Author Topic: Are you proud to be an American ?  (Read 2818 times)

Re: Are you proud to be an American ?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 02:13:22 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1571
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Proud to be an American.   Yes.

Proud of American politicians?   No.

Proud of everything America has done?  No.

I can say the same thing about my religion (but will go no further then that in this discussion)

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »

Offline drooldaddy

• Enes Kanter
  • Tommy Points: 5
As probably one of the older people hear at 66. I am embarrassed by the current President. Obviously I have never seen anything like this and I pray never will again.
What drives me crazy is that almost half the country disagrees with me .It makes me wonder what I am missing . I still havenít figured that out.

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 02:31:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
  • 2021 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Indiana Pacers
As probably one of the older people hear at 66. I am embarrassed by the current President. Obviously I have never seen anything like this and I pray never will again.
What drives me crazy is that almost half the country disagrees with me .It makes me wonder what I am missing . I still havenít figured that out.

What I am getting is that Trump voters - most of them (I hope) are NOT racist, sexist but WILLING to look past his comments and actions and support / vote for him on "other things".......

I'd guess that those "Other Things" could be debated for 30-40 pages on here and have already, in some fashion.

He supposedly got 12% or Black votes this time - up from 8%.

He got a LOT of Hispanic American votes - especially in MIA. But as Anna Navarro states - "There are like 31 flavors of Latinos / Latinas"............

He DID get the majority of the Hispanic vote in say - Arizona...Biden, that is. But not in MIA.

America "IS" changing...I get that. Blacks like myself should NOT tie ourselves down to "ANY" one party - but I'm not selling myself out to ANYTHING Trump peddles.

He is a false god.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:40:36 PM by GreenFaith1819 »
2021 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Indiana Pacers:
C- Marc Gasol(16-17)Jeff Ruland(83-84)Theo Ratliff(00-01)
PF- Dan Roundfield(79-80)Paul Milsap(14-15)Dino Radja(95-96)
SF- Dan Marjerle(92-93)Rashard Lewis(08-09)Jalen Rose(99-00)
SG- Reggie Lewis(91-92)World B. Free(78-79)Dell Curry(93-94)
PG- Steve Nash(05-06)Fat Lever(87-88)Tony Allen(12-13)

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 02:38:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1539
I'm proud to be an individual, which ultimately, is the only 'identity' that really matters to me. Overall, though, I'm grateful to live in the USA, where I am certainly better off than in most every other country (even if I am not as free as I should be).

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »

Online ozgod

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 572
I'm proud to be American. That said, being proud of our country doesn't mean being blind to its faults. There are things that have happened, and are happening, in our country that I'm not proud of. But I think the solution is not to turn away from our country, but to work to try to make it better, for everyone. America is, and always will be, a work in progress. What we can try and do is make it a better place for all those who come after us.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 09:06:17 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 401
Dang proud to be an American. Our system of government has allowed the people to create a freer and more equitable society. We have lead the world in that direction for generations.
That being said, we are far from an equitable society, and have  had to fight to overcome inequality.
To the constitution that has fostered the path to a better world I am grateful. To the Americans who have struggled against internal forces, and fought against foreign forces in the furtherance of the American ideal, I am in debt.
Of those who believe America would be better off if fewer Americans had a piece of the pie, Iím not so proud.

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2020, 09:14:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1007
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm proud to be American. That said, being proud of our country doesn't mean being blind to its faults. There are things that have happened, and are happening, in our country that I'm not proud of. But I think the solution is not to turn away from our country, but to work to try to make it better, for everyone. America is, and always will be, a work in progress. What we can try and do is make it a better place for all those who come after us.
Yeah, blind pride and willful ignorance of things that can be improved upon is a problem.

What you describe is what all should aspire to IMO
Fire Brad

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2020, 09:36:48 PM »

Offline Alec14

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
Maybe I have a different definition of 'pride', but I'm not proud of things I did nothing to accomplish. I'm not proud to be an American, a man, or white. I just am those things. I love America, I want the best for the country, and I'll do my part to make this happen . . . but proud? The work I do, the relationships I have, the empathy I try to show to other people . . . those are things I'm proud of.

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 370
Hell Yes I am !!
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2020, 12:47:12 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Not a single day I wasnít proud. I truly feel sorry for the Americans that canít feel pride in being one.
I AM A CELTIC

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 03:48:50 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
I heard a lyric on the radio today:

Deeply American, which is to say I'm deeply ashamed

Itís not clear to me what it means. Does it mean Ďashamed of Americaí? Thatís not clear. And is the songwriter singing in character, which is common?

Frankly, Iím glad to have compatriots who consider themselves Ďdeeply Americaní; if theyíre walking around being ashamed, well, too bad for them. But if theyíre being ashamed they might well be contributing to our future, since a great nation needs critics, and especially moral critics, people who stand for a better America. We need dissenters.

For whatever reason, that stuck with me. It seems like a lot of voters, particularly younger voters, buy into that sentiment. Meanwhile, a lot of older voters seem to buy into the idea of American exceptionalism and pride.

Thatís not what I see among young people generally, and decidedly not among younger voters.

The exceptionalism myth is profoundly anti-American, I think. The founders represented a range of views, but they did definitely not want to turn the country into a religion, which is what that boils down to. Claiming a divine status for your country is a peculiarly destructive delusion.

Where do you fall? 

Very proud. Proud of the idea of the USA. Proud of our unique and ever-renewing culture. Proud of our purple mountainsí majesty and our fruited plain. Proud of our inventors and entrepreneurs, who just keep on appearing, generation after generation. I could not have had the amazing life Iíve got in any other country on earth.

If you are not American, where does nationalism fall in your country?

Pride in your country does not make you a nationalist.

Is pride in oneís country a good thing, or some thing that belongs in the past?

Neither good nor bad, but natural. On the other hand, people mean some very different things when they refer to their country.

Is there a difference between pride in your country and pride in your heritage, if those are two separate things? Is either a good thing?

Certainly thereís a difference. An ancestor of mine fought at Bunker Hill, but even his father was an immigrant from England.  And again, itís neither good nor bad but natural.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so Iím definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 10:10:40 AM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I've always been very proud to be an American.  I will admit however,  the more knucklehead like behavior I see, hear, read from some Americans makes me want to distance myself from those types of Americans. I'm hoping to see/hear/read a lot less of that in the future without living in a blissful land full of denial, sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
   Weíll always find reasons to dislike eachother but when people are taught before they can even speak that certain things are absolutely immoral and the other political party completely disagrees is why NO compromise will exist for a looong time for people.

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2021, 03:14:23 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• Enes Kanter
  • Tommy Points: 22
It's refreshing to read much of the commentary in this thread because this is a grey issue which rarely gets treated as such. In my opinion, being ashamed of your country is as bad as being a knucklehead who believes your country has all the right answers.

I'm very proud of both Wales and Ireland. I think we do a lot of things very well and that we definitely punch well above our weight in a number of key areas. I would dearly love to see both fully independent and free and I am active in the struggle to gain this for both. In some other parts of the world I'd be in jail for that so that's certainly a positive, for me at least. Are we the greatest countries on Earth offering better opportunities than anywhere else? No. But then I don't believe such a country exists anywhere.

That said, both Wales and Ireland have their fair share of warts too. Racism, homophobia and other discriminations, although they perhaps don't make the news in the same way here as they do in other parts of the world, certainly exist. We are far too consumerist and individualist and looking after the poor comes far too far down the list of priorities here. Another issue is that whilst I'm a Republican (which means something very different here) and proudly so, that doesn't mean that I'm blind to certain atrocities which have been committed in the name of that cause both in Ireland and to a lesser extent Wales.

In my opinion, nationalism and patriotism are positive things. However, it depends on what kind of nationalism and patriotism. If you're a nationalist and a patriot in the vein of Wolfe Tone, Robert Emmett or James Connolly, that's one thing, if you're a patriot in the vein of Gemma O'Doherty (think a cheap and tacky version of Donald Trump) that's entirely another prospect. I would go so far as to say O'Doherty and her ilk are neither nationalist nor patriotic. If their version of things is truly the best they think their country deserves then they do it a disservice and are certainly of zero benefit.

In terms of military and veterans etc, being a Republican (Irish and Welsh) I would have a very different view. Put it this way, Ireland and Wales have been on the receiving end for the greatest part of their history so I would hope it's understandable why my opinion on this issue would be different. That said, I have an immense respect and admiration for those who laid down their lives for the causes of Irish and Welsh freedom so whilst I disagree, I can, perhaps with caution, understand.

Given that this is only my third post, I hope I haven't provoked anyone as that was certainly not my intention. I've tried to write what I've written respectfully but I was truly enthused to read much of the commentary here as this is an issue that has made the internet, forums and social media such toxic places so it is truly uplifting to read such balanced opinions as I've found here.

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 07:12:23 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Just heard Lady Gagaís rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at the inauguration.

Unexpectedly, I was moved to tears. It was as much, for me, the recollection of what our nation has been and stood for, and remains, despite the relentless degradations of the last few years - as it was Ms. Gagaís soul and artistry, which were astonishing. (I donít use that word lightly.)

By God I am proud today.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so Iím definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021