Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 304911 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #4020 on: June 15, 2023, 06:13:48 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 435
Oakland A’s will move to Vegas..Raiders & Knights are already there so matter of time an NBA team will be there..Will Vegas support all 4 major sports team?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4021 on: June 15, 2023, 07:10:42 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 385
so Jokic claims he lost his Finals MVP trophy and doesn't really care..

is it me or is this whole "I dont care" attitude starting to get old? basically not wanting to stay for the parade, losing his trophy...I mean kyrie does the same thing and people get on him about it. maybe its because Jokic is a more likeable player. but still...

I think of the players like Barkley/chris paul etc. who would dream of having a ring.

« Reply #4022 on: June 15, 2023, 07:13:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

is it me or is this whole "I dont care" attitude starting to get old? basically not wanting to stay for the parade, losing his trophy...I mean kyrie does the same thing and people get on him about it. maybe its because Jokic is a more likeable player. but still...

I think of the players like Barkley/chris paul etc. who would dream of having a ring.
Why do people care? It's a bit refreshing to see someone succeed who isn't an unhealthy addict like the Jordan or Kobe types. Basketball isn't his world, yet he is the best in the world.

To compare this with Kyrie is...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4023 on: June 15, 2023, 07:14:22 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
If they get Kyrie while retaining Jimmy Butler and Bam, they're right back in the mix. Except they'll be a much higher seed than the 8th seed.
I wonder what effect Kyrie would have on the "Heat Culture." Would it be strong enough to override his negative effects? Or would Kyrie dilute the benefits of Heat Culture and harm their bottom line?

I think we all know how it will end up. same as it did in Cleveland, Boston, Brooklyn, Mavericks....

honestly, the only reason Miami got to the finals is because their roleplayers shot near 50% from 3 for the whole playoffs. trading all those role-players away for a guy who plays no defense and needs the ball in his hands constantly isn't really going to help them.

But, on the other hand, Miami is on their way back to the 8th seed fight for a play in spot next year unless their role-players can shoot 50% for the season. Because Jimmy will take the regular season off and Bam can't carry a team.

« Reply #4024 on: June 15, 2023, 07:16:34 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

Why do people care? It's a bit refreshing to see someone succeed who isn't an unhealthy addict like the Jordan or Kobe types. Basketball isn't his world, yet he is the best in the world.

Listen, I cant stand Kyrie and think he is a team cancer...

But its the same thing. Only difference is Jokic is a more likeable guy....

« Reply #4025 on: June 15, 2023, 07:19:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

How is it the same thing? How is it at all the same thing? Not caring about trophies = not caring about blowing teams up & promoting conspiracy theories? What??

« Reply #4026 on: June 15, 2023, 07:23:59 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
Agreed with Gouki - and I would point out that Chuck, in particular, was the face of a very famous "I am not a role model" Nike commercial exactly because putting athletes on a pedestal for being good at a game is, fundamentally, weird.

I would wager that most normal people - no matter how much you enjoy your job or how good you are at it - don't exclusively rely on their professional life when calculating the sum of their human achievements. Athletes aren't, or shouldn't be, any different.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4027 on: June 15, 2023, 07:26:11 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

How is it the same thing? How is it at all the same thing? Not caring about trophies = not caring about blowing teams up & promoting conspiracy theories? What??

you are totally changing the subject here into other aspects of Kyrie......I am talking about ONE aspect of Kyrie. not his attitude as a whole and other things that make him a team cancer.

i'm talking about Kyries whole "basketball isnt important to me, its just a hobby" routine. Which is what Jokic is doing right now with the being upset he has to go to the parade on Thursday, losing his trophy, getting back home is most important to him.

But it kind of proves my point. Jokic is a more likeable guy so its "refreshing" but when another player does it, its "disrespectful, doesn't care about his craft!"

« Reply #4028 on: June 15, 2023, 07:29:20 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Perhaps, cman, we should consider that the people who are getting upset with Kyrie's lack of 'commitment to the game' are not the same people who are praising Jokic's recent statements.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4029 on: June 15, 2023, 07:29:42 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
Agreed with Gouki - and I would point out that Chuck, in particular, was the face of a very famous "I am not a role model" Nike commercial exactly because putting athletes on a pedestal for being good at a game is, fundamentally, weird.

I would wager that most normal people - no matter how much you enjoy your job or how good you are at it - don't exclusively rely on their professional life when calculating the sum of their human achievements. Athletes aren't, or shouldn't be, any different.

I think we are talking two separate things here. I dont think most people do. But at the same time I don't see how its "refreshing" for someone to act dismissive when reaching the pinnacle of their career/sport.

if celtics won the championship last year and Tatum was freaking out about having to stay in Boston an extra 3 days for the parade and said he lost his MVP trophy and cant wait to get out of Boston to go back home I do think the attitude on this board would be different....

« Reply #4030 on: June 15, 2023, 07:35:53 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
Dallas said they won't help anyone get Kyrie in a sign and trade. They will not co-operate. So no way MIA can get Kyrie this summer. Or Phoenix.
then they lose him for nothing which is just dumb

I disagree. It reduces Kyrie's market considerably and makes it much more likely that he re-signs there. Good move by Dallas in my book.

Exactly, it is a call my bluff move by Dallas.  I don't know the exact numbers but Dallas can resign him to a big contract.  Other teams will need actual cap space to come even close.  Or work out a sign and trade.  So Kyrie can sign with a bad team that has cap space, take a severe pay cut to sign with a good team, or resign with Dallas.  Dallas is betting that Kyrie will not want to play for a bad team and will not leave big money on the table.  Probably a good bet.

all the contenders who want Kyrie need help. so why would Dallas help them?

what are they going to get? some trash from phoenix? guys like Herro/Robinson/undrafted roleplayers who will probably go back to that level of play next year?

« Reply #4031 on: June 15, 2023, 07:51:14 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

I think we are talking two separate things here. I dont think most people do. But at the same time I don't see how its "refreshing" for someone to act dismissive when reaching the pinnacle of their career/sport.

if celtics won the championship last year and Tatum was freaking out about having to stay in Boston an extra 3 days for the parade and said he lost his MVP trophy and cant wait to get out of Boston to go back home I do think the attitude on this board would be different....

But surely the reasonable takeaway here is that it would be the Boston fans at fault, rather than Tatum?

« Reply #4032 on: June 15, 2023, 08:04:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

you are totally changing the subject here into other aspects of Kyrie......I am talking about ONE aspect of Kyrie. not his attitude as a whole and other things that make him a team cancer.

i'm talking about Kyries whole "basketball isnt important to me, its just a hobby" routine. Which is what Jokic is doing right now with the being upset he has to go to the parade on Thursday, losing his trophy, getting back home is most important to him.

But it kind of proves my point. Jokic is a more likeable guy so its "refreshing" but when another player does it, its "disrespectful, doesn't care about his craft!"
People only find that silly from Kyrie due to him saying the next minute that all he wants to do is play basketball, without the cocurriculars.

« Reply #4033 on: June 15, 2023, 08:05:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

The attitude of the board isn’t necessarily the right one. People can behave as they please. Why does he need to be so reverent?

« Reply #4034 on: June 15, 2023, 08:15:40 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

I think the difference is that Kyrie impacted the game on the court by missing games and otherwise not caring.  Nothing Jokic has done or says has any impact on the court.  Jokic never gave anything less than 110% on the court.  There is absolutely no question about his commitment to the game in that respect where with Kyrie, there is plenty of questions.

I think Jokic should do the parade though.  It is respect for the fans.  You need to respect the fans.  It falls into more or less the same category as doing the post game interviews although the parade should be more fun than the post game interviews.  I am not put off if he says he really doesn't love parades but that he is doing it for the fans.

But even if Jokic skips the parade, he will not and should not be criticized the same or put in the same category as Kyrie Irving.