Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 281404 times)

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1274
Yeah, if Joe Finally wakes up the C’s might actually win some games this postseason! Clearly whatever he’s trying to do is not working at all.  :laugh:

I've got plenty of problems with Joe's decision making, but the team likes the guy.  If we're winning playoff games, I'm not going to complain.

I’m in this boat as well. If the team plays hard for him regardless of his Xs and Os, then i’m fine with that…as long as we’re winning!   The guys seem to really like his approach to the game and the off court relationships as well.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1525
Yeah, if Joe Finally wakes up the C’s might actually win some games this postseason! Clearly whatever he’s trying to do is not working at all.  :laugh:

I've got plenty of problems with Joe's decision making, but the team likes the guy.  If we're winning playoff games, I'm not going to complain.

I’m in this boat as well. If the team plays hard for him regardless of his Xs and Os, then i’m fine with that…as long as we’re winning!   The guys seem to really like his approach to the game and the off court relationships as well.

If Joe can manage to just not get in the way of this team winning a title, well then that is ok.  It is just sometimes it feels like he isn't giving our guys the best chance to win a ring.  In the playoffs his 'getting in the way' has seemed to be not as bad.   If we do make it to the finals, the task is going to be harder, Joe is going to need to not actively hurt us as a team.   I think he can do it! haha

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041
He looks clueless on the sideline. But as I always say, every Celtics win is winning in spite of Joe.

Any Celtics losses is a factor leading to Joe.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

If Joe can manage to just not get in the way of this team winning a title, well then that is ok.  It is just sometimes it feels like he isn't giving our guys the best chance to win a ring.  In the playoffs his 'getting in the way' has seemed to be not as bad.   If we do make it to the finals, the task is going to be harder, Joe is going to need to not actively hurt us as a team.   I think he can do it! haha

Think about what you are saying. We are hoping our head coach's incompetence doesn't cost us too many games and the title.
What does that say about Brad ? I am of the opinion that keeping Joe as head coach for this 2nd season was the worst decision Brad has made since he joined the organization. How can he watch these games and not see what a problem Mazzulla is ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1525

Think about what you are saying. We are hoping our head coach's incompetence doesn't cost us too many games and the title.
What does that say about Brad ? I am of the opinion that keeping Joe as head coach for this 2nd season was the worst decision Brad has made since he joined the organization. How can he watch these games and not see what a problem Mazzulla is ?

Lol, I know what I am saying, and I know it sounds absurd.   But isn't what I said true?  Hopefully our players incredible desire for a title will overwhelm any other roadblocks that get in the way.   Just stay out of the way Joe and don't do anything bad to lose us a game.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
He looks clueless on the sideline. But as I always say, every Celtics win is winning in spite of Joe.

Any Celtics losses is a factor leading to Joe.

This is why the players love Joe - he's a perfect foil for them. Takes all the heat for losses and gets no credit for wins  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

Lol, I know what I am saying, and I know it sounds absurd.   But isn't what I said true?  Hopefully our players incredible desire for a title will overwhelm any other roadblocks that get in the way.   Just stay out of the way Joe and don't do anything bad to lose us a game.

Don't misunderstand my comment. I absolutely agree with you.

My meaning was that it is unbelievable that at the highest level of the game, with the most talented roster in the league and with the most storied franchise in history, we Celtic fans are left to hope that the head coach doesn't cost us a title due to his incompetence. We are better off if Mazzulla does nothing but watch the game and have minimal impact on strategy, player rotations and game adjustments.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

I've got plenty of problems with Joe's decision making, but the team likes the guy.
If we're winning playoff games, I'm not going to complain.

Not saying you are wrong, I don't know what the players think.
But how do we know they like Joe and will play for him.
They have plenty of games where they come out flat with minimal energy or focus.
Udoka had much less tolerance for this and his team played hard most of the time. His flaw was his stagnant offense.

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett

Don't misunderstand my comment. I absolutely agree with you.

My meaning was that it is unbelievable that at the highest level of the game, with the most talented roster in the league and with the most storied franchise in history, we Celtic fans are left to hope that the head coach doesn't cost us a title due to his incompetence. We are better off if Mazzulla does nothing but watch the game and have minimal impact on strategy, player rotations and game adjustments.

At least call timeout when the opposing team goes on a 6-0 run. Hate that he lets a 13-point lead evaporate to a 2-point lead in just 1 minute.

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 578
I know it’s been said, but pretty much everyone was saying Kornet was a bad matchup against this team. Only due to him getting injured did he put in Bassett, and we saw how that went.
I have to wonder why he doesn’t see these things, if I can.
Also, why aren’t any of these new and brilliant assistants helping him?

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
I know it’s been said, but pretty much everyone was saying Kornet was a bad matchup against this team. Only due to him getting injured did he put in Bassett, and we saw how that went.

Maybe they are, and maybe they're not as brilliant as we thought they were, if this is the result - a team that is leaderless and has no clue what it is doing and is somehow just bumbling through the playoffs despite an inept coaching staff which could quite possibly rank amongst the worst in the league   :-\
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett

Maybe they are, and maybe they're not as brilliant as we thought they were, if this is the result - a team that is leaderless and has no clue what it is doing and is somehow just bumbling through the playoffs despite an inept coaching staff which could quite possibly rank amongst the worst in the league   :-\

It's time to just admit he's not a bright coach. Anyone, you, me, the guy above me can see that Brissett is a much more impactful player on the floor than Kornet and Joe still uses him. He one of those who stand on the sideline with hands in the pocket watching, but without any clue on how to coach. If Kornet getting abused or Horford is wearing down, I'm throwing in Tillman or Brissett right away to stop the bleeding

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
I wonder if in the history of basketball, if not all sports, that the fans of a team doing so well complained so much about the coach.  I am sure this is some kind of record.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's time to just admit he's not a bright coach. Anyone, you, me, the guy above me can see that Brissett is a much more impactful player on the floor than Kornet and Joe still uses him. He one of those who stand on the sideline with hands in the pocket watching, but without any clue on how to coach. If Kornet getting abused or Horford is wearing down, I'm throwing in Tillman or Brissett right away to stop the bleeding

Yet there is a reason he still has a job and is on the cusp of an NBA Finals appearance while you're still posting crappy takes on an internet message board.

Funny how that works.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610

Yet there is a reason he still has a job and is on the cusp of an NBA Finals appearance while you're still posting crappy takes on an internet message board.

Funny how that works.

TP.

What a world view that Mazzula is a bad coach and Celtics ownership with millions of dollars on the line isn't smart enough to see it, Brad Stevens with his career as a basketball GM on the line isn't smart enough to see it, but SparzWizard, ozgod, and celts55 on the CS Forum are the people smart enough who have all the answers here and truly understand the big picture of NBA coaching and all of its intricacies.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur