Author Topic: Kemba’s got to go...  (Read 47428 times)

Re: Kemba’s got to go...
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2021, 03:21:37 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The guy has a bad streak and the trades start to boil. If we traded all of our players when they're cold? We wouldn't have any players left. He missed a game winning shot? I guess we have to trade Tatum for all the big shots he's missed.

The contract stands in the way of trading him....get used to it.

Ok, so start Smart and have Walker come in as sixth man.

I don't know if it makes the team better than Walker starting.

I will say this, opposing coaches still crowd him and double him because they have to.

« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2021, 03:57:59 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
It was nice to see Walker acknowledge that he will adjust his game so that Tatum and our interchangeable piece Brown do not have to.  I think Kemba can make this adjustment.  He did it last season to some degree but still needs some further adjustment in my opinion.  If you look at Chris Paul for example, he hovers around 12-13 shot attempts the last few seasons resulting in 16-17 pts including 3-4 FT made in 32'ish min.  Chris Paul has adjusted his game to suit his teams' needs.

Kemba is getting 16 pts on 15 shots so far this season with about 3 FTA (2.5 made) in 26.5 minutes.  Kemba is taking more shots than Chris Paul in less minutes.  Kemba should focus on efficiency.  My metric for that is points per shot.  For example, last season, Gordon Hayward was at 17.5 pts with 13.5 shots.  Very nice efficiency, right in the same range as Chris Paul.  Last season Kemba was about 20 pts on 16 shots including 3.7 FT made.  Decent, but probably a little higher volume of shots than ideal in terms of what this team needs most from Kemba.

Say Kemba were to take 8 2PT shots @ 50% and 5 3PT shots at 40%, that is 14 pts (using math friendly numbers for illustrative purposes).  Add in say 4 made FT and that is 18 pts on 13 shots.  That is very efficient, a little better even than Hayward last season and what Chris Paul has been doing, but not unrealistic as a best case target for Kemba.  It would require careful shot selection so that he is only taking high percentage shots (good looks, not forced shots) or shots where he has a good chance at drawing a foul.  This is the adjustment that Hayward made and this is what Chris Paul has been doing for several seasons.  This is also the best thing that Kemba could do for the sake of the team.

« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2021, 04:51:58 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
New thread today: "Kemba's Our Superstar! He's untouchable!"  :laugh:

And today he’s back to being traded for a second rounder again :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2021, 04:56:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
New thread today: "Kemba's Our Superstar! He's untouchable!"  :laugh:

And today he’s back to being traded for a second rounder again :angel:

He is overall just too streaky

I hate how he tries to shoot himself out of in game slumps

Careless passes

And lastly his ability to finish near the rim is garbage

He gets his shot block almost every time.  Learn to incorporate a floater

« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2021, 04:58:47 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1489
Serious question.... who makes the Celtics better over the next two years, Kemba Walker or Al Horford and George Hill?  Kemba and Horford have two more years on their deals after this one, George Hill is a FA after next season. Money is basically a wash in terms of dollar amount.  If they traded Kemba(plus picks) for those two they would still have the TPE(insert Barnes or Thad Young). Could totally transform the roster and would have depth at every position.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2021, 05:06:37 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Serious question.... who makes the Celtics better over the next two years, Kemba Walker or Al Horford and George Hill?  Kemba and Horford have two more years on their deals after this one, George Hill is a FA after next season. Money is basically a wash in terms of dollar amount.  If they traded Kemba(plus picks) for those two they would still have the TPE(insert Barnes or Thad Young). Could totally transform the roster and would have depth at every position.

Kemba. Literally last game he hit a clutch shot that helped us win the game. He's stinking up the joint right now but he still has the clutch gene we need for late in the season. Horford's just a nice player.

« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2021, 05:26:02 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

Kemba. Literally last game he hit a clutch shot that helped us win the game. He's stinking up the joint right now but he still has the clutch gene we need for late in the season. Horford's just a nice player.

I don’t recall Kemba hitting many clutch shots Since he’s been on the C’s, maybe a handful.. You’d rather have Kemba taking big shots over Jaylen and Jayson? I certainly wouldn’t.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2021, 05:50:55 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

I don’t recall Kemba hitting many clutch shots Since he’s been on the C’s, maybe a handful.. You’d rather have Kemba taking big shots over Jaylen and Jayson? I certainly wouldn’t.

As I said, last game against the Clippers. Also Game 2 against the Raptors last year comes to mind off the top of my head.

And the thing about crunch time is that it's usually ~5 minutes of tight basketball and therefore about 10-15 possessions each. It's good to have a guy who can make his own (high percentage) shot off the dribble. So yes, having all three guys is better than having Horford + JB/JT.

« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2021, 06:10:27 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2742

I think people have to honestly ask themselves would you rather have Theis out there or Horford at his current age? Theis has been killing it for us this season.

« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2021, 06:34:57 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

As I said, last game against the Clippers. Also Game 2 against the Raptors last year comes to mind off the top of my head.

And the thing about crunch time is that it's usually ~5 minutes of tight basketball and therefore about 10-15 possessions each. It's good to have a guy who can make his own (high percentage) shot off the dribble. So yes, having all three guys is better than having Horford + JB/JT.

So you have two examples and honestly, those are the only two that  come to mind. I’m sure there are a couple more, but Kemba will not get many of those looks going forward as long as Jaylen and Jayson are on this team. Hill and Horford would do so much more for this team and they are not a huge defensive liability. Both are arguably better passers and they are both better shooters overall. People say Horford’s contract is a massive overpay, so what does that make Kemba’s? He’s making 7-8 million $ more per year....

« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2021, 06:58:19 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

So you have two examples and honestly, those are the only two that  come to mind. I’m sure there are a couple more, but Kemba will not get many of those looks going forward as long as Jaylen and Jayson are on this team. Hill and Horford would do so much more for this team and they are not a huge defensive liability. Both are arguably better passers and they are both better shooters overall. People say Horford’s contract is a massive overpay, so what does that make Kemba’s? He’s making 7-8 million $ more per year....

Kemba was an All-Star last year. Horford was relegated to the bench on a bad Sixers team.

Kemba doesn’t need to hit literally the last shot of the game to make an impact late in the game. Kemba’s ability to penetrate and draw defenders and get better looks for Brown and/or Tatum is also something he’s lightyears better at than Horford or Hill.

Also, as hpantazo mentioned, Horford at this stage isn’t noticeably better than Theis. I just totally disagree that your proposed swap would help the team. I also think people are giving up on Kemba way too early.

« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2021, 07:01:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Are you serious?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2021, 07:10:10 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

I think people have to honestly ask themselves would you rather have Theis out there or Horford at his current age? Theis has been killing it for us this season.

How about adding Horford and Keeping Theis? Would be fine with moving on from Thompson. Still think Horford matches up much better with The bigger centers such as Embiid, Sabonis, Turner, Lopez, etc. With that being said, I would prefer Horford over Theis if I had to chose between one or the other.

Al Horford

Last 10 games: 27 mpg, 18.4pts, 7.4Reb, 4ast, 2stl, 1blk, FG:50%, 3pt:67%  Per 17.77

Daniel Theis

Last 10 games: 23.5 mpg,  11.1pts, 5Reb, 1.4ast, 0.9blk, 0.8stl, FG64%, 3pt 57%
Per 16.63

« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2021, 07:13:44 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
Are you serious?

As serious as a heart attack... ;)

« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2021, 07:15:23 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Are you serious?
It may sound surprising but people do have different opinions than you. Chances are gold star was serious. Also Horford is having a resurgent season and is clearly the second best player on the OKC team.