Author Topic: Congress Is Broken  (Read 9013 times)

Re: Congress Is Broken
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2020, 03:14:38 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 412
Example one of Congress being broken:  the relief Bill that was passed that includes billions in pork and international money

Example two:  the House passed $2000 direct payments by a more than 2/3 margin.  At least 5 Republicans, and presumably all Dems, are in favor.  McConnell won’t commit to a vote. 

The leadership in both houses has way too much power.

Actually the Relief Bill does not include foreign money, that rumor started from people pulling line items off the larger Spending Bill that passed at the same time. THAT bill includes foreign aid, spending bills almost always do.

Here's a breakdown of the Relief Bill:

• $325 billion in aid to small businesses (includes Paycheck Protection Program)
• $120 billion for unemployment assistance ($300 a week for 11 weeks)
• $82 billion for education (such as K-12 education grants)
• $56 billion for health care (includes funding for states to do COVID-19 testing)
• $45 billion for transportation (includes payroll support program for airline workers)
• $83 billion for other spending (such as rental assistance, nutrition programs)
• $40 billion for other tax cuts (such as the Extend and Expand Employee Retention Tax Credit)

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »

Offline coco

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 123
Make gerrymandering illegal and put term limits on members of Congress;  I think that would make them more receptive and hopefully more moderate.

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2021, 01:55:28 PM »

Online ozgod

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 572
Make gerrymandering illegal and put term limits on members of Congress;  I think that would make them more receptive and hopefully more moderate.

I think gerrymandering to make liberal areas more liberal and conservative areas more conservative is one of the main reasons for the dysfunction, because the politicians that are elected from those areas have zero reason to compromise with folks that their constituents see as "the enemy". In fact, any attempt at compromise is viewed by their constituents as weakness. They want their representatives to dig in no matter the cost. So you get folks who are unwilling to reach across the aisle, and they get rewarded for their intransigence by getting re-elected over and over again. The only way to dislodge them is to be even more left/right wing than they are.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2021, 04:12:16 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1909

I’ve never been totally convinced that term limits will have a big impact.  There’s something to be said for gaining knowledge and experience over time and it takes a while in any job. But I could go along with it - just not sure about the benefit.

As far as gerrymandering goes, end it.  Redistrict immediately based primarily on party neutral geographical rules.   

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2021, 05:05:08 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 234
Example one of Congress being broken:  the relief Bill that was passed that includes billions in pork and international money

Example two:  the House passed $2000 direct payments by a more than 2/3 margin.  At least 5 Republicans, and presumably all Dems, are in favor.  McConnell won’t commit to a vote. 

The leadership in both houses has way too much power.

But of course they have plenty of money for the military and bailing out corporates.