Author Topic: Are you proud to be an American ?  (Read 2816 times)

Are you proud to be an American ?
« on: November 10, 2020, 11:55:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27026
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I heard a lyric on the radio today:

Deeply American, which is to say I'm deeply ashamed

For whatever reason, that stuck with me. It seems like a lot of voters, particularly younger voters, buy into that sentiment. Meanwhile, a lot of older voters seem to buy into the idea of American exceptionalism and pride.

Where do you fall?  If you are not American, where does nationalism fall in your country? Is pride in oneís country a good thing, or some thing that belongs in the past? Is there a difference between pride in your country and pride in your heritage, if those are two separate things? Is either a good thing?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:06:02 PM by Roy H. »
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

Re: Are you proud to be an Ametican?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1378
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm not particularly proud, but I feel lucky to be an American. While the country has its flaws, it is a great place from which to be and I am happy to have grown up here.

I should note that I believe the idea of pride belongs to something you accomplish rather than how you were born. Like, I am proud of myself for putting in the work to be able to run marathons, but I am not particularly proud of being tall.

As the token gay guy on the site, I know that somebody will probably bring up gay pride in retaliation to my above argument. The idea of gay pride is more, "don't be ashamed of who you are," rather than, "I am so psyched because I am gay and you guys suck because you aren't."

I am not going to come down too hard on people who are proud of being American. But I sure as hell don't think conservatives who are flying flags all over the place deserve a place in line ahead of me as more American. That is just all flash and no substance. Try to be a good person and appreciate what you have, because others in this world have it much more difficult than we do by no fault of their own.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 12:15:24 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 438
Proud of America, Proud to be an American, just not proud of Donald Trump or "Trump-ism".  I would not go as far as "ashamed".

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 20
America is in many ways a good country. It could be a lot better.

Being firmly in the "left it" column of "love it or leave it", I'm exceptionally proud of some of the things it has done, and some of the things that it stands for. I am exceptionally saddened by others.

I might add that I'm not sure "being an American" means much more than "being a European", which doesn't mean a whole lot. The country's too big.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so muchóthe wheel, New York, wars and so onówhilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than manófor precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 12:20:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 412
I think America has its fair share of problems, and in some cases it dismays me. But the fact is I think America's path general bends towards justice, towards doing the right thing. Even if its slower than I would sometimes prefer. It feels like in my lifetime at least there's a greater recognition of the problems facing our country, and a greater willingness to tackle those problems. So I would say i feel proud that America is increasingly able to recognize its own failings, and I'm hopeful we can be better in the future because of it.

I think we sometimes get too reductive when talking about our country. Our country has done great things, its done horrible things. We have a racist history to deal with, and we've also been a refuge for tired masses of all colors yearning to be free. We've met many challenges, we've failed others. But we keep trying to be better, even if we get it wrong sometimes. I'm proud of that.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 12:45:26 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I heard a lyric on the radio today:

Deeply American, which is to say I'm deeply ashamed

For whatever reason, that stuck with me. It seems like a lot of voters, particularly younger voters, buy into that sentiment. Meanwhile, a lot of older voters seem to buy into the idea of American exceptionalism and pride.

Where do you fall?  If you are not American, where does nationalism fall in your country? Is pride in oneís country a good thing, or some thing that belongs in the past? Is there a difference between pride in your country and pride in your heritage, if those are two separate things? Is either a good thing?

Itís a tough question. I love America. I want to feel patriotic. Iím agnostic so Iím not somebody who feels ď thank god ď exactly but I feel incredibly lucky to be here. I could grow up starving or in a war torn country.. I certainly feel better about it since the election. Iím not a dem or republican . Definitely socially liberal. Believe a great deal of people would be actually fine with an election being stolen if it wasnít revealed and benefited them. I donít think this happened in this case though and I think Trump is extremely dangerous right now undermining things with no evidence to come close to changing anything. Just accusations.
  I think this is the first political post Iíve ever done. I like to stay out mostly and cast my vote . But I genuinely believe Trump WOULD take the country down before himself. I donít think that of any other Republican for a second. Canít have this. Just my opinion.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 12:52:57 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Bill Walton
Iím glad that we are in so much better shape than other places but Iím sad that we donít really care about the poor. Even veterans that have lost limbs. Itís embarrassing to me that the middle class is mentioned all over. The poor? Not so much.
  I think Bill Maher can be a jerk but I loved a quote I saw where he said ď if you ignore everything jesus taught then youíre not a follower. Youíre a fan.Ē It was pointed at Republicans but I thought of whole country. Weíre greedy and selfish. I love the life Iím allowed to leave. Iím soo proud of the people that protect us in the military. Iím so grateful. Thank you thank you. But we ignore people who need help. Ok with people not getting medicine they need. The homeless arenít voting though.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 01:12:18 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 114
I am youngish, 27, and there is no other country I would rather live in than the United States of America. The opportunity this country creates is far better than anywhere in the world. However, how can I be proud of my country when there are significant parts of our population that feel unwelcome here? If black and brown skinned people are afraid of the police, why would I not believe them? If members of the LGBTQ community feels discriminated against, who am I to say differently? If women want to be seen as equal to men, I agree.

I don't feel like I can be a proud American until all of our fellow countrymen and countrywomen feel safe, welcomed, and belonging to this country.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 01:16:15 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 143
Always proud!!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 01:22:33 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 663
I am proud to be an American but I am not proud of the hypocrisy of both sides.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 01:22:59 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Bill Walton
Always proud!!!!

I think all of us are proud of much of our country.  I always support the right to honor or not honor the flag, the country  etc.. but Iíd think if youíre at a game and say they start the anthem and you donít want to stand up but then beside you is a young woman whoís in uniform and she had a prosthetic arm and leg . Do you still not stand? Do you stick to your beliefs ? Or do you make an exception? Iíd think so. But can see how these things bring terrible hurt feelings.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 01:24:04 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Bill Walton
Whoops that meant to be a general reply. My bad.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 01:25:33 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 191
Overall yes but the fact that we can do much better sticks with me.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 01:44:46 PM »

Offline gift

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 232
I'm very thankful to be an American. I'm not sure that I'm proud, particularly, but not ashamed either. But definitely thankful.

Re: Are you proud to be an American ?
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 02:07:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
  • 2021 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Indiana Pacers
Absolutely.

Just not the America that Trump peddles.
2021 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Indiana Pacers:
C- Marc Gasol(16-17)Jeff Ruland(83-84)Theo Ratliff(00-01)
PF- Dan Roundfield(79-80)Paul Milsap(14-15)Dino Radja(95-96)
SF- Dan Marjerle(92-93)Rashard Lewis(08-09)Jalen Rose(99-00)
SG- Reggie Lewis(91-92)World B. Free(78-79)Dell Curry(93-94)
PG- Steve Nash(05-06)Fat Lever(87-88)Tony Allen(12-13)