Author Topic: Pres Trump & Melania contract covid  (Read 13332 times)

Re: Pres Trump & Melania contract covid
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2020, 05:44:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1312
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds precautionary at the moment.
That's the story but it is hard to imagine Trump going to the hospital as a precaution.  That doesn't fit his persona. 

I certainly wouldn't go to the hospital as a precaution.  If you want to stay healthy, stay away from hospitals.  My father went to the hospital for a heart attack and came out with a colostomy.

Sure but you're also not President of the United States.   Like him or hate him, this isn't a normal citizen we're talking about here.

No idea if its precautionary or not but surrounding the president with top notch medical care is probably a smart move given the importance of his position.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2020, 05:57:36 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 474
That's the story but it is hard to imagine Trump going to the hospital as a precaution.  That doesn't fit his persona. 

I certainly wouldn't go to the hospital as a precaution.  If you want to stay healthy, stay away from hospitals.  My father went to the hospital for a heart attack and came out with a colostomy.

Sure but you're also not President of the United States.   Like him or hate him, this isn't a normal citizen we're talking about here.

No idea if its precautionary or not but surrounding the president with top notch medical care is probably a smart move given the importance of his position.
He was surrounded by top notch medical care in the White House.  Apparently they've already decided he's going to be at Walter Reed for several days.  Maybe it is a smart move for a President but since when does Trump take smart advice from medical professionals? 

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2020, 06:09:49 PM »

Offline Erik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 200
  • The voice of reason

He was surrounded by top notch medical care in the White House.  Apparently they've already decided he's going to be at Walter Reed for several days.  Maybe it is a smart move for a President but since when does Trump take smart advice from medical professionals?

::) Come on man

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 578
So is it still a "hoax"?

Debunked... from CNN, FactCheck & Snopes of all people (you know that's bad when they agree)
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/politics/joe-biden-campaign-ad-trump-coronavirus-hoax-fact-check/index.html

Full Speech:
"Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus -- you know that right? Coronavirus. They're politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, "How's President Trump doing?" They go, "Oh, not good, not good." They have no clue. They don't have any clue. They can't even count their votes in Iowa. They can't even count. No, they can't. They can't count their votes.
One of my people came up to me and said, "Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn't work out too well. They couldn't do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They'd been doing it since you got in." It's all turning. They lost. It's all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax."

The next day Trump was asked about this comment and tried to clarify what he said, claiming he was "referring to the action that [the Democrats] take to try and pin this on somebody, because we've done such a good job. The hoax is on them."

He's clearly calling them politicizing & criticizing his handling of it as the hoax.

My inference being all the people out there who having been calling this virus a hoax from the start. 

Now that the president has it, do they think its still a hoax?

Part of the problem is repeating this disinformation that the president called it a hoax. It's a double edged sword...while attempting to humiliate the president by taking his words out of context, those same dishonest people are empowering other people to believe that it is a non-existent virus. Those same people then get upset when Trump supporters say that the virus is a hoax.

No, I get upset when people call it a hoax because people are legitimately dying out there because of this awful disease.   I know that from firsthand.

If Trump getting sick actually convinces some of these people that its not a hoax, its a good thing.

So do I. Unfortunately there is a decent portion of Trump's supporters that are not very informed people. It's why I'm a bit upset when I see people/media credit Trump as calling it a hoax and the Biden campaign ad in the video repeating the disinformation. There's really no reason to egg those people on.

You're right about a lot of Trump supporters being uninformed, either willfully or unintentionally consuming the wrong type of information. You just have to look at the comments section of Fox News to see that a lot of people think it's a hoax, that it's a fake pandemic that the Deep State perpetrated on Trump, and that if you take out all the people who died of it who also had other illnesses the death toll would be 2,000 not 200,000.

Then again it's equally likely that many of those are Russian trolls, Chinese trolls or bored American trolls in their parents basements.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2020, 06:49:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27021
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Wouldn’t it be nice if Congress could take this moment of national concern and use it to pass a further relief bill?

Crazy talk, I know.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2020, 06:49:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1909

If it was precautionary wouldn't Melania go with him?  The WH said that she is having mild symptoms but will stay behind.  It is unclear what exactly is going on.

I don't think we know how serious this is yet.  There have been reports that he is fatigued, got a fever, had congestion, and has multiple risk factors.  Trump probably would do anything not to be hospitalized based on his character.

One thing - only thing - I am sure of is that information from the White House should be taken with a dose of doubt.  To be clear I absolutely think it’s possible that this is just precautionary, but you can’t know for sure and it’s wasted energy to speculate.

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2020, 06:52:17 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 566
Biden pulling all the negative advertisement in light of Trump's admittance to the hospital.

Classy move, but might be regretful if Trump is reelected or Pence steps in.

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2020, 06:58:38 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Wouldn’t it be nice if Congress could take this moment of national concern and use it to pass a further relief bill?

Crazy talk, I know.

Pretty sure a few effective ones have been proposed or even passed in the house, but they probably dont give rich folks enough money to get voted in the senate.

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2020, 07:01:43 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Don Nelson
In addition to the President and First Lady, Ronna McDaniel, the chairwoman of the RNC has tested positive, as has Mike Lee, of Utah, who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/rnc-chair-ronna-mcdaniel-and-senator-mike-lee-test-positive-for-coronavirus-following-trump-diagnosis/ar-BB19DJgt

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2020, 07:01:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1909
So is it still a "hoax"?

Debunked... from CNN, FactCheck & Snopes of all people (you know that's bad when they agree)
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/politics/joe-biden-campaign-ad-trump-coronavirus-hoax-fact-check/index.html

Full Speech:
"Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus -- you know that right? Coronavirus. They're politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, "How's President Trump doing?" They go, "Oh, not good, not good." They have no clue. They don't have any clue. They can't even count their votes in Iowa. They can't even count. No, they can't. They can't count their votes.
One of my people came up to me and said, "Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn't work out too well. They couldn't do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They'd been doing it since you got in." It's all turning. They lost. It's all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax."

The next day Trump was asked about this comment and tried to clarify what he said, claiming he was "referring to the action that [the Democrats] take to try and pin this on somebody, because we've done such a good job. The hoax is on them."

He's clearly calling them politicizing & criticizing his handling of it as the hoax.

My inference being all the people out there who having been calling this virus a hoax from the start. 

Part of the problem is repeating this disinformation that the president called it a hoax. It's a double edged sword...while attempting to humiliate the president by taking his words out of context, those same dishonest people are empowering other people to believe that it is a non-existent virus. Those same people then get upset when Trump supporters say that the virus is a hoax.

No, I get upset when people call it a hoax because people are legitimately dying out there because of this awful disease.   I know that from firsthand.

If Trump getting sick actually convinces some of these people that its not a hoax, its a good thing.

So do I. Unfortunately there is a decent portion of Trump's supporters that are not very informed people.
It's why I'm a bit upset when I see people/media credit Trump as calling it a hoax and the Biden campaign ad in the video repeating the disinformation. There's really no reason to egg those people on.

But is Trump an informed person?

Let me ask you - if you were president in the midst of a once a century pandemic, and you knew (which he does) that a portion of the population (and more importantly a portion that really listens to you) think that the pandemic is a hoax and there’s nothing to worry about, what would you do?   Would say everything’s ok, it’ll be to zero in a week?  Would you mock or minimize mask wearing? Would you talk almost exclusively about the good numbers going in the right direction?
Or.... might you at some point say “listen America THIS IS NO HOAX, take it seriously, follow the guidelines, don’t buy into tge idea that this isn’t real - it’s real”.

How would you address the hoax-sayers if you were an informed President?

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27021
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Crazy talk, I know.

Pretty sure a few effective ones have been proposed or even passed in the house, but they probably dont give rich folks enough money to get voted in the senate.

I think there are issues with the amount of pork in there.  I’d like to see the centrist version of the bill get a vote in both chambers.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2020, 07:08:15 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Don Nelson
So is it still a "hoax"?

Full Speech:

So do I. Unfortunately there is a decent portion of Trump's supporters that are not very informed people.
It's why I'm a bit upset when I see people/media credit Trump as calling it a hoax and the Biden campaign ad in the video repeating the disinformation. There's really no reason to egg those people on.

But is Trump an informed person?

Let me ask you - if you were president in the midst of a once a century pandemic, and you knew (which he does) that a portion of the population (and more importantly a portion that really listens to you) think that the pandemic is a hoax and there’s nothing to worry about, what would you do?   Would say everything’s ok, it’ll be to zero in a week?  Would you mock or minimize mask wearing? Would you talk almost exclusively about the good numbers going in the right direction?
Or.... might you at some point say “listen America THIS IS NO HOAX, take it seriously, follow the guidelines, don’t buy into tge idea that this isn’t real - it’s real”.

How would you address the hoax-sayers if you were an informed President?

The problem is he looks at everything through the lens of how his core supporters look at things. If his supporters started believing that the sky was green tomorrow he's the type of transactional guy that would start defending it and pushing it. It's also a vice versa thing - he tends to believe the types of things that they believe in. That's why they love him - and that's why he polarizes everyone else but that group. In a way he'd probably have been more suitable as a senator or a congressman - from those people you expect partisanship. From our Presidents we expect leadership - for all of us, not just those that voted for them.

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2020, 07:09:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 474
Biden pulling all the negative advertisement in light of Trump's admittance to the hospital.

Classy move, but might be regretful if Trump is reelected or Pence steps in.
Is stupidity a required trait for Democrats?  Trump isn't pulling all his negative advertising.  Trump has Covid.  He's not dead or on death's door at least according to what's been reported. 

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2020, 07:10:20 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Don Nelson
Looks like he can walk at least, which is a good thing. I'm not a fan of the President personally but I do hope he gets better.

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2020, 07:12:36 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Don Nelson
So apparently:

• He fell asleep on Air Force One on Wed
• They learned of Hope Hicks infection Thur
• Trump still went ahead with in-person fundraiser
• At event, he seemed lethargic
• Now has coldlike symptoms

Continuing with the fundraiser where he was exposed to over a hundred people was probably not the smartest thing in the world to do.