Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at Raptors (2-2) Preseason Game #4 10/14/22  (Read 11952 times)

Celtics (2-1) at Raptors (2-2) Preseason Game #4 10/14/22
« on: October 13, 2022, 09:24:13 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11860
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (2-1)  at  Toronto Raptors (2-2)
Friday, October 14, 2022
7:30 PM ET
Preseason Game #4, Road Game #2
TV: NBCSB, TSN, NBA-TV
Radio: WBZ-FM
Bell Centre, Montreal, QC

Probable Starting Matchups 
Point Guard
vs
Marcus Smart vs  Fred VanVleet

Shooting Guard
vs
Derrick White vs Gary Trent, Jr.

Small Forward
vs
Jaylen Brown vs Scottie Barnes

Power Forward
vs
Jayson Tatum vs OG Anunoby

Center
vs
Al Horford vs Pascal Siakam

Celtics Reserves
Malcolm Brogdon
Sam Hauser
Payton Pritchard
Luke Kornet
Blake Griffin
JD Davison (2 Way)
Justin Jackson
Mfiondu Kabengele (2 Way)
Jake Layman
Noah Vonleh

Out/Injuries
Danilo Gallinari  (ACL)  out
Robert Williams III (knee) out

Head Coach
Joe Mazzulla 

Raptors Reserves
Precious Achiuwa
Delano Banton
Gabe Brown
Jeff Dowtin (2 Way)
Ron Harper, Jr (2 Way)
Juancho Hernangomez
Josh Jackson
Christian Koloko
DJ Wilson
Thaddeus Young 
Justin Champagnie
Khem Birch

Injuries/Out
Chris Boucher (hamstring) out
Malachi Flynn (face) out
Otto Porter, Jr, (hamstring) out

Game Notes
The Celtics visit the Raptors for the final preseason game for both teams.  The Celtics will start the regular season on Tuesday at home against the 76ers while the Raptors will start the regular season on Wednesday at home against the Cavaliers.  This is the second meeting for these two teams in this preseason.  The Raptors beat the Celtics 125-119 in overtime in the first meeting. 

The Celtics held out their starters for their last game but I think they will likely play a regular rotation in this one to prepare for opening night.  However, they may choose to sit the starters once again to be sure to avoid injuries. I've included the regular starters for both teams but either team may choose to sit some or all of their starters for some or all of the game. 

Also, with Luke Kornet back from injury,  Joe Mazzulla may choose to start the double big lineup with Al Horford and Luke Kornet and move Derrick White back to the bench.  Before his injury,  Kornet was practicing with the starters and it was assumed that he would start in place of Robert Williams while he was out.  So, that's a possibility also.  If the Raptors continue to go small,  the Celtics likely will also.

Robert Williams remains out as he rehabs from knee surgery.  He is expected to be out until possibly December.  Danilo Gallinari will miss most or all of the season with a torn ACL.  For the Raptors,  Chris Boucher (hamstring), Malachi Flynn (face) and Otto Porter, Jr. (hamstring) all are listed as out for this game. 

Key Matchups
vs
Marcus Smart vs  Fred VanVleet
VanVleet is always a threat to score and Marcus Smart needs to stay with him defensively, especially on the perimeter.  VanVleet had 7 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists in the first game between these two teams. 

vs
Jaylen Brown vs Scottie Barnes
Scottie Barnes is the reigning Rookie of the Year and the Raptors are expecting him to take a leap in his development this season.  He finished the last game between these two teams with 8 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 block.  This should be a fun matchup to watch.

Honorable Mention
Al Horford vs Pascal Siakam
Siakam has been one of Toronto's best players over the last few years and is likely to have another good season again.  In the first game against the Celtics, he finished with 13 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is always a key to winning every single game.  The Celtics have looked solid on defense so far in the preseason and hopefully we see another solid defensive effort in this game.  The Celtics must be aggressive on defense and make playing team defense a priority in this game and in every game. 

Rebound - Rebounding is also a key to winning every game.  Much of rebounding is effort and hustle.  The Celtics have to put out extra effort on the boards to prevent the Raptors from getting second chance points and extra possessions  and to give themselves extra opportunities to score.  The Raptors are a good rebounding team and the Celtics will need to work harder on the boards, especially on defensive rebounds, if they are going to win this game. 

Pace and Teamwork - The Celtics played with great pace so far in the preseason. They need to run on every possession and move the ball without a lot of iso play and without a lot of dribbling around once again in this game.  They are most effective when they keep the ball moving and also move without the ball. 

Take Care of the Ball -   They can't afford to give the ball away if they want to give themselves a chance to win this game.  Turnovers were a problem for the team last season and in the first game this season and hopefully they can find a way to solve that problem and limit their turnovers. 

X-Factors
Preseason -  It's the preseason and both teams are still working on lineups and chemistry and conditioning.  We may see limited minutes for the starters, or even starters sitting out for the game. We may see some creative lineups as both coaches look to evaluate the camp players for remaining roster spots.  It may not be very pretty basketball, but then again,  the Celtics may put together another good game, even with the camp players getting solid minutes.

On The Road - The Celtics had to travel to Montreal for this game and so may be bothered by travel and staying in a hotel and playing on a strange court and in front of hostile fans.  Hopefully they can get past all these distractions and play good basketball and get the win.

Re: Celtics (2-1) at Raptors (2-2) Preseason Game #4 10/14/22
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 09:25:25 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 638
Letssssss gooooo!

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 09:25:50 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11860
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to   mobilija  for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!

Beat the Raptors!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 09:28:29 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 638
Love it FLCelts, back at ya. Ur the best!

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 09:39:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3222
WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO

TP FLCeltsFan

Last preseason game!

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 10:35:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
tp for another great thread FL.   let's wrap up the preseason with another win

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 10:40:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1487
Thank god. Seems like it’s been a month since the C’s last preseason game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 10:56:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
pre-season game thread, thanks flc and a tp.

pre-season means we can watch our binkies shine. will kabengele impress? will davison wow us? can vonleh continue to win us over as fans?

it should be a fun game to watch. to be honest, i am more interest in the game AFTER the regular starters go to the bench. but in any case.....

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo celtics!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 11:03:17 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1869
Let's go Cs!  Last preseason game and we are ready for action.  TP for another great game thread FLCeltsFan.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 04:07:37 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1264
Should we expect the starters to still play? I hope Joe plays the younger guys more.

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 09:04:12 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Should we expect the starters to still play? I hope Joe plays the younger guys more.
I hope not. This is the last pre-season game and Joe should be working is planned rotation. Maybe he gives Layman some run for a look-see, or Kornet if he is in the rotation plans.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2022, 09:07:13 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

I think we’ll get something resembling the regular rotation in the first half, and the end of the roster in the second half.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 09:34:59 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 889

I think we’ll get something resembling the regular rotation in the first half, and the end of the roster in the second half.

I agree.  You can do both.  Definitely need to give some time to the regular rotations, especially this year with RWill out.  The "regular" rotations are not set.  There is still some experimenting.  Griffin needs to get out on the court.  Vonleh needs to build on what he has been doing.  Brogdon is new.  We are going to need these guys in sync with the other regulars.

As to the scrubs/final roster spot candidates, they are definitely going to see some minutes but I hope the decision isn't made based on who makes a few shots during garbage time play in a preseason game.  I am sure that the coaches are going to want a final look at Jackson and Layman for example but I would think they already have a pretty good take on what these guys are as players.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 09:52:32 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 433
Be great to see the bench players play a lot of minutes tonight
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 11:27:27 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I agree.  You can do both.  Definitely need to give some time to the regular rotations, especially this year with RWill out.  The "regular" rotations are not set.  There is still some experimenting.  Griffin needs to get out on the court.  Vonleh needs to build on what he has been doing.  Brogdon is new.  We are going to need these guys in sync with the other regulars.

As to the scrubs/final roster spot candidates, they are definitely going to see some minutes but I hope the decision isn't made based on who makes a few shots during garbage time play in a preseason game.  I am sure that the coaches are going to want a final look at Jackson and Layman for example but I would think they already have a pretty good take on what these guys are as players.
They probably do, especially Jackson who can't complain he wasn't given a fair shot. He's a streaky shooter, as advertised.