Author Topic: Ginsburg dies; Amy Coney Barrett confirmed  (Read 26657 times)

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies; Supreme Court Vacancy
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2020, 10:44:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
the Democrats seem defeated on this issue. So sad, such a weak party. They know what is coming. Trump will nominate a conservative to Justice Ginsburg's seat. The Republicans that truncated Merrick Garland's nomination will confirm.

The truth is Trump has right to nominate. Any Democrat that argued that Obama had the right to a vote on Garland but  now argues Trump does have the right to an up or down vote on his nominee is a hypocrite, driven by politics and devoid of moral clarity.

What really needs to be done is a reformation of the Apex Court. No institution should be as powerful as the SCOTUS.

Sort of.  Itís important to note that Scalia died in February.  There would have been almost a full year on the court and most certainly would not have been confirmed by a lame duck Senate.  The degree of hypocrisy is certainly mitigated by her death being 6 weeks prior to the election.

And the republican hypocrisy would be likewise exacerbated.

I agree but I am not intersted in relativism. A president's term ends the January after election not the February before election or the September before election. There is no Scalia seat on the Court like the Republicans argued. That was nonsense. The Dems let them get away with it. Just because they were and are weak does not mean the Republicans owe them anything.

They don't owe them the honor of their word?

There was no agreement.

Well, no I guess they didn't draw out a contract and pinky-swear, but ol LG that sassy rebel he is, he said this a few times:

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2020, 10:45:36 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1324
A conservative appointee would at least trump the newly alt-left John Roberts' vote.

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2020, 10:48:08 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 911
If the GOP hypocritically pushes a nominee through after what they did to Merrick Garland there will be no peace. We will literally be on the brink of another civil war.

This is the absolute worst thing that could have happened to America right now. The GOP has a chance to extend an olive branch and show they still care about our democracy and the Constitution. I hope they make the right choice.

They will make the same choice that Democrats would make in the reverse situation.

No, I don't think there is any vague equivalenve between the parties at this point. Your party is deep in bed with Trump. Own it.

Liberals aren't going to lay down and take this. Either make it right or there will be a big problem. This isn't a game. People are at their limit.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  If the Republican party was deep in bed with Trump, how would that make them any less despicable than the left?

My point is that the GOP - led by Trump and McConnell - have taken a sledgehammer to democracy, and the powder keg is ready to blow.

This is my experience down on the ground. Conservatives are not understanding how angry the left is about these last few years.

Political parties are like feuding parents. There is only so far you can gaslight and antagonize until it reaches a point of no return. The kids always lose when the parents cannot maintain civility. In this case the child is America's Future.

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2020, 10:51:44 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 474
In July, Senator Grassley stated he'd personally oppose filling a vacant supreme court seat before the election. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/grassley-supreme-court-seat-should-be-left-open-until-after-election-if-vacant-in-2020/ar-BB16Szg2 

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2020, 10:53:36 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 911
Murkowski and Collins have indicated they wonít vote to confirm anybody before inauguration.  That means thereís a very small margin of error here.

They probably lose Romney too... does that spell doom?

Yeah I can't see Romney voting to confirm whoever Trump nominates at this stage of the game.

Hopefully enough in the GOP realize that maintaining some semblance of fairness and keeping the country stable is far more important than gaining a false political win.

Because nobody will win if the USA sinks to third-world status.

A tad bit dramatic.

I don't think so. Turkey destabilized very quickly under a sneaky despot in Erdogan. We're seeing the same here. Protests and riots gave been the second-biggest story of the year, trailing only covid.  Already they are gathering outside the court.

Things can get much, much worse.

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2020, 10:54:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 474
If the GOP hypocritically pushes a nominee through after what they did to Merrick Garland there will be no peace. We will literally be on the brink of another civil war.

This is the absolute worst thing that could have happened to America right now. The GOP has a chance to extend an olive branch and show they still care about our democracy and the Constitution. I hope they make the right choice.

They will make the same choice that Democrats would make in the reverse situation.

No, I don't think there is any vague equivalenve between the parties at this point. Your party is deep in bed with Trump. Own it.

Liberals aren't going to lay down and take this. Either make it right or there will be a big problem. This isn't a game. People are at their limit.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  If the Republican party was deep in bed with Trump, how would that make them any less despicable than the left?

My point is that the GOP - led by Trump and McConnell - have taken a sledgehammer to democracy, and the powder keg is ready to blow.

This is my experience down on the ground. Conservatives are not understanding how angry the left is about these last few years.

Political parties are like feuding parents. There is only so far you can gaslight and antagonize until it reaches a point of no return. The kids always lose when the parents cannot maintain civility. In this case the child is America's Future.
The left is incompetent.  What are they going to do stamp their feet and say it is not fair? 

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2020, 10:56:22 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 235

The left is incompetent.  What are they going to do stamp their feet and say it is not fair?

I mean RGB shouldíve retired around the end of Obamaís term so he can find a replacement. Itís sad that sheís gone but this was a failure on her and the Democrats.

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2020, 10:57:11 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 412
Basically the republicans can only afford three defections, it appears there are at least two in Murkowski and Collins. Romney is a possibility given that he's already signaled his willing to buck trump. Grassley is on record saying he would oppose moving forward in this case, but politicians have a pattern of changing their minds when actually given an opportunity.

If it goes forward Democrats will have to consider court packing in the future, you can't keep letting the Republican party play by one set of morally bankrupt rules and not do anything about it.

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2020, 10:59:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1457
What specifically ?

Itís going to go off topic, but itís more of an indication of how far the left has gone. Curious to know what positions I have that you view far right.

I would put you on the right of the political spectrum, not far right but right.

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2020, 11:06:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1457
Murkowski and Collins have indicated they wonít vote to confirm anybody before inauguration.  That means thereís a very small margin of error here.

Yeah I can't see Romney voting to confirm whoever Trump nominates at this stage of the game.

Hopefully enough in the GOP realize that maintaining some semblance of fairness and keeping the country stable is far more important than gaining a false political win.

Because nobody will win if the USA sinks  rises  to third-world status.

there fixed that for you.

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2020, 11:07:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
What specifically ?

Itís going to go off topic, but itís more of an indication of how far the left has gone. Curious to know what positions I have that you view far right.

A conservative appointee would at least trump the newly alt-left John Roberts' vote.

the juxtaposition between these two comments is kind of funny to me.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2020, 11:09:07 PM »

Offline Erik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 200
  • The voice of reason
Makes sense from your perspective . Itís probably because I only comment on stuff that this left leaning blog p---es me off about :D

I think youíd be surprised at how many left leaning positions I have that I agree with you guys about but just donít post since youíve got it covered.

Thatís why I call myself a centrist. I think a lot about each issue and make a decision, so I donít have a predictable ideology. Itís about down the line as you can get.

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2020, 11:11:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1383
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I mean RGB shouldíve retired around the end of Obamaís term so he can find a replacement. Itís sad that sheís gone but this was a failure on her and the Democrats.

Yeah, because that worked so well in the case of Scalia. If by the end of Obama's term, you mean 2013, then sure; but Obama had 11 months left before his term ended and he got totally railroaded.

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2020, 11:12:14 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1324

Because nobody will win if the USA sinks to third-world status.

A tad bit dramatic.

I don't think so. Turkey destabilized very quickly under a sneaky despot in Erdogan. We're seeing the same here. Protests and riots gave been the second-biggest story of the year, trailing only covid.  Already they are gathering outside the court.

Things can get much, much worse.

A sledgehammer to democracy?  The right wants less government, not more.  And for all the Hitler/Nazi talk, Trump has been criticized most for not taking enough action with COVID-19. 

I think conservatives are well aware of the left's anger.  What I don't think is clear is why the left is so angry.

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2020, 11:14:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1383
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
What specifically ?

the juxtaposition between these two comments is kind of funny to me.

John Roberts voted to allow gay people to not be fired from their jobs for being gay. That was a totally audacious move - obviously a far-left loon  ::)