Author Topic: Hawks (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 1 Game 1 4/15/23  (Read 13765 times)

Re: Hawks (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 1 Game 1 4/15/23
« Reply #360 on: April 16, 2023, 01:57:26 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1708
As unimpressive of a comfortable playoff win that I can remember.. they have a past of blowing big leads and they desperately tried to again against a bad team not even playing remotely well. Blah….also the crowd was pretty dead for a playoff game.

Bit too harsh imo.  I agree that our tendency to relax on big leads is worrisome and clearly hasn’t gone away.  But they deserve the credit for building the 32-point lead in the first place, too.

« Reply #361 on: April 16, 2023, 02:52:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
As unimpressive of a comfortable playoff win that I can remember.. they have a past of blowing big leads and they desperately tried to again against a bad team not even playing remotely well. Blah….also the crowd was pretty dead for a playoff game.

What? We were up 32. ATL never got the lead below 12, and we basically held it around 16-22 for most of the 2nd half. It's the playoffs, you're rarely going to get these "blowout, comfortable" wins that often. Even in last year's postseason, I can only remember maybe 2-3 C's games like that in total. Even the first round against BKN, every game was pretty close
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #362 on: April 16, 2023, 03:13:13 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
Hawks fans seem pretty confident they won't shoot that bad again and that this will still be a series

They are probably right about the shooting. But I have no idea how ATL's defense will suddenly get much better as this series progresses. The C's had no trouble just driving on them. It was just a bit baffling the C's stopped attacking in the 2nd half and kept chucking again, which is another issue. But when the C's need the baskets, they can get it easily, or draw the foul for FTs. Trae Young (their best player) isn't solving that problem, in fact he's probably one of, if not their worst defender period. In fact Atlanta seemed to build real momentum and played well when Young was on the bench which is telling

I still feel confident C's take this in a rather comfortable 5 games

I was sitting behind our second-half basket yesterday.  Every time a guy started to cut, a Hawk grabbed him.  I’m not sure the refs called it once.  That’s a major reason why the driving and spacing was off in the second half.

The C’s could have fought through it harder, certainly, but both the refs and the C’s played to the score.

« Reply #363 on: April 16, 2023, 03:25:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
Hawks fans seem pretty confident they won't shoot that bad again and that this will still be a series

They are probably right about the shooting. But I have no idea how ATL's defense will suddenly get much better as this series progresses. The C's had no trouble just driving on them. It was just a bit baffling the C's stopped attacking in the 2nd half and kept chucking again, which is another issue. But when the C's need the baskets, they can get it easily, or draw the foul for FTs. Trae Young (their best player) isn't solving that problem, in fact he's probably one of, if not their worst defender period. In fact Atlanta seemed to build real momentum and played well when Young was on the bench which is telling

I was sitting behind our second-half basket yesterday.  Every time a guy started to cut, a Hawk grabbed him.  I’m not sure the refs called it once.  That’s a major reason why the driving and spacing was off in the second half.

The C’s could have fought through it harder, certainly, but both the refs and the C’s played to the score.

Oh ok. Well honestly, I can't imagine any neutral fan actually payed much attention to the game in the 2nd half haha, especially after we went into halftime up 30

« Reply #364 on: April 16, 2023, 03:40:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm glad all 6 Hawks fans are feeling confident.

That's gotta be one of the worst sports cities in America.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #365 on: April 16, 2023, 03:53:20 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 195
Bit too harsh imo.  I agree that our tendency to relax on big leads is worrisome and clearly hasn’t gone away.  But they deserve the credit for building the 32-point lead in the first place, too.

Fair enough. I was happy with Derrick white, Jaylen brown and the fact that Robert Williams looked as good as he did all year, other then that, including the crowd…meh

« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2023, 05:27:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The Miami Heat strategy of cheat every possession, because they surely cannot call all of them
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2023, 09:09:01 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Recovering from gallbladder surgery so only caught thr second half , great result! TPs for all

Had it last year, so I know what you’re feeling. Quick recovery!

Mike

Thanks! Great to know that others have had the same thing ans came out the other side unscathed  :)
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #368 on: April 17, 2023, 09:32:48 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
So the Celtics came out focused, built a big lead, and then coasted and let them back into the game to a point.  Still a 13 pt win in the playoffs is a good win but the game was a microcosm of the season.  I can't say that it doesn't concern me but it doesn't concern me very much.

To me, what was a surprise about the game was the big rotation.  Here is how is broke down:

Horford and RWill       12 min / -4
Horford No RWill        26 min / +20
RWill No Horford        10 min / -3

Not playing Grant meant that several starters played some pretty big minutes.  36 min with one 1 real big on the floor meant more time for Tatum, White, Brown, etc., and of course Horford.  I think it would be prudent to play Grant some.  Even if he played only 12 min, that could be 3 or so less minutes each for some of the others.  I think you have to give Grant a chance.  RWill was -7.  Would Grant be worse than that.  Grant and Rob were better together in the regular season than Rob and Al. 

I suspect that if we could have held the lead, that Grant or Hauser would have seen more minutes.  We were 7-8 from 3 in the 2nd period on our way to winning that quarter by 20 points.  We were then 4-17 in the second half, losing the half by 17 points. 

« Reply #369 on: April 17, 2023, 10:47:05 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 617
Joe has to know when the team is coasting that he can't leave them in. Sub them out for a few and see if it keeps things going.

The mental toughness of the team is concerning. Rather than deflating the Hawks, they left some room for them to  believe.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #370 on: April 17, 2023, 10:55:25 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
Seeing the games this weekend make me so glad we drew Atlanta and not Miami. Miami's just a thorn to go against for any team with their physicality, style of play and Jimmy Butler. All those things contributed to a pretty gutsy win yesterday. Yeah Bucks lost Giannis in the 2nd quarter, but MIA was up double digits on them early still and they lost Herro to a broken hand (oof).

« Reply #371 on: April 17, 2023, 11:52:09 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Seeing the games this weekend make me so glad we drew Atlanta and not Miami. Miami's just a thorn to go against for any team with their physicality, style of play and Jimmy Butler. All those things contributed to a pretty gutsy win yesterday. Yeah Bucks lost Giannis in the 2nd quarter, but MIA was up double digits on them early still and they lost Herro to a broken hand (oof).

MIA shot 60% from 3pt (34% for the regular season).  I don't know how they can sustain that.  MIL shot 24% from 3.  If Giannis is out for the next game, or even if not 100%, it is a real opportunity for MIA to steal another game in MIL and take command of the series.  MIA played like the playoff MIA that everyone fears.  Jimmy Butler was playoff Jimmy.  But this is all about Giannis.  It probably is better that we ended up with ATL.

« Reply #372 on: April 17, 2023, 11:58:53 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983

The Heat play brutal basketball, people always injured when , both sides when they are on the court , especially in playoff atmosphere.  How many Celtics  have been injured playing the Heat and their thug style ball over past 12 or more seasons.

It was very important Celtics not play them early on and get Rob , Al and other important players crippled up because of their crazy style of play .

We have a better team far and away , if it refereed correct.