Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 121087 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2020, 06:32:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Quote from: gouki88
I think Avdija has a floor that most likely pans out as that Batum-like 15-5-5 guy, but I think his ceiling is a Hayward/Hedo blend of All-Star level playmaking wing play.
I actually think his floor is way lower than that. Let's say Omri Casspi vol 2 (better passer than Casspi, worse shooter). Prime Batum was a 2-way player, whereas Avdija projects to be a way below average on-ball defender.

Not a big fan of Okongwu's game either. Personally speaking, I'd rather have Achiuwa over Okongwu.

If we were to trade up, my target would be Haliburton.
I don't agree with that at all about Avdija on defence. He has elite verticality, is a good team and help defender and recovers really well when beat. Once he adds some strength he'll be fine. I also remember Jayson Tatum being drafted with on-ball defence being a considerable criticism of his, and he's panned out pretty decently. He'll never be the wing defender that other guys in this draft are, but he's not bad by any means
I guess time will tell.

If you ask me, I'd rather have Saddiq Bey. He can do everything Avdija does on offense, plus he projects to be a better defender.

Since we are talking about wings, gimme Vassell + Nesmith over Avdija as well. Not the same type of players compared to Avdija, but imo they both have a considerably higher floor.
Bey is not even close to the playmaker Avdija is. Worlds apart. Bey plays offence like Tobias Harris does (or did when he was young) to my eye.

I like Nesmith's chance of being an NBA success. Elite JJ Reddick-like offensive player under Stackhouse, who had them running some advanced level stuff. Lots of elevator screens which is exciting. His ability to use screens is way beyond his years. I do have concerns over his absolute lack of displayed playmaking ability and injury worries.

I don't mind Vassell either, but his scoring profile is really nothing that excites me. I'd rather Josh Green, as he projects to be similarly elite defensively and will like be available lower than Vassell

I was high on Nesmith until recently when I listened to Max Carlin pray the Celtics don't draft him at 14.   Feels we need a guy who can create off dribble, and that Nesmith cannot. His shooting is elite, though.  I could see him as a Buddy Heild/Dale Ellis type to get us some efficient 3 point buckets off the bench.  Not sure if he would project as a starter; it depends on how he turns out defensively. The length is there for sure.

Interesting to read your take on Vassell vs Green. I will look at more tape on Green.  I like Vassell a lot, and could see him fitting very well into Brad's system.  Would you consider taking Green at 14?
Yeah, Nesmith would probably struggle to crack our starting lineup long-term. I can easily see guys like Achiuwa or Kira Lewis starting for us one day - not so easy with Nesmith.

14 might be too high for Green. He’s more of a 1-3 defender than a 2-4 defender, but some of his reflexive defensive plays are hard to comprehend! Like he’s reading their mind.

https://youtu.be/uhsQWjIbgoI

His defensive highlights begin at the 4:45 mark, his ability to close out aggressively while staying in front of his man and not over committing is superb. If he’s available at 26 (and my guy Paul Reed isn’t) I’d take a flyer

why would Nesmith struggle?

He would fit in nicely. 6'5 with 6'10 wingspan.  Versatile.   One of the best 3 pt shooters of the draft.  He doesn't need to create his own shot. But can help open the floor

There is no guarantee that Hayward stays long term.  Nor Marcus Smart.
I just don't think he has the skills Stevens likes in his starters, which typically are good team defenders, passers, or having the ability to create one's own shot. Nesmith is an alright team defender, but he's a woeful passer and struggles to create his own offence sometimes.

I also think that the likelihood of Smart leaving is right around 1%
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2020, 07:35:59 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I think Avdija has a floor that most likely pans out as that Batum-like 15-5-5 guy, but I think his ceiling is a Hayward/Hedo blend of All-Star level playmaking wing play.
I actually think his floor is way lower than that. Let's say Omri Casspi vol 2 (better passer than Casspi, worse shooter). Prime Batum was a 2-way player, whereas Avdija projects to be a way below average on-ball defender.

Not a big fan of Okongwu's game either. Personally speaking, I'd rather have Achiuwa over Okongwu.

I don't agree with that at all about Avdija on defence. He has elite verticality, is a good team and help defender and recovers really well when beat. Once he adds some strength he'll be fine. I also remember Jayson Tatum being drafted with on-ball defence being a considerable criticism of his, and he's panned out pretty decently. He'll never be the wing defender that other guys in this draft are, but he's not bad by any means
I guess time will tell.

If you ask me, I'd rather have Saddiq Bey. He can do everything Avdija does on offense, plus he projects to be a better defender.

Since we are talking about wings, gimme Vassell + Nesmith over Avdija as well. Not the same type of players compared to Avdija, but imo they both have a considerably higher floor.
Bey is not even close to the playmaker Avdija is. Worlds apart. Bey plays offence like Tobias Harris does (or did when he was young) to my eye.

I like Nesmith's chance of being an NBA success. Elite JJ Reddick-like offensive player under Stackhouse, who had them running some advanced level stuff. Lots of elevator screens which is exciting. His ability to use screens is way beyond his years. I do have concerns over his absolute lack of displayed playmaking ability and injury worries.

I don't mind Vassell either, but his scoring profile is really nothing that excites me. I'd rather Josh Green, as he projects to be similarly elite defensively and will like be available lower than Vassell

I was high on Nesmith until recently when I listened to Max Carlin pray the Celtics don't draft him at 14.   Feels we need a guy who can create off dribble, and that Nesmith cannot. His shooting is elite, though.  I could see him as a Buddy Heild/Dale Ellis type to get us some efficient 3 point buckets off the bench.  Not sure if he would project as a starter; it depends on how he turns out defensively. The length is there for sure.

Interesting to read your take on Vassell vs Green. I will look at more tape on Green.  I like Vassell a lot, and could see him fitting very well into Brad's system.  Would you consider taking Green at 14?
Yeah, Nesmith would probably struggle to crack our starting lineup long-term. I can easily see guys like Achiuwa or Kira Lewis starting for us one day - not so easy with Nesmith.

14 might be too high for Green. He’s more of a 1-3 defender than a 2-4 defender, but some of his reflexive defensive plays are hard to comprehend! Like he’s reading their mind.

His defensive highlights begin at the 4:45 mark, his ability to close out aggressively while staying in front of his man and not over committing is superb. If he’s available at 26 (and my guy Paul Reed isn’t) I’d take a flyer

He would fit in nicely. 6'5 with 6'10 wingspan.  Versatile.   One of the best 3 pt shooters of the draft.  He doesn't need to create his own shot. But can help open the floor

I just don't think he has the skills Stevens likes in his starters, which typically are good team defenders, passers, or having the ability to create one's own shot. Nesmith is an alright team defender, but he's a woeful passer and struggles to create his own offence sometimes.

I really don't see why Nemsith would struggle to become a starter for the C's. We can't have 5 alphas in our starting lineup. There won't be enough shots for everybody and we'll end up a dysfunctional team, like we were last season. Nesmith is perfectly happy to play off the ball. He'd be a nice fit next to 2 dynamic wings in Tatum + Brown.

Smart - Nesmith - Brown - Tatum - Timelord

I think this would be a perfectly functional future lineup.

• Smart + Timelord are good passers at their position.
  • Tatum + Brown can create their own shot.
  • Nesmith + Tatum + Brown can stretch the floor.
  • All 5 guys are good team defenders.

That being said, I'd rather have Saddiq Bey. He can do everything Nesmith does, plus he's an above average passer + ball handler at his position.

« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2020, 07:48:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I guess time will tell.

I really don't see why Nemsith would struggle to become a starter for the C's. We can't have 5 alphas in our starting lineup. There won't be enough shots for everybody and we'll end up a dysfunctional team, like we were last season. Nesmith is perfectly happy to play off the ball. He'd be a nice fit next to 2 dynamic wings in Tatum + Brown.

Smart - Nesmith - Brown - Tatum - Timelord

I think this would be a perfectly functional future lineup.

• Smart + Timelord are good passers at their position.
  • Tatum + Brown can create their own shot.
  • Nesmith + Tatum + Brown can stretch the floor.
  • All 5 guys are good team defenders.

That being said, I'd rather have Saddiq Bey. He can do everything Nesmith does, plus he's an above average passer + ball handler at his position.
I'd rather sacrifice the slight shooting difference in favour of better passers and guys with more defensive versatility, like the two Bey's. I just don't see Nesmith as having a particularly high ceiling.

Considering the crazy lack of consensus with who is going where the 14th pick could really be anybody. It's exciting for me personally, as a draft tragic. I think there'll be lots of decent players picked in this draft (no All-NBA calibre guys like the last two drafts)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2020, 10:39:43 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Aaron Nesmith is, from what he showed in the short time this past season, a very good 3-point shooter. That has a lot of value to teams and especially to Boston who don't have that presence right now (it's why DA wanted Herro last draft) on the bench. I don't think anyone expects anyone from this draft to come in and start so worrying about his defense with the starters is not something to consider for at least two years. I also think Nesmith is best suited to come off the bench long term so there's that.

« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2020, 04:40:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223
I take:

14: Desmond Bane. I like him as a spark plug off the bench. You can't have too many shooters. A reach at 14 but I like his game and I'm sure he'll be gone by 26. I have seen Bane going at 26 in a mock draft and even seen ones where he drops to the second round. If Danny can pick him up later all the better.

26: Jaden McDaniels or Jalen Smith if available. Both long shooters. Both projects.

30: Paul Reed. Sleeper big man that will be a steal this late. I like Paul Reed a lot.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 02:57:52 AM by liam »

« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2020, 07:46:58 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
At 14 I'd probably just go with who ever is the best wing left on the board at that point, ideally one a little bigger like 6'7 or 6'8 after taking the 6'4 Langford last year. Sadiq Bey seems ideal to me, likely wont be a star but the C's have stars what they need is a eventual hayward replacement. I'd also be fine with Vassell or Okoro, but both are likely off the board.  Nesmith for shooting or Williams for his size against 3/4 types also fine.

If you arent going wing go upside with a guy like Poku.

« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2020, 07:10:56 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
At 14, I like Tyrell Terry who is a true PG with very good playmaking skills, leadership ability and shot creation from the long range. Another player I like, if we're going for upside, would be tall combo guard Leandro Bolmaro.  Has very good motor, foot work (I guess he might have started with football in Argentina before shifting to basketball) and court vision, patient in reading and attacking defense against him and with respectable shooting (here is where he could hone further).

For 26 and 30. I like the games of Tyler Bey, Jay McDaniels, Vernon Carey, Paul Reed (probably a very good reliever  for - eventually a PF alongside? - Tatum) and Steven Enoch (a good pick-up at 2nd round). 

« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 622
I take:

14: Desmond Bane. I like him as a spark plug off the bench. You can't have too many shooters. A reach at 14 but I like his game and I'm sure he'll be gone by 26. I have seen Bane going at 26 in a mock draft and even seen ones where he drops to the second round. If Danny can pick him up later all the better.

26: Jaden McDaniels or Jalen Smith if available. Both long shooters. Both projects.

30: Paul Reed. Sleeper big man that will be a steal this late. I like Paul Reed a lot.

That Paul Reed stroke  ;D ;D ;D
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2020, 01:05:33 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Speaking of Reed

A lot of mocks have my favorites gone by 14, including P. Wiliams and Saddiq Bey, whom I'd prefer over Nesmith.  So then sicne the others are gone Nesmith seems like a good choice at 14...

But, then I think, we have Romeo, an excellent defender whose offense should come around nicely, so why settle for a wing (nesmith)who's not as good as Vassell?  So if you want to take Nesmith for the elite shooting, then I say why not take Tyrell Terry instead?  He'd be great next to Smart.  Then Paul Reed at 26.  And a hulk at 30.

So, if no trade for Okongwu, etc. how about:

14. Terry- not just a shooter...quite a passer too.  If Cole Anthony projects as better than Terry...ok instead.
26.  Reed
30. Azubuike/Stewart/Tillman/Carey...or if not a big, then Ramsey or Poku at 30...longer term develpment.

Maybe could package Carsen or Waters, plus Poirier and Green to Dallas for a future second round pick?

Down the Road a couple years post Hayward or older Hayward:

Kemba, Terry, Smart
Brown, Smart, Romeo
Tatum, Brown, Romeo
Reed, Tatum, Hayward/G. Williams, etc..
R. Williams/Theis/Kanter, Azubuike

If Hayward will be here another 3 or 4 years...I'd like to see him off the bench at some point:

The Reed thing is about defense....

this is another Paul Reed approved post....

« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2020, 02:18:57 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Speaking of Reed

A lot of mocks have my favorites gone by 14, including P. Wiliams and Saddiq Bey, whom I'd prefer over Nesmith.  So then sicne the others are gone Nesmith seems like a good choice at 14...

But, then I think, we have Romeo, an excellent defender whose offense should come around nicely, so why settle for a wing (nesmith)who's not as good as Vassell?  So if you want to take Nesmith for the elite shooting, then I say why not take Tyrell Terry instead?  He'd be great next to Smart.  Then Paul Reed at 26.  And a hulk at 30.

14. Terry- not just a shooter...quite a passer too.  If Cole Anthony projects as better than Terry...ok instead.
26.  Reed
30. Azubuike/Stewart/Tillman/Carey...or if not a big, then Ramsey or Poku at 30...longer term develpment.

Maybe could package Carsen or Waters, plus Poirier and Green to Dallas for a future second round pick?

Kemba, Terry, Smart
Brown, Smart, Romeo
Tatum, Brown, Romeo

If Hayward will be here another 3 or 4 years...I'd like to see him off the bench at some point:

14 too high to take Terry.  6'2", not long, 160 lbs, not athletic; not very fast release on J; I think he will struggle in the NBA.  I would consider him 26/30 but certainly not at 14.

« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2020, 06:22:41 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Speaking of Reed

26.  Reed

Kemba, Terry, Smart
Brown, Smart, Romeo
Tatum, Brown, Romeo

14 too high to take Terry.  6'2", not long, 160 lbs, not athletic; not very fast release on J; I think he will struggle in the NBA.  I would consider him 26/30 but certainly not at 14.

Could be...

I feel this draft is trickier at 14 than 13...unless the C's really like more than one of Achiuwa, Nesmith, Bey and the PG group.... then 14 verse 13 is nothing to fret over....

For me, Bey stands out as the most desirable of the leftovers....but who knows the C's may have one or more point guards, or Achiuwa, ahead of him.

« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2020, 07:26:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223
Speaking of Reed

26.  Reed

Kemba, Terry, Smart
Brown, Smart, Romeo
Tatum, Brown, Romeo

Could be...

I feel this draft is trickier at 14 than 13...unless the C's really like more than one of Achiuwa, Nesmith, Bey and the PG group.... then 14 verse 13 is nothing to fret over....

For me, Bey stands out as the most desirable of the leftovers....but who knows the C's may have one or more point guards, or Achiuwa, ahead of him.

I love the phrase: " Most desirable of the left overs". It discribes the whole draft.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:37:43 PM by liam »

« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »

Offline kjstark23

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 1

« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2020, 03:32:11 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Question about possible trade with Dallas.

How many of you draft niks have two or more players you would tolerate or even be happy about at 14.

For no good reason other than Celtics fit, I have become intolerant of Nesmith at that pick (with one caveat which is if Hayward is gone by choice or trade...but this post assumes we keep Hayward...so in that case no Nesmith).

So my wanted are Vassell or Patrick Williams and my tolerated/happy about are S. Bey or Achiuwa.
But there's a chance all 4 of them are gone before 14, which brings me to the point of this thread.

If your guy/s are not their at 14, would you trade 14 and 47 for 18 and 31?  I would.

At 18 take Maxey or Kira Lewis or Tyler Terry...or Hampton...one would be there.
Then there is 26, 30 and 31.  31 is a big time improvement over 47 in this draft (and most).  Back to back picks is just really a lot of fun too..hehe.

I would think Dallas would do this as Cuban surely has a guy he'd want at 14.  Nesmith for example.

« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2020, 03:59:59 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'm probably a bit higher on Cole Anthony than everyone else on here. I think his skill set will translate much better than it did in college, where the spacing was awful and perimeter offense (other than Cole Anthony) was severely lacking. I think Anthony has the talent to be a scorer in the NBA, he just needs some guidance to help him put it all together, and I believe Brad is the perfect coach for that.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum