Author Topic: 2023 Post Draft Rosters  (Read 3405 times)

2023 Post Draft Rosters
« on: June 26, 2023, 12:31:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Are there any teams that have significant roster changes via trades or the draft that you are excited to see next season?

Or perhaps the inverse, teams who failed to make much headway or made themselves worse during the draft and have a lot of work ahead of them in the summer.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 12:41:10 AM by Who »

Re: 2023 Post Draft New Look Rosters
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 12:40:58 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I am pretty unimpressed with Dallas.

They had a solid draft with Derek Lively and OM Prosper but neither guy is ready to be of much help in the near future. They also made a trade for Richaun Holmes who is a good bench player but a below average starter.

Just lookin at their roster, I do not see much hope for improvement next season after a disappointing 2023 season.

G - Kyrie, Ntilinka
G - T Hardaway Jr, Josh Green
F - Doncic, OM Prosper
F - Bullock, Kleber
C - R Holmes, D Lively II, J McGee

Kyrie and Luka are a phenomenal offensive 1-2 punch but they need to be surrounded with a strong defensive supporting cast. Where is the help?

Richaun Holmes is useful defensively but not high end. Lively is only a raw rookie who will take time to grow. Kidd did not trust McGee last year so he probably won't this year either. It looks like D Powell is out since they added R Holmes. Not much difference there.

OM Prosper needs time to develop his offense. He is an impressive athlete and defender but it'll be tough to play him more than low minutes until he improves his offense. Bullock struggled last year and is a bit small to be the PF. Kleber is slow footed and weak defensively which is a bad fit next to Luka.

Tim Hardaway Jr is an offensive minded role player. He is their 3rd option. Useful but not a great fit next to Kyrie and Luka who would be better off with a more defensively inclined role player. Ntilinka fell out of the rotation last year and needs to be upgraded. Josh Green was a bright spot last year and should continue to see his role grow in the team.

Where is the help coming from? Not much cap space after re-signing Kyrie. Not much trade assets. Young guys who need time to develop.

Dallas look like they may struggle to make the playoffs again next year. Very disappointing start to the offseason.

Re: 2023 Post Draft Rosters
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 02:54:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I liked the draft for the Jazz. Hendricks, George & Sensebaugh. 3 solid prospects. Hendricks & Kessler is a great defensive duo for the future. Intrigued to see how their team operates.

Sexton / Dunn
Clarkson / George
Hendricks / Ogbaji
Markannen / Sensebaugh
Kessler / Olynyk

Fun, and weird.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 03:27:20 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1264
I liked the draft for the Jazz. Hendricks, George & Sensebaugh. 3 solid prospects. Hendricks & Kessler is a great defensive duo for the future. Intrigued to see how their team operates.

Sexton / Dunn
Clarkson / George
Hendricks / Ogbaji
Markannen / Sensebaugh
Kessler / Olynyk

Fun, and weird.

They made Sexton available before the draft, so I’m not sure if he’s gonna be there come opening night.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 03:40:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Sexton / Dunn
Clarkson / George
Hendricks / Ogbaji
Markannen / Sensebaugh
Kessler / Olynyk

Fun, and weird.

They made Sexton available before the draft, so I’m not sure if he’s gonna be there come opening night.
We did the same with Brogdon, so it's hard to know. I'm just going off what they have post draft
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 06:12:53 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 434
Celtics..adding Porzingis makes them favorites to win it all
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 10:29:52 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I am looking forward to the Charlotte Hornets next season.

Their forward rotation is starting to look pretty sexy after drafting Brandon Miller, getting Miles Bridges back next season and hopefully a somewhat healthy Hayward.

F - Brandon Miller, Gordon Hayward
F - Miles Bridges, PJ Washington

That is one of the deeper forward rotations in the league. It will be cool to see Hayward slip into a 6th man role. A do-it-all bench SF. That will be a fun role for him. PJ Washington has developed nicely and will be a high end backup PF. That gives them two of the better backup forwards in the league at least while Hayward is healthy and playing.

Miles Bridges was valuable for them two years ago. They missed him last season. I thought their team operated around a big four. Their main two were LaMelo and Hayward and then had Rozier & M Bridges in supporting star roles both putting up close to 20ppg. Getting Bridges will be a big boost to their team.

Then the rookie Brandon Miller who looks to be a sweet shooting finesse SF who some ball skills. He'll be fun next to LaMelo in a wide open offense where LaMelo is pushing the rock and getting guys open looks. Again, having Bridges back who is far more talented offensively at PF will enable this uptempo offense to return as well.

G - Rozier, (DSJ?)
G - LaMelo, Cody Martin

These two guys have very good chemistry together. Rozier has become a rock solid scorer with an impressive three point shot. I love how well he now moves without the ball coming off screens and open into 3s. He had a down year shooting the ball last year but I believe (hope) that has more to do with the team suffering so many injuries than anything to be worried about long term with Rozier himself.

I love the ying-yang of Rozier the scorer and LaMelo the creative passer. The have a lovely partnership on the floor.

Dennis Smith Jr had a nice season for them last year. I hope they bring him back. He gives them good depth at guard.

G - Rozier, (DSJ)
G - LaMelo, Cody Martin
F - Brandon Miller, Gordon Hayward
F - Miles Bridges, PJ Washington
C - (nobody)

They are going to need a center. Two of them. If they can get two solid fives in free agency to mop up minutes, that Charlotte team has a good shot at making the playoffs next season.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 10:38:24 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324

Maybe in Vegas.

I still think Denver and Miami are better. After watching the Celtics over the last 5 years, I continue to see that our team on paper doesn't yield a guaranteed championship.

The Celtics need better coaching, team cohesion, and mental toughness. They need Tatum to take over like Butler and Jokic did.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 10:41:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Clippers are a team that disappointed me, for the obvious reasons.  I think they really screwed up not adding Brogdon for a poopoo platter of junk.

They've got the highest payroll in the league, and yet they don't have one reliable star player.  Even if both Kawhi and George are healthy, they're more of a collection of talent than they are a well-fitting team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 10:42:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Maybe in Vegas.

I still think Denver and Miami are better. After watching the Celtics over the last 5 years, I continue to see that our team on paper doesn't yield a guaranteed championship.

The Celtics need better coaching, team cohesion, and mental toughness. They need Tatum to take over like Butler and Jokic did.

More like "we need our role players to play like superstars for three rounds" in the case of Miami.  I don't see them as being better than most playoff teams, I think Caleb Martin and others just caught lightning in a bottle.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 10:56:28 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Maybe in Vegas.

More like "we need our role players to play like superstars for three rounds" in the case of Miami.  I don't see them as being better than most playoff teams, I think Caleb Martin and others just caught lightning in a bottle.

That is definitely true. Miami's role players were awesome.

Tatum and Brown (if we're calling him a star) need to elevate to Jimmy Butler's level if the Celtics are going to win a championship. Butler was a two way star in the playoffs.

The Celtics lost the year before because Steph Curry was the best player on the court. This year, Jokic was the best player. Sure, Andrew Wiggins helped GS win, but that was Curry's championship.

Maybe Tatum and Brown aren't as good as Curry, Jokic, and Butler. If either of them got better in the deep playoffs (and not worse), we might have two rings.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2023, 11:09:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
A team I do not like the look of is Detroit.

G: Jaden Ivey
G: Ausar Thompson
F: Cade Cunningham
F: Isaiah Stewart
C: Jalen Duren

I really do not like that perimeter trio. Not a fan of Ivey or the Thompson twin. Low skill low IQ players. At least Ivey is and I expect the Thompson twin is as well. Both struggle with decision making, outside shooting, turnovers, scoring efficiency. I expect DET's backcourt is going to be an eye-sore next season.

Cade Cunningham is a good player but is he a great player? Is he a low level star? Or just a skilled role player? At least he has some talent. I am not sure about the other two.

The big man duo of Stewart and Duren; I do not like. Duren is a good long term fixture at starting center and Stewart is a solid bench big but he is out of his depth as a starting PF. He is a liability.

This is going to be a fairly awful team again next season despite having filled out most of their starting five with guys who are being depended on as their future / as long term fixtures. I do not like the upside of the perimeter guys or Stewart. I do not think this team is going anywhere particularly good anytime in the near future.

I feel these last two drafts, the top 5 picks, were both wasted picks in J Ivey and the Thompson twin.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 11:14:59 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223

I really do not like that perimeter trio. Not a fan of Ivey or the Thompson twin. Low skill low IQ players. At least Ivey is and I expect the Thompson twin is as well. Both struggle with decision making, outside shooting, turnovers, scoring efficiency. I expect DET's backcourt is going to be an eye-sore next season.

Cade Cunningham is a good player but is he a great player? Is he a low level star? Or just a skilled role player? At least he has some talent. I am not sure about the other two.

The big man duo of Stewart and Duren; I do not like. Duren is a good long term fixture at starting center and Stewart is a solid bench big but he is out of his depth as a starting PF. He is a liability.

This is going to be a fairly awful team again next season despite having filled out most of their starting five with guys who are being depended on as their future / as long term fixtures. I do not like the upside of the perimeter guys or Stewart. I do not think this team is going anywhere particularly good anytime in the near future.

I feel these last two drafts, the top 5 picks, were both wasted picks in J Ivey and the Thompson twin.

I was not high on Cade from the draft. I couldn't see what everyone else was saying about him. He's not a point guard and he's probably a starting small forward or a sixth man on a good playoff team. Nothing I've seen has changed that.

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 11:18:16 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I was not high on Cade from the draft. I couldn't see what everyone else was saying about him. He's not a point guard and he's probably a starting small forward or a sixth man on a good playoff team. Nothing I've seen has changed that.

I think Cade was drafted as a Ben Simmons type playmaker.

I don't think that analysis has aged well for either Cade or Ben.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2023, 12:06:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836

Sexton / Dunn
Clarkson / George
Hendricks / Ogbaji
Markannen / Sensebaugh
Kessler / Olynyk

Fun, and weird.

Would you trade Brogdon and the GSW pick for Sexton? Would Danny agree?