Author Topic: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread  (Read 35219 times)

Re: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2023, 02:33:31 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Now we're hearing how close the Sox were to making trades.  They're acting just like Danny did with the C's!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2023, 07:41:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Red Sox re-acquire Noah Song. Hope this kid pans out!!

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2023, 08:53:21 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
Red Sox re-acquire Noah Song. Hope this kid pans out!!

Not sure it matters at this point. Boston's playoff hopes for this season are quickly disappearing, given that they're losing 6-2 to the Jays right now, and their next two games are the oh-so-wonderful bullpen games—by the time this series is over, they'll probably be 5 or so out of a playoff spot.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2023, 07:59:59 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
Can someone explain to me why Gunnar Henderson (-700) is a heavy favorite over Tristan Casas (+700) for AL ROY? I’m not
Familiar with Henderson. Is he an amazing defender because Casas has a better average and OPS and only one fewer HRs in 57 fewer ABs? I didn’t think the winning team argument mattered as much in baseball and especially for ROY.

« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2023, 09:18:14 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Can someone explain to me why Gunnar Henderson (-700) is a heavy favorite over Tristan Casas (+700) for AL ROY? I’m not
Familiar with Henderson. Is he an amazing defender because Casas has a better average and OPS and only one fewer HRs in 57 fewer ABs? I didn’t think the winning team argument mattered as much in baseball and especially for ROY.

WAR of 1.6 v. 4.6, so I'm assuming Henderson's defense is superior. His bat is also far above average at SS compared to Casas' competition at 1B.

« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2023, 09:51:13 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380

WAR of 1.6 v. 4.6, so I'm assuming Henderson's defense is superior. His bat is also far above average at SS compared to Casas' competition at 1B.
Thank you. TP. I’m old school so OPS is about as technical as I get. 😉

« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2023, 09:28:54 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2517
What a loss tonight. 23 hits and we can't pull it out.

Let's give a big hand for Chris Sale and his 6 earned runs. Well done, Chris. I'd say we should put him out to pasture, but I guess the organization and fanbase need the extra drama and disappointment.

« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2023, 10:04:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
2nd straight year (and 3rd in the last 4 years) where we go into September and the season is basically over. I'm not really even paying attention to them anymore. It's a sad state the organization is in but it seems the ownership group doesn't care. Cut payroll, just be content with a team around 75-85 wins (missing playoffs) and keep talking about the future. All while other teams are making legit strides.

Bloom has also done a terrible job building this roster (the pitching staff especially, the depth is putrid) and his last three deadlines have all been inexcusable for different reasons. And outside of Story I guess (who was one of the last FAs to sign in 2022 btw) and the Devers extension, what "big/bold" moves has he made?

There'll be many options this offseason like Yamamoto, Snell, etc. or even trade possibilities. If he doesn't make a big move and it's more of the same (Garrett Richards/Kluber/Rich Hill types) then I don't even think I'll bother following in 2024. It's clear the front office + ownership don't care. I feel bad for Cora if he gets scapegoated, it's not his fault this roster is putrid and extremely flawed. 

Also Chris Sale to me almost represents everything wrong with the Sox currently. Bloated contract, always hurt, dumb stunts (like last season when he got an injury from riding his bike + also smashing the TVs in Worcester), very inconsistent. And every single season he'll get hurt to begin the year with something and then it's "oh just wait until Chris Sale comes back!". Enough. Eat some money and just trade him away. Thanks for everything but I'm all set with Sale for good. Relying on him for anything in 2024 would be super dumb, and also a joke
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2023, 10:13:16 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
2nd straight year (and 3rd in the last 4 years) where we go into September and the season is basically over. I'm not really even paying attention to them anymore. It's a sad state the organization is in but it seems the ownership group doesn't care. Cut payroll, just be content with a team around 75-85 wins (missing playoffs) and keep talking about the future. All while other teams are making legit strides.

Bloom has also done a terrible job building this roster (the pitching staff especially, the depth is putrid) and his last three deadlines have all been inexcusable for different reasons. And outside of Story I guess (who was one of the last FAs to sign in 2022 btw) and the Devers extension, what "big/bold" moves has he made?

There'll be many options this offseason like Yamamoto, Snell, etc. or even trade possibilities. If he doesn't make a big move and it's more of the same (Garrett Richards/Kluber/Rich Hill types) then I don't even think I'll bother following in 2024. It's clear the front office + ownership don't care. I feel bad for Cora if he gets scapegoated, it's not his fault this roster is putrid and extremely flawed. 

Also Chris Sale to me almost represents everything wrong with the Sox currently. Bloated contract, always hurt, dumb stunts (like last season when he got an injury from riding his bike + also smashing the TVs in Worcester), very inconsistent. And every single season he'll get hurt to begin the year with something and then it's "oh just wait until Chris Sale comes back!". Enough. Eat some money and just trade him away. Thanks for everything but I'm all set with Sale for good. Relying on him for anything in 2024 would be super dumb, and also a joke

As a Mets fan, all I can tell you is quit complaining.  You don’t know how good you’ve had it!

« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2023, 10:21:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2741

Trading Betts will haunt this team for a long, long time. Absolutely horrible move for the franchise in every way.

« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2023, 10:26:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Trading Betts will haunt this team for a long, long time. Absolutely horrible move for the franchise in every way.

Yep.  Second worst trade in Sox history.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2023, 11:10:13 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324
Is it as simple as the owners spread themselves too thin financially? Why has this change in strategy happened? They went from a top 5 spender to a middle of the road team.

I would get it if they went full tilt at building a farm system, but they didn't. Marcelo Mayer was supposed to be the guy and he's hitting .189 in Portland. Rafaela, Nick Yorke, and Blaze Jordan are interesting, but no sure things. I think Bello is the only young pitcher I like on the squad.

Are the Red Sox resting on their laurels? Neither the big show nor the farm system seem to be flourishing or developing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 11:15:41 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2023, 04:36:31 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
Sale is cooked at this point. And so are the Sox.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2023, 12:53:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!

As a Mets fan, all I can tell you is quit complaining.  You don’t know how good you’ve had it!

If you guys get Stearns in the offseason, I think there's a real chance the Mets are back next season
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2023, 12:56:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029

Trading away Mookie Betts was arguably one of the worst out there

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)