Author Topic: Four Years Ago....(SI Cover)  (Read 3416 times)

Re: Four Years Ago....(SI Cover)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2023, 03:22:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
If that team had traded Simmons for a well-rounded player who could shoot, they would have been unstoppable

And butler would have stayed for sure. Simmons was the absolute disaster to everything.
Absolutely. Even at the time I thought it was stupid to prioritise Simmons over Butler. Now it looks 10x as bad with how well Butler has played at Miami (despite injuries)

I was probably in the minority with you on that. I really thought there were all sorts of red flags with simmons about his attitude and lack of improvement. Even when he was a lower end all star. I’ll admit I didn’t think it was ever going to get this bad. However just how even handled butler handling the ball late was a very big warning sign. Also if Jimmy butler doesn’t like your effort that is usually a bad sign. I mean his take on towns also has certainly aged well.
The question is would Butler have stayed.  He really wanted to go to Miami even when he was with the TWolves.  The Sixers would have had to give him the 5-year Max contract for him to consider it.  They really should have gone that route if they could considering that Embiid and Butler really got along.  However being the Sixers they would have probably figured out a way to screw up a Embiid/Butler core.  Probably would have done something like trade Simmons and picks for Kyrie.

I thought he had basically said he would have stayed with the max and said they chose Tobias over him. They didn’t want to offer the max 5 year cause simmons didn’t like him and they want to keep coddling simmons.

Yeah this is what I remember. They basically chose Harris and Simmons over Butler. Embiid really wanted Butler to stay here as well. I do think Embiid resents them for that decision as well, especially with how Simmons turned out too. Embiid by all accounts is a nice guy and great teammate and even he openly told reporters he "doesn't care" anymore about the Simmons situation and he also got sick of talking about him during the time Simmons held out for what they called mental health reasons

Yeah Embid has lamented losing butler several times over the last few years including like a month ago.

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2023, 03:38:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
If that team had traded Simmons for a well-rounded player who could shoot, they would have been unstoppable

And butler would have stayed for sure. Simmons was the absolute disaster to everything.
Absolutely. Even at the time I thought it was stupid to prioritise Simmons over Butler. Now it looks 10x as bad with how well Butler has played at Miami (despite injuries)

I was probably in the minority with you on that. I really thought there were all sorts of red flags with simmons about his attitude and lack of improvement. Even when he was a lower end all star. I’ll admit I didn’t think it was ever going to get this bad. However just how even handled butler handling the ball late was a very big warning sign. Also if Jimmy butler doesn’t like your effort that is usually a bad sign. I mean his take on towns also has certainly aged well.
The question is would Butler have stayed.  He really wanted to go to Miami even when he was with the TWolves.  The Sixers would have had to give him the 5-year Max contract for him to consider it.  They really should have gone that route if they could considering that Embiid and Butler really got along.  However being the Sixers they would have probably figured out a way to screw up a Embiid/Butler core.  Probably would have done something like trade Simmons and picks for Kyrie.

I thought he had basically said he would have stayed with the max and said they chose Tobias over him. They didn’t want to offer the max 5 year cause simmons didn’t like him and they want to keep coddling simmons.

Yeah this is what I remember. They basically chose Harris and Simmons over Butler. Embiid really wanted Butler to stay here as well. I do think Embiid resents them for that decision as well, especially with how Simmons turned out too. Embiid by all accounts is a nice guy and great teammate and even he openly told reporters he "doesn't care" anymore about the Simmons situation and he also got sick of talking about him during the time Simmons held out for what they called mental health reasons

Yeah Embid has lamented losing butler several times over the last few years including like a month ago.

Found this quite from Embid after butler eliminated him last season. “I’m happy for him. I won’t sit here and say I didn’t wish he was my teammate. I still don’t know how we let him go.”

That’s pretty wild years later.

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2023, 03:40:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1633
  • What a Pub Should Be

Found this quite from Embid after butler eliminated him last season. “I’m happy for him. I won’t sit here and say I didn’t wish he was my teammate. I still don’t know how we let him go.”

Gotta wonder what Embiid's feelings with the organization will be this coming offseason after they get bounced in the playoffs again.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2023, 03:42:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427

Gotta wonder what Embiid's feelings with the organization will be this coming offseason after they get bounced in the playoffs again.

Especially if Harden walks as well.

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2023, 04:07:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I feel as if it is just a matter of time until he leaves Philly. They have done a bad job with coach hires and personnel decisions.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2023, 05:28:14 PM »

Online tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 487
Can you imagine Butler, Embid and Harden.  Wow.  Thank Goodness Philly is the NBA equivalent of the NFLs Cleveland Browns.

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2023, 06:20:56 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3037
  • On To Banner 18!

I feel as if it is just a matter of time until he leaves Philly. They have done a bad job with coach hires and personnel decisions.

I think if PHI doesn't reach the Finals this season or next, then he could actually demand out after 2024. It might also depend on what happens after Harden's contract runs out. Do they keep him? Or are they able to somehow land another star? And does Embiid trust them to do what's right.

I'm surprised PHI has kept Doc Rivers this long but I mean, I'm not complaining  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2023, 06:28:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1633
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think if PHI doesn't reach the Finals this season or next, then he could actually demand out after 2024. It might also depend on what happens after Harden's contract runs out. Do they keep him? Or are they able to somehow land another star? And does Embiid trust them to do what's right.

I'm surprised PHI has kept Doc Rivers this long but I mean, I'm not complaining  :P

I think Doc is gone if they don't make it out of the 2nd round.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2023, 06:53:16 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3037
  • On To Banner 18!

I think so too
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2023, 08:09:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

I think so too

I agree but will not doc rivers is like a cat. A million lives and orgs seem to really buy into his routine.