Example one of Congress being broken: the relief Bill that was passed that includes billions in pork and international money
Example two: the House passed $2000 direct payments by a more than 2/3 margin. At least 5 Republicans, and presumably all Dems, are in favor. McConnell won’t commit to a vote.
The leadership in both houses has way too much power.
Actually the Relief Bill does not include foreign money, that rumor started from people pulling line items off the larger Spending Bill that passed at the same time. THAT bill includes foreign aid, spending bills almost always do.
Here's a breakdown of the Relief Bill:
• $325 billion in aid to small businesses (includes Paycheck Protection Program)
• $120 billion for unemployment assistance ($300 a week for 11 weeks)
• $82 billion for education (such as K-12 education grants)
• $56 billion for health care (includes funding for states to do COVID-19 testing)
• $45 billion for transportation (includes payroll support program for airline workers)
• $83 billion for other spending (such as rental assistance, nutrition programs)
• $40 billion for other tax cuts (such as the Extend and Expand Employee Retention Tax Credit)