the best and he hasn't had a good draft. He has also had a questionable coaching hire twice now. As far as trades and media relations BS is pretty good. He is a solid guy to follow up DA. Time will tell if he was the right choice by Wyc.

You consider Ime's hiring very questionable?  Is that because he was a rookie coach, or because of the workplace affair with a subordinate?

In fairness to Brad, I've liked a lot of his signings in free agency.  Schroder, Kanter/Freedom, Hauser, Gallo.  Not all of them have worked out, but I liked the thought process.  But, the dumpster diving last year stunk.

Here's his track record:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/stevebr99x.html
It was the rookie coach and then how things turned out confirmed it wasn't the best hire. I'm pretty sure he will flame out in Houston.
I thought he jumped the gun when he went to Houston.  Had he waited, he may have ended up in Philly or Milwaukee.  I'm happy to have him out west.  Every team in the conference will be trying to be competitive and I'm holding out hope the Warriors pick will be useful.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2023, 02:10:46 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Imagine we sign Westbrook for vet minimum? That would be the next great move by Brad.  8)

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2023, 03:31:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
Imagine we sign Westbrook for vet minimum? That would be the next great move by Brad.  8)

Brad doesn’t seem interested in Guards who can’t shoot. Think that’s part of the reason Smart is no longer here.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2023, 05:00:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
Meh

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2023, 05:26:12 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
I believe those familiar with me here know that I have always been a huge fan of Danny Ainge. Overall, I thought he did a great job as the Celtics GM during his time. When he left and joined the Jazz, I had serious concerns about the future of the franchise. Particularly, after the Celtics hired Brad Stevens as his replacement. To be honest, I felt the ownership was being frugal. I didn't think the ownership group would pay him without receiving anything in return, so they decided to move him into the GM role. That seemed to be the plan.

However, I must admit that I was proven wrong. Brad Stevens knows what he's doing, or he has competent people, like Mike Zarren, supporting him. I wasn't a fan of the Derek White trade and thought giving up the 2028 first-round pick swap (#1 protected) was a major mistake. Perhaps Danny Ainge conditioned me to value draft picks more than necessary. Maybe Brad Stevens doesn't prioritize them as much? Either way, I now have a better perspective on how to assess first-round draft picks. That's the fundamental difference between their approaches: Danny Ainge valued first-round picks more, while Brad Stevens seems to have a different stance. He may have swung too far in declaring his indifference toward first-round picks compared to Ainge.

Now, let me come to my main point: Brad Stevens has done an outstanding job. He has shown great courage when it mattered, particularly in the Marcus Smart trade. Additionally, as mentioned by another commenter, Radiohead (TP), I believe he will offer Jaylen Brown a contract less than the max but still more than any other team can offer him. If Brown becomes discontented, Stevens will likely trade him for a valuable return.

In conclusion, I am a strong supporter of Brad Stevens, and I believe the organization is heading in the right direction. I have confidence that with Stevens leading the way, we will win a championship in the near future.
Totally agree and great post. (TP)

I was terrified when Brad took over to be honest. He also proved me wrong. I thin KP really balances out our team! I am also feeling greedy and hope for one more good move.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2023, 07:58:08 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
  I really wanted Brad out as coach. He drove me insane. Loved Ime.  Joe is mindboggling to me. But even though I credit Danny for most of teams success I think Brad has fine great. I’m of the beliefHorford/ kemba was Danny’s but the Derrick White deal and I eoukd have considered Marcus for nothing a good move for the team. KP and picks was grand slam to me. Unbelievable.

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2023, 08:02:16 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106

Brad doesn’t seem interested in Guards who can’t shoot. Think that’s part of the reason Smart is no longer here.

I agree. I think other than his too strong if a voice ( my opinion) I have to think that Smart was out regardless of a Brogdon deal. They don’t want someone in the perimeter that the d can leave and actually hope he shoots. We must have take t relative to the job to be successful. The style they are religiously following cavy have a non shooter out there.