Author Topic: Ginsburg dies; Amy Coney Barrett nominated  (Read 14388 times)

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies; Supreme Court Vacancy
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2020, 06:18:03 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1856
Susan Collins makes it official:

"In order for the American people to have faith in their elected officials, we must act fairly and consistentlyóno matter which political party is in power. President Trump has the constitutional authority to make a nomination to fill the Supreme Court vacancy, and I would have no objection to the Senate Judiciary Committeeís beginning the process of reviewing his nomineeís credentials. Given the proximity of the presidential election, however, I do not believe that the Senate should vote on the nominee prior to the election. In fairness to the American people, who will either be re-electing the President or selecting a new one, the decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the President who is elected on November 3rd.Ē

Youíre going to lose regardless, Susan.

For whatever underlying reason, Iím glad she said it.

These prominent Republicans made pretty definitive statements theyíll need to walk back.  Not even in an equivalent timeframe 8 months before the election month timeframe but with only 45 days before the election.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/09/19/ruth-bader-ginsburg-nominee-republican-bts-vpx.cnn

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2020, 06:26:12 PM »

Offline coco

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
If you are a woman, minority, or within 20yrs of retirement; I canít understand why would you vote Republican

I'm sure many of those same people can't understand why you would vote the way you do.  Minorities, women, and 50-somethings aren't monolithic groups.

Yeah.. it must be nice to be able to decide what is best for over 50% of the population just by yourself.

Iím not a woman, but I am a minority and I will be retiring within 10 years... although Iíll be using my 401k and savings.

I lived within my means, worked hard and invested since I started working 15 years ago. Didnít blame others for my problems or disadvantages. First generation American.

I am also a minority. I saved too.  Investments a lot.  Engineering in Aeropace and Renewable Energy industry.  About 10 yrs for me as well.  Being working for about 35 years.  Like guns and also like single payer healthcare.

No one is asking for anything free.  Pay your taxes, stay out of trouble and live within your means.  Thatís me.

.... I am not an ideologue. Voted for both parties in the past.

Like I said, if youíre a woman  - you can thank that ďLiberalĒ judge RBG with that radical idea of equal pay.

If you are - say - Puerto Rican or Latino, you have to be crazy voting for Trump after his ďselling Puerto RicoĒ statement. Also, His refusal on denouncing certain white supremacy groups is also disturbing.

If you are closer to retirement and social safety nets are important to you;  right now only one party seems to be looking out for you. Nothing Mitch MConnell says sounds comforting about securing safety nets....just roll the tape.

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2020, 06:35:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27084
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
No one is asking for anything free.

You might not be, but plenty of folks are.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2020, 06:58:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
If you are a woman, minority, or within 20yrs of retirement; I canít understand why would you vote Republican

I'm sure many of those same people can't understand why you would vote the way you do.  Minorities, women, and 50-somethings aren't monolithic groups.

Yeah.. it must be nice to be able to decide what is best for over 50% of the population just by yourself.

Iím not a woman, but I am a minority and I will be retiring within 10 years... although Iíll be using my 401k and savings.

I lived within my means, worked hard and invested since I started working 15 years ago. Didnít blame others for my problems or disadvantages. First generation American.

Hey Erik - I agree you canít lump 1/2 the country into what they should do or way they should think based on their minority status or place in life.

But also, thereís judgement in your statement as well. There are many (I wonít get into personal details but could give you 2 profound situations in my family) have circumstances, that put all hard work, good planning, not blaming, sensible saving, in peril. There is a balance - striking the right balance is always a challengeó but presuming either that all people of a certain place in life should think/vote a certain way OR presuming that those who are in need are there because of a lack of responsibility, work ethic or planning are fraught with potentially mistaken judgement.

That said, I may well have misinterpreted your statement and if so I apologize.

« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
I really hate to say this, but if the senate pushing through nominee in any way hurts Trumpís re-election, I am ultimately ok with that trade off. Itís a huge pill to swallow - a 6-3 conservative majority, but I do think it takes a rather large worry off the table for borderline voters who were voting Trump almost solely for his possible impact on the Court. 

In other words, getting this last nominee might diminish some motivation for some Trump-weary or Trump-wary conservatives to get out and vote for him.

« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2020, 07:16:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I really hate to say this, but if the senate pushing through nominee in any way hurts Trumpís re-election, I am ultimately ok with that trade off. Itís a huge pill to swallow - a 6-3 conservative majority, but I do think it takes a rather large worry off the table for borderline voters who were voting Trump almost solely for his possible impact on the Court. 

In other words, getting this last nominee might diminish some motivation for some Trump-weary or Trump-wary conservatives to get out and vote for him.

For whatever it's worth, a confirmed nominee makes me much more likely to vote third party.  If the nominee's confirmation is pending, I'm going to vote Trump, and I can't imagine most conservatives wouldn't.  A 6th conservative vote -- meaning really, a 5th vote, as Roberts becomes more and more liberal -- is the brass ring so many conservatives have been striving for for years.

« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2020, 07:22:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1394

For whatever it's worth, a confirmed nominee makes me much more likely to vote third party.  If the nominee's confirmation is pending, I'm going to vote Trump, and I can't imagine most conservatives wouldn't.  A 6th conservative vote -- meaning really, a 5th vote, as Roberts becomes more and more liberal -- is the brass ring so many conservatives have been striving for for years.

a third party vote from you is a vote for Biden, you know that, right?

« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2020, 07:23:59 PM »

Offline coco

• Don Chaney

You might be right, but from my perspective:

I have been unemployed in the past.   It isnít pretty.  Especially when you have a family to feed.  Contrary to what some might want us believe; Unemployment money doesnít cover much.  You canít live on it.  You canít afford healthcare with it, you canít pay a mortgage with it.

Being unemployed itís the worst.  I am certain that the overwhelming majority of folks, rather have a job and pay their way.

« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2020, 07:28:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Tangent:  could Trump end up the most consequential one-term President of all-time?

If he gets a third conservative confirmed in one-term, that's gigantic.  Add to that his impact on the country (negative or positive), and I think he'll be remembered as impacting the country as much as any one-termer who was voted out of office.

I think JFK probably beats him out due to his enduring legacy; the hope and inspiration that JFK gave seems to have lasted generations, and his escalation of the Cold War / nuclear arms race / entry into Vietnam were certainly extraordinarily consequential.

It's weird to compare those two men; one with be remembered for being great and lifting us up; the other will be remembered for giving into our most base instincts and for dividing in an attempt to conquer. 

« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2020, 07:31:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I have been unemployed in the past.   It isnít pretty.  Especially when you have a family to feed.  Contrary to what some might want us believe; Unemployment money doesnít cover much.  You canít live on it.  You canít afford healthcare with it, you canít pay a mortgage with it.

Being unemployed itís the worst.  I am certain that the overwhelming majority of folks, rather have a job and pay their way.

The majority?  Yes.  But, I work with indigent criminal defendants every day.  Plenty of people have found a way to work the system, getting their rent, heating costs, health care, food, etc. paid for while contributing absolutely nothing to society.

« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2020, 07:42:20 PM »

Offline coco

• Don Chaney

The majority?  Yes.  But, I work with indigent criminal defendants every day.  Plenty of people have found a way to work the system, getting their rent, heating costs, health care, food, etc. paid for while contributing absolutely nothing to society.

That is true.  Good point.

Changing the subject; you have over 27000 TPs?  Wow!

« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2020, 07:43:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1531

Counter-acted by my third party vote that is somehow actually a vote for Trump?

How about if everybody voted third party?

I'm gonna have to ask you to vote for Jo Jorgensen. That'd be great. Thanks a bunch.

« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2020, 07:44:29 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
Tangent:  could Trump end up the most consequential one-term President of all-time?

If he gets a third conservative confirmed in one-term, that's gigantic.  Add to that his impact on the country (negative or positive), and I think he'll be remembered as impacting the country as much as any one-termer who was voted out of office.

I think JFK probably beats him out due to his enduring legacy; the hope and inspiration that JFK gave seems to have lasted generations, and his escalation of the Cold War / nuclear arms race / entry into Vietnam were certainly extraordinarily consequential.

It's weird to compare those two men; one with be remembered for being great and lifting us up; the other will be remembered for giving into our most base instincts and for dividing in an attempt to conquer.

Completely agree.  Trump's lying, conspiracy theory advocacy, disdain for media, etc. along with his gift for being able to sell his garbage to enough Americans to have created the current cultural battleground we are in, absolutely may make this presidency a historical marker.  Even without the long-term impact on the Supreme Court.

As a historical marker it could actually prove to be either the point at which we truly feel apart as a nation, or, it could prove to be a moment of reckoning where important issues and emotions were brought to fore and finally dealt with.   Obviously, this would only be an inadvertent credit to Trump, but could be the reality.   

Another retrospective might be that he'll rival Herbert Hoover ("a chicken in every pot") as having the most under-achieved campaign theme of all time.

« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2020, 08:28:42 PM »

Offline Erik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 200
  • The voice of reason

Thereís always a leftist minefield that can be stopped with a republican president. For example, theyíre talking about changing the number of justices to some arbitrary number and having Joe Biden pick extras.

« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2020, 08:42:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Counter-acted by my third party vote that is somehow actually a vote for Trump?

How about if everybody voted third party?

I'm gonna have to ask you to vote for Jo Jorgensen. That'd be great. Thanks a bunch.

Sorry, but no. You are a libertarian your third party vote is a third party vote.