Author Topic: Tristan Thompson signing with Cs  (Read 45430 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson signing with Cs
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1216
Both moves ended up being unnecessary as Boston didn't need the cap space or roster spot as it ended up.

We needed to dump Baynes to sign Kemba.
Not as worked out by doing the double sign and trade with Rozier.  Now maybe we don't get to that point without the cap space, or maybe we still do. 

Edit: And here's the thing, Boston could have dumped Baynes after the draft if it still needed to.  There was no need for urgency at the draft like that, especially at the expense of just dumping a 1st round pick.  He did the same thing this year.  Just dumped a 1st round pick because he didn't move it before the draft and was left in a situation where he had too many picks.  If he would have gotten a future 1st, the trade this year would have been different, but dumping a 1st for two future 2nd's because you had too many picks is just bad asset management.

The Celtics took Kemba in using cap space, even with the S&T.  If Baynes was on the roster, we couldn’t have completed the deal.
they gave up 17 million in a trade, they didn't need full max to do the trade.  Baynes could have been on the roster and that trade would have still worked

We had half of that counting as outgoing due to Base Year Compensation, and even then it wasn't nearly enough to add Kemba's salary. We absorbed Kemba into cap space, it would have taken a S&T with Kyrie to match the salaries (hence that being a big part of the Horford idea/rumor).

If Baynes had been on the roster, we would have been $5 million short.
you can absorb onky some of. Sprayer into cap space and make up the rest with salary. Are you sure thay wouldn't have applied here?

You can't do that. You can either absorb the player into cap space, or bring them in using matching salaries. But you can't absorb part of a salary using cap space and then match the rest with outgoing salary.

If, at the end of a trade, you end up $100k or more over the cap, you have to use matching salaries instead. There are cases where you could have non-simulataneous trades to bring in one player with cap space and another with matching salaries, but that doesn't apply to bringing in one big salary (like Kemba)

In theory, we could have done a big deal where Rozier went to CHO, Kemba to BOS, and Kyrie to BRK which would have allowed us to keep Baynes, but given that the Nets demanded a first rounder from the Warriors in the DLo/KD deal, it probably would not have been free, or even cheap
I'm bitter.

« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2020, 03:36:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2020, 03:42:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
Both moves ended up being unnecessary as Boston didn't need the cap space or roster spot as it ended up.

We needed to dump Baynes to sign Kemba.
Not as worked out by doing the double sign and trade with Rozier.  Now maybe we don't get to that point without the cap space, or maybe we still do. 

Edit: And here's the thing, Boston could have dumped Baynes after the draft if it still needed to.  There was no need for urgency at the draft like that, especially at the expense of just dumping a 1st round pick.  He did the same thing this year.  Just dumped a 1st round pick because he didn't move it before the draft and was left in a situation where he had too many picks.  If he would have gotten a future 1st, the trade this year would have been different, but dumping a 1st for two future 2nd's because you had too many picks is just bad asset management.

The Celtics took Kemba in using cap space, even with the S&T.  If Baynes was on the roster, we couldn’t have completed the deal.
they gave up 17 million in a trade, they didn't need full max to do the trade.  Baynes could have been on the roster and that trade would have still worked

We had half of that counting as outgoing due to Base Year Compensation, and even then it wasn't nearly enough to add Kemba's salary. We absorbed Kemba into cap space, it would have taken a S&T with Kyrie to match the salaries (hence that being a big part of the Horford idea/rumor).

If Baynes had been on the roster, we would have been $5 million short.
you can absorb onky some of. Sprayer into cap space and make up the rest with salary. Are you sure thay wouldn't have applied here?

You can't do that. You can either absorb the player into cap space, or bring them in using matching salaries. But you can't absorb part of a salary using cap space and then match the rest with outgoing salary.

If, at the end of a trade, you end up $100k or more over the cap, you have to use matching salaries instead. There are cases where you could have non-simulataneous trades to bring in one player with cap space and another with matching salaries, but that doesn't apply to bringing in one big salary (like Kemba)

In theory, we could have done a big deal where Rozier went to CHO, Kemba to BOS, and Kyrie to BRK which would have allowed us to keep Baynes, but given that the Nets demanded a first rounder from the Warriors in the DLo/KD deal, it probably would not have been free, or even cheap
that makes sense.  Though I still don't think he needed to dump Baynes at the draft and could have done it later on if he needed to.  I mean we could have just made Charlotte take him (as an example)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2020, 09:21:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Some video of Myles Turner not being able to handle Tristan Thompson at all, to raise our spirits.

https://twitter.com/bykjdoyle/status/1330988100538028032?s=21
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:54:01 AM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2020, 09:29:35 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 562
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
https://twitter.com/bykjdoyle/status/1330988100538028032?s=21

Some video of Myles Turner not being able to handle Tristan Thompson at all, to raise our spirits.
Turner struggles against power a lot.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2020, 09:54:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
An old school clip I came across.  Thompson interview at the combine.  I forgot that this is one fast talking fella. 

Tristant Thompson:  "At the end of day I want to win,  if the team needs me to do xyz"  "when you win, everyone else shines"   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTvT-BZWx-w&t=170s

And another good one from a few years back.  His analysis of Cavs losing to the Celtics.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjiQO_TmCDs

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:09:17 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2020, 10:20:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The interesting thing I'll be watching from our opponents this season is how they'll react to T2......

I can't recall us having an active Big like this in recent memory...I mean someone DOWN LOW they'll have to pay attention to....someone that can bang as well.

Perk? KG?

T2's no KG but he will certainly bring considerable presence to us down low....something we've been lacking for quite a while.

The "Golden State Warriors 2015-18" NBA is changing....ask LAL.

You need quality Bigs (Dwight, AD) to win, now....of course having LeBron helps but I don't think The HOU Rockets / GSW NBA is safe anymore.

« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2020, 10:26:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The interesting thing I'll be watching from our opponents this season is how they'll react to T2......

I can't recall us having an active Big like this in recent memory...I mean someone DOWN LOW they'll have to pay attention to....someone that can bang as well.

Perk? KG?

T2's no KG but he will certainly bring considerable presence to us down low....something we've been lacking for quite a while.

You need quality Bigs (Dwight, AD) to win, now....of course having LeBron helps but I don't think The HOU Rockets / GSW NBA is safe anymore.

Dwight is a clown.  Lebron and especially Rondo was able to control his detrimental behavior for the most part

But not sure how it will workout with the 76rs.  They don't really have a steady leader in the clubhouse

The two real bigs I worry about are AD and Jokic. But luckily we don't have to worry about them at the moment.  From the east its Bam and Giannis.  But I feel more at ease with the Thompson signing. More at ease than if the Celts traded for Turner instead

« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2020, 08:04:21 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Perk? KG?

Dwight is a clown.  Lebron and especially Rondo was able to control his detrimental behavior for the most part

But not sure how it will workout with the 76rs.  They don't really have a steady leader in the clubhouse

The two real bigs I worry about are AD and Jokic. But luckily we don't have to worry about them at the moment.  From the east its Bam and Giannis.  But I feel more at ease with the Thompson signing. More at ease than if the Celts traded for Turner instead

Timelord plays AD quite well.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2020, 09:27:19 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Perk? KG?

Not worried about Embiid?  That must be nice...

« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2020, 09:39:00 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 401
Zach Lowe did a terrific profile on Thompson in 2017. Nice read:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19491943/zach-lowe-cleveland-cavaliers-tristan-thompson-becoming-elite-role-player-nba

Great read and sounds like the type of player we need! Someone who likes being the 5th option
- LilRip

« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2020, 10:11:40 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 293
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Perk? KG?

Not worried about Embiid?  That must be nice...

Embiid was underwhelming on defense and as a passer against us, but if the new coaching staff can get that Philadelphia team rolling I'd think standardly giving up 30/12 to Embiid can become a problem.

« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2020, 10:15:12 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Alls I know is that in the last playoffs I was terrified when Theis went out. I was also terrified when Theis was in foul trouble or playing poorly. TT is a championship-team starting center. If he starts and Theis comes off the bench that’s just a way more solid position for us. Honestly I think Teague does the same for us at the point.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
The more clips I watch, the more I'm impressed with his mobility for someone as strong as he is. He's really strong but he has quick feet. I think he's going to fit Brad's defense really well.

« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2020, 01:20:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
Finally a second hand big that is not already on his last legs limping around.