Author Topic: Woj: KD to Phoenix  (Read 4445 times)

Re: Woj: KD to Phoenix
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2023, 10:42:25 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
Dallas and Phoenix were aggressive. I think all of a sudden it's them and the Nuggets coming out of the West. Memphis has probably slipped barring a big move from them, and I'm not as convinced about the Kings, Clippers and Warriors (Clips and Warriors maybe, but it really depends on health; though obviously if GSW makes a run that'd be rough for us)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2023, 11:03:04 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
One thing that this trade showed — if Brown or Tatum ever request a trade, the market should be very strong.  Even disgruntled stars command a premium.

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2023, 11:04:58 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
Lol the nets

How many guys do they have on their roster now?
If I'm their GM, the recruitment of Jaylen starts today. They've got a roster full of rotation guys. They need a star.

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2023, 11:10:17 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 617
Lol the nets

If I'm their GM, the recruitment of Jaylen starts today. They've got a roster full of rotation guys. They need a star.

Give us those 4 firsts from PHO and I'll be all for it.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2023, 11:15:04 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Dallas and Phoenix were aggressive. I think all of a sudden it's them and the Nuggets coming out of the West. Memphis has probably slipped barring a big move from them, and I'm not as convinced about the Kings, Clippers and Warriors (Clips and Warriors maybe, but it really depends on health; though obviously if GSW makes a run that'd be rough for us)

PHO, DAL, and LAL were all aggressive, they needed to be.  They all went after risky moves.  Teams like DEN, MIL, PHI, and us do not need to be so aggressive.  There is far less reason to make highly risky deals.  But the latter group of teams still have some needs and the one that is best able to address their needs may position themselves better for the title run.

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2023, 11:15:48 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Lol the nets

If Jaylen decides to leave there ain't gonna be much coming back.

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2023, 11:21:01 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Lol the nets

Would you really?  4 picks and filler for Brown?  Or maybe 4 picks and Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson works (2 trades, Bridges for Brown and then Johnson into a TPE).  I guess if it was something like that, I give it a lot of consideration, even if it was say 2 picks and those two players.

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2023, 11:22:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I don't really like the trade for the Nets.  They have way too many good players to really bottom out and they really aren't going to see anything from a draft pick for like 5 years.  They are going to be mediocre for awhile and then will enter a rebuild 5 years or whatever down the line.  Now maybe they still move Bridges, Johnson, Dinwiddie, etc.

The picks are great of course, I just don't like the roster.

There was no incentive for them to bottom out this year - Houston has rights to a pick swap from the Harden deal.

I like the trade - they brought in some high character hard working guys and that gives them a chance to reestablish the culture they once had under Kenny Atkinson. And of course they can flip a player or two from more picks.
It isn't about bottoming out this year (though Houston is terrible so if they end up at the bottom they will in fact get a good pick), it is about the future.  Many of the guys they have are signed long term.  They need to reset fully and they can't with the roster they have.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2023, 11:23:46 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1519
Good for the Suns in making a bold move.  But man that is a lot of draft stock they just sent out.  Maybe with having KD there CP can extend his career with having to do even less than he does now?  I guess.  This deal for the suns all depends on if KD can stay healthy for 3-4 years.  If he can’t, I guess they can at least tell their fans they swung for the fence?

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2023, 11:25:45 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I don't really like the trade for the Nets.  They have way too many good players to really bottom out and they really aren't going to see anything from a draft pick for like 5 years.  They are going to be mediocre for awhile and then will enter a rebuild 5 years or whatever down the line.  Now maybe they still move Bridges, Johnson, Dinwiddie, etc.

There was no incentive for them to bottom out this year - Houston has rights to a pick swap from the Harden deal.

I like the trade - they brought in some high character hard working guys and that gives them a chance to reestablish the culture they once had under Kenny Atkinson. And of course they can flip a player or two from more picks.
It isn't about bottoming out this year (though Houston is terrible so if they end up at the bottom they will in fact get a good pick), it is about the future.  Many of the guys they have are signed long term.  They need to reset fully and they can't with the roster they have.

Actually, upon further review, the Brown for Bridges swap does not work, so I don't see a way to make this happen.

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2023, 11:28:30 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Good for the Suns in making a bold move.  But man that is a lost of draft stock they just sent out.  Maybe with having KD there CP can extend his career with having to do even less than he does now?  I guess.  This deal for the suns all depends on if KD can stay healthy for 3-4 years.  If he can’t, I guess they can at least tell their fans they swung for the fence?
I think there's a feeling around the league now that if you bottom out, you just pull an Ainge (or a Presti) and sell off your assets for a much draft capital that you can get.  Teams figure they're not going to win anyway.

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2023, 11:32:09 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
What I will say from the Phoenix perspective is that I respect their new owner for going for it. However in order to win even a conference championship you need to be able to stop the other team when it matters.  And this constantly gets overlooked by the media and I think the majority of fans.

The guy they gave up - Bridges - was a terrific defender. Someone like a Chris Paul at this stage of his career - you can attack him - all night long. Same for Booker.

You've also got some other great offensive teams in the west.  So there are no guarantees that this gets Phoenix over the top.

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2023, 11:45:50 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

Actually, upon further review, the Brown for Bridges swap does not work, so I don't see a way to make this happen.
?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2023, 11:46:40 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1488
The Nets really are a terrible franchise, lol. Two games out of first before the KD injury, winning 12 games in a row at one point and they blow it up by not giving Kyrie an extension.

Why did the Nets decide to let go of Durant? According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, Durant requested that the organization make a deal with the Suns if possible, as he didn’t want to be in Brooklyn following the Kyrie Irving trade. “I think the biggest reason Kevin Durant’s no longer in Brooklyn is that he didn’t want to be in Brooklyn anymore, and he wanted to be in Phoenix.” – via Nick Schwartz @ Nets Wire
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2023, 11:56:30 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
The Nets really are a terrible franchise, lol. Two games out of first before the KD injury, winning 12 games in a row at one point and they blow it up by not giving Kyrie an extension.

Why did the Nets decide to let go of Durant? According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, Durant requested that the organization make a deal with the Suns if possible, as he didn’t want to be in Brooklyn following the Kyrie Irving trade. “I think the biggest reason Kevin Durant’s no longer in Brooklyn is that he didn’t want to be in Brooklyn anymore, and he wanted to be in Phoenix.” – via Nick Schwartz @ Nets Wire

I don’t blame them for not wanting to extend Kyrie. But getting nothing for Harden was the big mistake that led to this. They weren’t true contenders as constructed, and were reliant on three headcases.
CELTICS 2024