Author Topic: Naked Woman stares down police in Portland. This is amazing!  (Read 2128 times)

Re: Naked Woman stares down police in Portland. This is amazing!
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2020, 02:57:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27133
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wall-of-moms-portland-oregon_n_5f15a73ac5b6cec246c5990e

Are these the women that raised the hoodlums, rioters, anarchists and terrorists?

Not all moms are good moms, and their status as mothers means nothing to me politically.  It seems like they are acting as human shields to enable rioting and attacks on Police.

What would you suggest for either side to do different to de-escalate tensions?

Stop committing violence / destruction of property.

The protesters have a very accommodating mayor, city Council, and governor. There is no reason to suspect that the city will not address their concerns. However, these rioters just like violence and destruction.

My thing is this, though - if these elected officials are so inept why haven't they been voted out?

I just cannot see how they all got this bad overnight.

Do you think it would be better to have the LOCAL police there addressing the issues rather than the outside forces?

1.  Most people vote straight party lines, regardless of effectiveness. Incumbents also have gigantic advantages in most elections.

2.  Most of these cities did not get bad overnight.  New York City has turned into a loveless hellhole in the past few months, but the other cities we are talking about have had issues for decades. 

3.  The local police are there. When I linked you to the head of their union, you called him disingenuous, despite his advocacy for police reform and his desire to end the violence.  At the same time, federal property is also being destroyed, and those properties file under the jurisdiction of the federal government.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2020, 03:54:53 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 338
The irony to calling the naked women a terrorist/rioter/anarchist/violent is that the whole point of the nudity is to demonstrate she is literally no threat to police.

"Terrorist" is thrown about too often nowadays.

People who lock police in a building and then shoot fireworks into that same building would seem to fit the bill.

I mean even by that standard, no not really. I think putting those people in the same category of individual as those who ran a plane into a building, shoot up a synagogue, or kidnap and murder school children is absolutely insane. I mean we all know the connotations of  that word and the loaded meaning it has in today's America.

Not all terrorism may be equal, but I don't see how those tactics/aims wouldn't qualify as terrorism. I'm open to an alternate definition of terrorism, defining levels of terrorism and even a justification for terrorism. But I can't deny that the described actions are terrorism as defined in the modern era.

Really? Because if you said terrorists were outside my building right now my first thought wouldn't turn to fire works or graffiti.

I mean I just think using that word is intellectually dishonest, even if it meets the broad definition of terrorism it certainly isnt what most people would think of when they describe terrorism. Its basically a dog whistle, a way to dehumanize those who you disagree with, a way to make their legitimate complaints seem  unworthy of consideration and to dismiss their protests as an illegal act. And a way to justify less than completely legal approaches to dealing with them.

And hey, not even judging. God knows I myself have probably been guilty of the same hyperbole from time to time.

You understand that fireworks are explosives, right?  Being fired into a courthouse with barricaded exits?

That one is from July 5 in Portland. Several officers were injured by a fireworks that night, and those were not within an enclosed, flammable space.

I do understand that. I dont think it qualifies as terrorism. I think the cops have done things during the course of this event that are arguably as dangerous as anything any of the protestors have done. I dont think they are terrorists either.  I don't agree with a lot of behavior I've seen during the cruse of these protests, but I just can't get THERE.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:05:58 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2020, 04:45:32 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wall-of-moms-portland-oregon_n_5f15a73ac5b6cec246c5990e

Are these the women that raised the hoodlums, rioters, anarchists and terrorists?

Not all moms are good moms, and their status as mothers means nothing to me politically.  It seems like they are acting as human shields to enable rioting and attacks on Police.

The protesters have a very accommodating mayor, city Council, and governor. There is no reason to suspect that the city will not address their concerns. However, these rioters just like violence and destruction.

There is video footage on USA Today of the 'wall of moms' being completely peaceful - not one rock or bottle thrown, not one violent blow struck and not one bit of property being damaged by them - and of armed agents in military gear tossing tear gas at them.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2020, 05:10:54 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2683

My thing is this, though - if these elected officials are so inept why haven't they been voted out?

I just cannot see how they all got this bad overnight.

Do you think it would be better to have the LOCAL police there addressing the issues rather than the outside forces?

1.  Most people vote straight party lines, regardless of effectiveness. Incumbents also have gigantic advantages in most elections.

2.  Most of these cities did not get bad overnight.  New York City has turned into a loveless hellhole in the past few months, but the other cities we are talking about have had issues for decades. 

3.  The local police are there. When I linked you to the head of their union, you called him disingenuous, despite his advocacy for police reform and his desire to end the violence.  At the same time, federal property is also being destroyed, and those properties file under the jurisdiction of the federal government.

Roy -

I do not know Darryl. For all I know he is probably a decent man.

My thing is this -

Things in POR are BAD, right now. I sincerely do not think they got this bad overnight. Neither do I believe these elected officials, did - either.

I believe these elected officials ARE trying to do the Right Thing - as in listen to the protesters AND support the Police. These two - despite Pres. Trump's DEMONIC attempts to divide - are NOT exclusive from one another.

It has taken a probably UNNECESSARY visit from these Federal Officers - via Trump - protesters who - for the MOST part - are PEACEFUL - General National Unrest - and a President that has NO intentions to bring people together for things in POR to get THIS BAD.

That is my ONLY issue with this.

President Trump has ZERO intention to bring folks together and has EVERY intention between now and Jan 2021 to sow discord and keep an "Us versus Them" Nation.

We are BETTER than this. I know we are.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:18:33 PM by GreenFaith1819 »
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2020, 07:00:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27133
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

There is video footage on USA Today of the 'wall of moms' being completely peaceful - not one rock or bottle thrown, not one violent blow struck and not one bit of property being damaged by them - and of armed agents in military gear tossing tear gas at them.

The Portland police declared a riot, and legally ordered everybody to disperse. If they refused to move after being ordered, then teargas is a reasonable tactic.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1379
SALEM, Ore. (AP) — The Navy veteran stands passively in Portland, Oregon, amid swirling tear gas. One of the militarized federal agents deployed by President Donald Trump swings a baton at him with full force. With both hands. Five times.

Under the assault, 53-year-old Christopher David seems like a redwood tree — impervious to the blows. But in a video shot by a reporter, another officer — wearing green military camouflage, a helmet and gas mask — sprays David full in the face with what appears to be pepper gas.

Video of the Saturday night incident has gone viral. Accounts of it have been reported by news outlets in the United States and around the world.

Today, David, who suffered two broken bones in his hand, finds himself a reluctant symbol of the protests taking place in Oregon's largest city and the federal response to it. Militarized officers from a handful of agencies have been using tear gas, flash-bangs, pepper spray, “less-lethal” impact weapons and other munitions to disperse crowds.

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2020, 03:59:10 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 151
And this thread is an example of why the protest in Portland are the way they are. Congratulations guys.

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2020, 05:15:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 796
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion
Locking this thread. Lots of baiting, condescending remarks and personal insults being thrown around, not to mention half the posts are unrelated at this stage. Everyone cool off.