Author Topic: Trae Young, Overrated? Or Just Hated?  (Read 5091 times)

Re: Trae Young, Overrated? Or Just Hated?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2023, 09:41:18 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'm disappointed in him.  He's largely an inefficient chucker who doesn't play defense.  Last year he looked like he might be turning a corner; this year he looks like he did as a rookie.

My take as well.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2023, 09:53:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
I don't think Young is overrated because I don't think anyone from fans, to media, to fellow players, think he is a top 15 player and probably not even a top 20 player.  I think Morant and perhaps Luka are in fact overrated because they are widely regarded as very highly rated players and I don't think they are.  No one thinks Young is really all that good.  Exciting, sure, but a key component to winning basketball, nope.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 10:09:27 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I don't think Young is overrated because I don't think anyone from fans, to media, to fellow players, think he is a top 15 player and probably not even a top 20 player.  I think Morant and perhaps Luka are in fact overrated because they are widely regarded as very highly rated players and I don't think they are.  No one thinks Young is really all that good.  Exciting, sure, but a key component to winning basketball, nope.
I respectfully disagree about Luka. The international accolades he has garnered at his age are unprecedented. His career trajectory in the NBA is also up there with the greats. Dont forget, most all-time greats struggled with winning early in their careers, even Jordan and Lebron.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2023, 10:16:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I think what’s hard to watch with Trae (at least for me) isn’t so much that he’s over powered on the defensive end because of his size, but more so his complete lack of effort on that end. He just absolutely dies on screens and doesn’t even try to navigate them. There was also a play last night where Smart was going to work on him in the post and Trae wanted no part of being there. Didn’t accept the challenge, didn’t try to embrace any sort of contact, just kind of stood there and let Smart walk him right to the front of the rim. I remember with IT he was always a defensive liability, but I’m not sure anyone questioned his effort (at least in the playoffs). If I had to play with someone who gave that little effort on defense it would p--- me off.

The difference between IT and Trae is physical strength. IT was a strong dude. Trae is skinny and easily pushed around. He can't give much resistance.

I was watching some old 2011 Dallas Mavericks games and they had another miniature PG in JJ Barea but he was built like a tank and guys often had a lot of problems out-physicaling him despite their height advantage. Same with IT. This is not the case with Trae who is both short and weak.

Jameer Nelson another guy who was short but built like a tank and could defend guys bigger than him well.

David Wesley who played here in Boston in the mid 90s was another guy. He was so physically strong that he played SG next to Baron Davis for the Hornets and often could defend SGs who were 6-6 in the post and make life miserable for them. I always remember Latrell Sprewell tryin to post him up but Spree was too skinny and couldn't move Wesley. It wrecked NY's offense whenever they tried it.

Same principle as Glen Davis defending Tim Duncan well. Physical strength and low center of gravity. Or today's Grant Williams doing well against some bigger centers. Or Smart defending bigger wing players.

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2023, 10:21:44 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I think what’s hard to watch with Trae (at least for me) isn’t so much that he’s over powered on the defensive end because of his size, but more so his complete lack of effort on that end. He just absolutely dies on screens and doesn’t even try to navigate them. There was also a play last night where Smart was going to work on him in the post and Trae wanted no part of being there. Didn’t accept the challenge, didn’t try to embrace any sort of contact, just kind of stood there and let Smart walk him right to the front of the rim. I remember with IT he was always a defensive liability, but I’m not sure anyone questioned his effort (at least in the playoffs). If I had to play with someone who gave that little effort on defense it would p--- me off.

The difference between IT and Trae is physical strength. IT was a strong dude. Trae is skinny and easily pushed around. He can't give much resistance.

I was watching some old 2011 Dallas Mavericks games and they had another miniature PG in JJ Barea but he was built like a tank and guys often had a lot of problems out-physicaling him despite their height advantage. Same with IT. This is not the case with Trae who is both short and weak.

Jameer Nelson another guy who was short but built like a tank and could defend guys bigger than him well.

David Wesley who played here in Boston in the mid 90s was another guy. He was so physically strong that he played SG next to Baron Davis for the Hornets and often could defend SGs who were 6-6 in the post and make life miserable for them. I always remember Latrell Sprewell tryin to post him up but Spree was too skinny and couldn't move Wesley. It wrecked NY's offense whenever they tried it.

Same principle as Glen Davis defending Tim Duncan well. Physical strength and low center of gravity. Or today's Grant Williams doing well against some bigger centers. Or Smart defending bigger wing players.

Interestingly Gilbert Arenas made some comments a while back on this topic but looking at it from a different angle. He said Trae is doing the right thing staying small & skinny as it helps him accentuate contact on the offensive side of the floor and get to the FT line.

He talked back to his own career and how he would struggle to get to the FT line as a big 6-3 210lb PG while guys like Iverson would get loads of FTs because any little contact they got would send them flying and the refs would react.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2023, 10:28:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Might have been because of this:

Trae Young stood at the free-throw line and chewed on his mouthpiece as loud chants of “overrated” rained down at TD Garden on Wednesday night.

The two-time All-Star guard had another rough shooting night during Atlanta’s 119-106 loss to Boston. He went 9-22 from the field, including 2-8 from 3-pt. range, with five turnovers.

Young was also voted the NBA’s “most overrated” player in an anonymous player poll conducted by The Athletic.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2023/04/18/trae-young-was-voted-most-overrated-player-in-the-nba-by-his-peers-then-celtics-fans-let-him-hear-it/?p1=hp_featurestack

I know that poll was in my head as I was chanting it.  I thought it was a great taunt.

Oh so you started the chant lol?  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2023, 10:34:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I respectfully disagree about Luka. The international accolades he has garnered at his age are unprecedented. His career trajectory in the NBA is also up there with the greats. Dont forget, most all-time greats struggled with winning early in their careers, even Jordan and Lebron.
Sure, but they also weren't considered top 5 players and MVP candidates right away either.  Luka was pretty widely regarded as a top 5 player entering this season and many had him in the top 3.  He certainly isn't a top 3 player and probably isn't a top 5 player right now.  That would in fact make him overrated. 

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2023, 10:39:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think Westbrook is a perfect example of this in today's game.  He obviously isn't small for a PG, but he really frustrated Durant in game 1 when he was guarding him as Durant couldn't do anything but shoot over him (and even that is hard because Russ is still one of the most athletic players in the league).  Westbrook is pretty clearly stronger than Durant.  Durant just couldn't do anything on him but shoot over him (and he was 0-4 with Russ on him in game 1). 

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2023, 10:48:41 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
This is why it is really impossible to quantify how much someone is overrated or underrated.  The starting point or baseline for everyone is different.  It is all based on your perception of someone else's perception of how they rate a player in their mind.  There are things you can look at like all star voting but really there is no hard baseline from which to compare the "overratedness" of a player to another player.

In terms of Trae Young, I feel the pendulum has swung.  I think he has played some great basketball in his career so that at times, he was playing above what I expected from him.  At other times, this season in particular, he has played below what I would expect.  I think he could still be a key player on a good team.  Look at Jalen Brunson for example.  Put Trae Young with someone like Julius Randle and I think Trae would be fine.

And my final thought is to caution about putting too much stake in how he is playing against the Celtics in this series.  The Celtics are a better team and they have a host of excellent defenders to put on him.  That has led to him looking pretty pedestrian so far but it is only 2 games.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2023, 11:02:15 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2524
Super talented one-way player. So many here loved IT and wanted him back. Trae essentially has had a career of IT’s best year.  Trae doesn’t rate himself - the “overrated” chant is really an insult to media and fans who think he’s a bit more of an impact player than perhaps he is.  Maybe Trae also overrates himself — but my guess is he’s in the company of just about every NBA player in that.

Watch out - clearly another jinx thread.

Eh, I think you are wildly undervaluing just how good a shooting year that was for IT. His TS% That year was .625. Young's is  .580 for his career. Leaguewide TS was .552 in 206-2017, and it was a whopping. .581 this last season. So IT did it in a tougher eea too.

And I actually think IT was a better defender than Trae, at least pre-injury. He was badly undersized, but feisty and disruptive. Trae just looks totally lost out there.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2023, 07:41:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Interesting. So it seems like a lot of people here actually agree with the chants

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2023, 07:46:14 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751
I'm disappointed in him.  He's largely an inefficient chucker who doesn't play defense.  Last year he looked like he might be turning a corner; this year he looks like he did as a rookie.

My take as well.
I'll co-sign this as well.

He's the classic player who gets overrated because he'll put together a really impressive highlight reel and then you'll check the box score and he went 9-23 and the team lost.

I thought the Hawks were more dangerous with him on the bench last night.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2023, 11:01:47 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
Still a special talent, but he needs a coach or team that can adjust his approach. Unfortunately, that seems unlikely to me.

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2023, 11:49:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
I love the guys energy and fearless  , so fun to watch….but he has an army of tall long Celtics guards to deal with.   He kinda runs into a wall playing the Celtic guards .  He has to shoot a lot of 40 foot Curry moon shots to get over the Celtics defense and he is too small to stop any of the top 8 players Celtics put on the floor.  He has to score 40 to offset the 20 he gives up being so tiny .

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:56:40 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2023, 02:18:33 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Sure, but they also weren't considered top 5 players and MVP candidates right away either.  Luka was pretty widely regarded as a top 5 player entering this season and many had him in the top 3.  He certainly isn't a top 3 player and probably isn't a top 5 player right now.  That would in fact make him overrated.

Luka has mostly been a top-5 or top-10 player, which is about what he’s rated. The Kia ladder currently puts Doncic 8th. https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder-april-14-2023-edition

Luka did have a really hot start to the year, and that briefly gave him more buzz, but that’s the way it goes. Same thing happened to Tatum. He was in the MVP conversation for a while, but as his performance slipped nobody really has him as a serious contender.