Author Topic: Levert Out Indefinitely with Cancerous Kidney Mass  (Read 5674 times)

Re: Levert out indefinitely with kidney mass
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 02:41:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25602
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Turns out it was cancer.  He had surgery today and is expected to make a full recovery.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 02:56:36 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Turns out it was cancer.  He had surgery today and is expected to make a full recovery.

That's good to hear.

The trade may have literally saved his life. Do teams perform physicals on all their players before the start of the season? If yes, does that mean the Nets doctors may have missed this?

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 03:08:04 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Wow good thing he was traded.. prayers to a full recovery...does teams do physicals every year?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:17:09 PM by Birdman »
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 03:11:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Wow good thing he was traded.. prayers to a full recovery...does teams do psychicals every year?
if they do, the Indiana medical team is going to be in the hot seat

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 03:16:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wow good thing he was traded.. prayers to a full recovery...does teams do psychicals every year?

I dont think you can blame them on this one

They can only check so many things. A full 360 medical check is not possible

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 03:17:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I dont think you can blame them on this one

They can only check so many things. A full 360 medical check is not possible
how did one medical team catch it and not the other ? The only explanation is this cancer began growing to the point of discovery after his last physical 

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2021, 03:29:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Did this trade save his life?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
They say no further treatments will be necessary. Sure hoping that is true because sometimes, just some cells being left in the area of the tumor can lead to growth elsewhere, which could mean aggressive treatment. Good thoughts and well wishes goes Lavert's way.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2021, 05:13:19 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2562
They say no further treatments will be necessary. Sure hoping that is true because sometimes, just some cells being left in the area of the tumor can lead to growth elsewhere, which could mean aggressive treatment. Good thoughts and well wishes goes Lavert's way.

I assuming the reason for no further treatment is that they are removing the kidney.   Obviously I don’t know this to be true -  I just know that the 2 people I know who were diagnosed with kidney cancer had their kidney removed.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

I assuming the reason for no further treatment is that they are removing the kidney.   Obviously I don’t know this to be true -  I just know that the 2 people I know who were diagnosed with kidney cancer had their kidney removed.
I’m not sure you can play professional sports with one kidney. Given how optimistic they sound they might have just cut of a small portion of one kidney so he has close to two kidneys to function as a high profile athlete. I’m just speculating here but I hope it’s just a portion of a kidney not the whole thing taken out.

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2021, 05:23:21 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Did this trade save his life?
Potentially yes. But I think he would have gone through thorough physical within the next few years so they would catch it then.
So the difference between him surviving depending on when they catch it is probably :
99% chance of living cancer free - catch it early (now with this trade) maybe stage 1 cancer...
 95% catch it in 2023 stage 2 ...
 13% catch it in 2028 or 2030 etc stage 4...
From talking to my friend that had his kidney removed it is something like this but my stats are not to be trusted.

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2562

I’m not sure you can play professional sports with one kidney. Given how optimistic they sound they might have just cut of a small portion of one kidney so he has close to two kidneys to function as a high profile athlete. I’m just speculating here but I hope it’s just a portion of a kidney not the whole thing taken out.

I was wondering the same thing (whether pro sports is advisable with one kidney).  I know people live normal, healthy lives with one kidney, but NBA basketball isn't normal.   Makes me wonder what the term "full recovery" means from a physician's standpoint. 

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
At one point in my life i had both of my parents dealing with carcinoma, I hope Caris gets well, like my parents did. I am feeling confident that he will.

I'd like to see an investigation within Nets organization regarding his condition. I am getting Jeff Green vibes here.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2021, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I was wondering the same thing (whether pro sports is advisable with one kidney).  I know people live normal, healthy lives with one kidney, but NBA basketball isn't normal.   Makes me wonder what the term "full recovery" means from a physician's standpoint.
Multiple Aussie Rules footballers (Sam Newman and Tom Lonergan spring to mind) lost a kidney playing the game - nearly dying in the process - and returned to play at the same level, if not better than before. Lonergan wore a protective padding underneath his jumper, but Newman did not as he played in the 60s.

AFL is a lot more contact-heavy than NBA, and they run 7-10 miles a game, so I don't see how it wouldn't be possible.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2021, 06:56:32 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Multiple Aussie Rules footballers (Sam Newman and Tom Lonergan spring to mind) lost a kidney playing the game - nearly dying in the process - and returned to play at the same level, if not better than before. Lonergan wore a protective padding underneath his jumper, but Newman did not as he played in the 60s.

AFL is a lot more contact-heavy than NBA, and they run 7-10 miles a game, so I don't see how it wouldn't be possible.
Nowadays in the nba you are talking about huge liabilities . LeVert is also probably uninsurable if he only has one kidney plus history of cancer. I bet it gets quite tricky playing with just one kidney. There is also how much and what liquids can you drink when you are thirsty or tired. I think it’s much less restrictive with a one and a half kidneys than with just one.